Anyone have low iron? I have to take an extra iron pill everyday because the doctor said my iron was really low....Kinda scary because I was told that someone with low iron could possibly hemmorage while giving birth....Yikes
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2006
Supporter
Re: Low Iron
pachopperkyle wrote:
anyone have low iron? I have to take an extra iron pill everyday because the doctor said my iron was really low....Kinda scary because I was told that someone with low iron could possibly hemmorage while giving birth....Yikes

don't worry about it. I have low iron and have to take the pills too. My doctor said nothing bad like that. And she would if there was a chance. The pills suck though, they can make you constipated. And if you can go, your poop may smell like metal. It's gross.
|

replied March 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks for sharing that!
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2006
Supporter
No problem.
|

replied March 5th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, I have low iron. I've had it all my life, but just recently starting taking iron pills. They are nasty! My doctor didn't say I was a higher risk of hemmoraging, but if I were to hemmorage it would be a lot tougher on me than if I had a good iron count. So i've been on these a couple of months....So hopefully it has helped! My mom also invites my hubby and I to dinner I don't know how many times a week, because she has been making a lot of stuff high in iron. I'm 24 years old and my mom still makes sure I eat right lol. She loves me!
|

replied March 5th, 2006
Experienced User
Hi I just had my baby on the 26th of february and after delivering I had blood work done and one of the first thing they check for is an iron count and mine was low too...But he said it is very common and like you said if it were life threatening like hemoraging he would have told me so don't worry=) good luck and happy delivery..Tiffany
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Experienced User
My iron levels weren't low last time my blood were taken but my iron store were getting low so i'm also on iron tablets. As well as the constipation they can also give u an upset tummy. I started feeling sick about 30min after I took them in the morning and it lasted most of the day so I halfed the dosage and feel much better.
|

replied March 7th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Sarah, the pharmacist told me to take them on a full stomach and try not to eat dairy for 2 hours before or after you take them....Or at least don't do it often. I've yet to have a problem taking them this way. Just a tip I thought i'd share. I hate taking them, but they have helped me so much. I feel like I have more energy, i'm not as tired as before. I also have color in my face now. Before I was soooooooo pale....All my life. Then after I started taking iron, I have color!
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2006
Supporter
hopefulmjz wrote:
sarah, the pharmacist told me to take them on a full stomach and try not to eat dairy for 2 hours before or after you take them....Or at least don't do it often. I've yet to have a problem taking them this way. Just a tip I thought i'd share. I hate taking them, but they have helped me so much. I feel like I have more energy, i'm not as tired as before. I also have color in my face now. Before I was soooooooo pale....All my life. Then after I started taking iron, I have color!

i am extremely pale, always have been. I've been taking the iron for a month and I think if anything I look more pale. And i'm more tired.
|

replied March 8th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Oh, that's not good. Have you tried taking the full dose on a full stomach, but not with dairy? I have a hard time avoiding the dairy, on occassion it's alright i've heard...Just not all the time. When you take it with dairy, the dairy absorbs the iron and it doesn't stay in your system. I also have been eating things high in iron on top of my pill. Total brand cereal is high in fiber. I have been getting the total raisin, because raisins (even tho I don't like 'em) have a little extra iron (not a whole lot, but every little bit counts)
i think one bowl has like 18g fiber, which is half of what you should get a day. Also dark leafy veggies (spinach is a good source) red meat. Liver is very high in iron, but pregnant women should avoid this as there are other things in it that aren't good for the baby. Also the skins from baked potatoes are a really good source of iron. Well, I hope things get better for you and your iron gets up there!!! Take care.
|

replied March 8th, 2006
Experienced User
It didn't seem to matter when I took then or what I ate the dosage was just too much for my system to handle. (even full stomach and no dairy, with a big glass of water etc etc) my midwife even has me on the iron tablets which are most gentle on your stomach! Lol. Even with the dosage halved I am feeling much better and like hopefulmjz I have colour too :-)
|

replied March 9th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure i'm anemic due to my always being tired. When I had my periods i'd have to take an iron supplement to boost my levels. I've yet to start taking them cuz I didn't know I could. I just associated the sleppiness to being preggy.

Is the supplement yall are taking "slow.Fe"?? It's like a time released iron capsule....

The constipation is another thing that I have to try to avoid..I had a cyst removed from my tail bone about a year ago and the scar tissue is extreemely sensitive. (another reason why i'm going drug free) I need to be able to feel if something goes wrong. But constipation now would be terrible, being that we're at a higher risk for hemmeriods in the 3rd trimester! Yikes!!!!

Let me know,
sarah

ps...Can the Dr. Take your iron levels in your urine?? Mines always been done thru blood, I just hate needles!!
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2006
Supporter
babymajic0506 wrote:
i'm not positive but i'm pretty sure i'm anemic due to my always being tired. When I had my periods i'd have to take an iron supplement to boost my levels. I've yet to start taking them cuz I didn't know I could. I just associated the sleppiness to being preggy.

Is the supplement yall are taking "slow.Fe"?? It's like a time released iron capsule....

The constipation is another thing that I have to try to avoid..I had a cyst removed from my tail bone about a year ago and the scar tissue is extreemely sensitive. (another reason why i'm going drug free) I need to be able to feel if something goes wrong. But constipation now would be terrible, being that we're at a higher risk for hemmeriods in the 3rd trimester! Yikes!!!!

Let me know,
sarah

ps...Can the Dr. Take your iron levels in your urine?? Mines always been done thru blood, I just hate needles!!

the iron I take is a prescription that my doctor gave me. As for taking your iron levels in your urine I have no idea. You could always ask your doctor. I hate needles too, they suck..Lol.
|

replied February 1st, 2013
FeraMAX 150 does not have any side effects and can be taken with other pre-natal pills. Visit their site feramax.com for more information.... And, for a limited time go to their site and fill out the quick survey at the top of the home page to get a $2 Tim's card just for filling out the 20 second survey.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...