What are your odds of having a good and healthy baby with diabetis?
What are some off the risks?

What are the odds of your baby having it?

Just wondering thanks for answering
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Your chances are very good if it is planned and your blood sugars are under very good control. I asked my doctor about the chance my son will get it and he said less then a 6% chance a baby born to a non diabetic has a bigger chance of getting it.
|

replied April 1st, 2006
Thank you!
|

replied April 4th, 2006
I am 24 and I have had diabetes for 14 years. My first pregnancy was not planned and my blood sugars were not under control when I got pregnant. The nine months were extremely hard on me, my husband and our unborn child. I went into the hospital 7 different times, 4 of the times was because of dka. And the 7th time I went in I was 7 1/2 months along and was kept there until my daughter was born. Thankfully she born healthy and happy, just a little big (almost 9 lbs.), and the delivery was the easiest part of the nine months. With my second pregnancy it was planned and my blood sugars were controlled. This time around was much easier on me and my family. Our second daughter was also born healthy and happy. As far as i've been told though, a baby that has been born from a diabetic has no more chance of becoming diabetic than anyone else. (type 1)
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Chance of having healthy babies is similar to normal population if diabetes is well controlled.
Regular antenatal check ups should be done.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.