Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Will residual numbness after herniated lumbar disk and surge

User Profile
I am just wondering if after a year the numbness will ever change and also sometimes the foot has pain like little shocks going through it,is that the nerves trying to fire or is it just really random nothings?Sometimes the outer lateral side of my foot will feel very bruised when I know nothing could be wrong with it,I guess I really just want to know what is happening when these sensations take place,none of this really changes my active lifstyle but I am training for the 60km breast cancer walk and am unclear about the bruised feelings that sometimes happen,long questions I know but have been looking for someone to ask for a long time,thanks for any help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2006
Back Pain Answer A809
The lower extremities are innervated by spinal nerves that come from the lumbar and sacral region of the vertebral spine. Every spinal nerve divides into two roots as it leaves the spinal cord. The spinal nerve therefore divides into an "anterior root" and a "posterior root". The roots reunite into a common spinal nerve that exits the spinal column via the inter-vertebral foramina. Anterior roots contain motor nerve fibers that innervate muscles, causing them to contract. Posterior roots contain sensitive fibers that bring information from the body (in this case, the leg) to the central nervous system about pain, touch, and temperature. Pressure on the anterior spinal roots can cause motor symptoms such as muscle weakness or even paralyses. Pressure on the posterior roots can cause sensitive symptoms such as: itching, false sensations, and numbness. According to the localization of the symptoms you describe, your doctor can estimate which spinal nerve(s) is/are damaged. By removing the herniated disc, further nerve damage can be possible eliminated at that location...but the nerves that have been already damaged can’t be repaired completely so there are always some residual symptoms.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.