Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Diagnosing Abdominal Pain...Intestinal Infection or Muscular

User Profile
I have been experiencing pain in the right area of my rib cage towards the center. About 2 months ago, I went to see the doctor when it was not as bad. I was given an ultrasound but the doctor couldn't find anything wrong. But by listening to my abdominal area with a stethescope, he said that it sounded 'hyper' and was probably an intestinal infection. I was given 2 days of antibiotics and left it at that.

Recently, this pain has been getting worse. If I press that area of my ribs, it feels like they're badly bruised or something. Stretching or excessive movement seems to aggravate the pain or bring it on. Possibly the pain is coming from below my ribs but i'm not sure. Breathing isn't a problem and my stomach is fine. I also don't drink alcohol or smoke or play sports so I don't have any injuries. I don't think it would be due to my lactose intolerance either because I always take Extra Strength Lactaid before eating any dairy products. The only thing I can think of is that I use the computer about 2-3 hours a day (more on weekends) on the bed, kind of hunched over it. I sometimes tend to lean more onto my right side because i'm right handed with the mouse. Could this be related? But if so, why has it worsened even though I haven't used the computer in the past week?

I'd appreciate any help or advice that anyone can give me. I've had to leave the country that I have medical insurance in due to a family emergency... So i'm in a country with no medical insurance for another 2.5 weeks. I'm really concerned about this problem because i'm constantly aware of it and will be on a plane for about 18 hours on my return trip.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2006
Intestinal Disorders Answer A561
It seems that the pain you are experiencing originates from the abdominal/thoracic muscles. Muscle pain in this region can be caused by your specific style of working. You can consult your doctor and ask for more information about treatment options such as taking some aspirin and applying a non-steroid anti-inflammatory balsam to the local area (ketoprofen or diklofenac).
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.