Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar Disorder And Gastric Bypass Surgery?

Has anyone had gastric bypass since their diagnosis. I am just over 100lbs over weight and am seriously considering it, but don't know whether or not to tell my surgeon about my disorder-afraid it would make me ineligible for the surgery. I am not really good about taking my meds anyhow, so what if I just quit them until the surgery is over????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 21st, 2010
gastric bypass and bipolar depression
I am 4 years since gb surgery. Somehow it worstens the bipolor depression. Meds are not as effective and the anxiety and depression will effect every aspect of your life. I had lap band first but converted after complications. I wish I never had. I felt wonderful after lap band.....horrible since gb.
|

replied April 5th, 2010
Bipolar, gastric bypass patient
Dear skatooli
I have been diagnosed with bipolar. Symptoms were complicated and misdiagnosed prior to my gb surgery. I had the surgery to resolve issues with a misdiagnosed "sleep disorder". The first year was wonderful, however in the last year.. my symptoms are returning with a full throttle of Bipolar symptoms and complications. I am afraid to be treated, due to the long list of negative side effects, including weight gain! I am researching natural remedies and found a few that were helpful, plus come in liquid form for easy absorbtion. I also found out that I am highly allergic to gluten, yeast, wheat and dairy!!! I lost a significant amount of weight after the surgery, but doubled it when I cut these foods out of my diet. I experience the severe mood swings, elation to depression.. etc, when these foods are absent and I detox, they are almost non existant. You may want to try detoxing off of gluten and yeast first and see if you find any benefits! A wellness doctor, can help guide u into a natural treatment vs the harmful medications on the market. I will keep you updated! Write me. Hang in there and God Bless!
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
I am 1 year post op and in the last 6 months I experienced depression to a level I had never experienced prior to surgery. After a few months, I tried to take my life and after being unsuccessful I spent 5 days in the hospital. Unfortuantly I was treated by doctors and nurses that had little to no knowledge of the Baratric surgery and malabsorbtion has now become a huge problem. I was later diagnosed with Biopolar but have struggled with medications. At this point none of my doctors can figure out what meds work and I struggle everyday. I have been putting on weight which unfortunatly is a side effect of most of the meds for biopolar. I wish I could give you the answer I know you need but only you can do your research and weight your options. Good luck on your quest and I hope I gave you some insite.
|

replied July 17th, 2012
Bipolar Disorder - Gastric Bypass Surgery
Yes, I had surgery in 2007. I am meeting my psychiatrist today to discuss options. I take Lamictal as an ODT, so it breaks up in my mouth. That helps a lot. I don't recommend liquid zoloft as it is 12% alcohol. I did find a liquid prozac, which has hardly any alcohol in it, so I am going to discuss that as an option. My husband has noticed that my symptoms keep getting worse. Well, zoloft kills my stomach, so my compliance isn't good.
|

replied August 24th, 2012
I know some bipolar and/or depression medications are available as a skin patch. My dr. told me that patches, injections, and inhalants were best for me, due to post GB absorption issues. Oral meds work best in liquid or chewable forms. Also, ask your dr. if you can break pills up before swallowing them as they will absorb better this way. Some pills can be taken that way, others can't. I was told to avoid extended release meds as the time release particles pass through the stomach and intestine in GB patients very quickly and therefore can't be absorbed efficiently.
|

replied September 14th, 2012
Links between gastric surgery and depression
I had a gastric band fitted in May of 2011, it feels like the worst decision I ever made. The first six months were fine but since then the weight has been static and now it's going back on.
I am asking for it to be removed as it's affecting my mental and physical health. I may have lost some weight but I am now struggling with self harming thoughts.
I'm 50 for gods sake, I keep trying to tell myself to get a grip, I feel like i'm going insane!!!
After 16 months I still have to force myself to vomit occasionally due to a blockage. I can't eat in public in case that happens, so no social life either. This sucks!!!!!!!!!
|
Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....