Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Mono Has Returned - Spleen/liver Hurting - No Support

I am suffering from a relapse of mono and no one seems to understand how horrible I feel. My husband thinks it is mental and my parents thinks this is all normal, but let me tell what is going on

i had mono when I was about 10 yrs old for 9 months. Finally, they removed my tonsils and it went away and until 2 months ago, I have never thought about it.

So two months ago I was in tears because of my body aching. I went to the doctor and he asked if I had ever felt this way before and in tears I first told him no but then remembered when I was 10 with mono I was this pained. He ordered a bunch of blood work - 2 weeks later (>:( ) he told me I had mono again. A week after that I called complaining of stabbing pains on my left side - did an ultrasound. Again, two-weeks later they returned the results as normal, but during the 2-week wait the pain has gotten worse.

I hate to breath deep bc it hurts; I don't want to eat because it hurts; my entire left and right side of my back and ribs hurt; I feel like crying at the drop of a hat bc I just want to feel better; I am a 26-yr-old mother of two with a full-time career - by this statement rest is hardly an option. I have tried to rest, done nothing on the weekends, and slowed down to a pace I am not used to. I have swollen glands (no sore throat), and all my other glands hurt. Even my ankles, behind my knees, and the back of my arms are in pain.

Is this normal? Please answer!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 19th, 2006
I Feel Ya!
I am also sick with mono and have an enlarged spleen. You really should be on bed rest. Don't lift anything that feels to heavy. Don't participate in any sports or rough housing. An impact could cause the spleen to rupture. I always feel more pressure after eating too much, so try and eat small portions but more often during the day. Try to stay in bed as much as possible and if your better half thinks your faking, let them know they have a good chance of already having it and soon it will be them needing you! In sickness and in health right! You can't get better if you don't rest! And if you are a smoker you have to quit for now.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
Mono
I had mono when I was 10 years old. I have had the sharp pain under my ribs on the left side since 2004. I will be 50 years old in Jan. I have suffered through removal of kidney stones twice, extreme female problems and colon problems. I have had MRIs, Cat Scans, Dozens of X-Rays and hundreds of blood test and 5 different doctors. My regular doctor ran a test for mono and lime disease and I was positive for mono disease. I have ran a fever for years and had to resign from my job due to the pain I was going through. I have had hives as large as silver dollars and after years, I am still fighting hives. I take a tremendous amount of medication since this sickness effects my diabetes, cholesterol, eyesight, joint pain and everything else. THis is very depressing since I have been fighting this for so many years. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
I am learning that mono isn't being taken as seriously as it should be. I had it myself this past march. The doctor didn't know I had it. She just put me on some random antibiotic to get rid of the swollen lymph nodes and I ended up with a full body rash. Turns out that will happen if you take antibiotics when you have mono. Since then, I have almost constant fatigue. I was working out everyday anyway. But I was catching every little thing that came around. I have a fever, sore throat and fatigue almost weekly. And I am tired no matter how much I sleep. So i went back to the doctor who told me that mono takes a full five years to escape your system, and reprimanded me for exercising. She told me quite specifically NOT to exercise for the next YEAR. She said to quit softball and be a couch potato unless i want to end up relapsed and in the hospital. The words "couch potato" are REALLY not good as I am also ADHD. I understand the fatigue. Sometimes it's infuriating, because my mind is racing but my body is exhausted. The husband should absolutely be supportive. Exhaustion like this cannot be faked. And the test results don't lie. As far as your spleen, maybe go see and endocrinologist. Someone who specializes in glands. That knows how to REALLY look at things. You definitely don't want to rupture your spleen. And rest as much as you can. I know it's not always feasible. I'm a massage therapist. My job is very VERY physical and taxing. But I rest as much as I can. There is nothing else TO do. Just listen to your body.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...