I am considering gastric bypass and have bipolar disorder, mild not severe. I am afraid that if I disclose this to my surgeon, he will find me not eligible for surgery. Anyone had surgery with this diagnosis? Input would be greatly appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2009
I have bi polar and adult ADHD. I have the gastric surgery about 18 months ago. I didn't have a problem with my doctor as I think my weight had contributed to alot of episodes of depression. Since the surgery I have realised that my weight wasn't really the problem, it was my head all along. Being thinner won't make you happy - as long as your honest with your doctor and on your medication you'll be fine. Oh and by the way I've lost 47 kilos in 18 months.
|

replied September 29th, 2011
Gastric Bypass surgery
Do not get gastric bypass. It will ruin your life!! My daughter had it and suffers from severe depression. My daughter now suffers from a severe chemical imbalance. They told her after the surgery she will get depressed, and that it will go away. It never did, and it has been 5 years. Now she is an alcoholic because of the depression. Without most of your stomach the alcohol goes straight to your bloodstream. A danger of blood alcohol poisoning. I don't expect her to live much longer! GET THE LAP BAND!! It does not alter the body or change the brain chemistry..
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...