Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety is Controlling my Life....what can I do?

User Profile
I have been suffering from anxiety and depression from a young age. I had counceling for my depression when I was 16 as it got worse when my mother died from breast cancer, I had a traumatic childhood with my mother and father physically fighting etc...however I have never had help for my anxiety and 2 years ago I even took an overdose.

I would like to get help but I dont really know where to start. I feel as if my life is being controlled for me and as time goes by I find my symptoms get worse...some days I cant even leave the house and find doing everyday things almost impossible. I also had a miscarriage feb 2005 and since then I have found coping very difficult.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2006
Anxiety & Stress Answer A834
It seems that you would benefit from the expert help of a mental health professional like a psychiatrist. You can explore both pharmaceutical medications and psychotherapy to help you cope with anxiety and the loss of your baby to a miscarriage. There are various antidepressant drugs currently on the market. A psychiatrist, for example, can recommend some of the new generation antidepressants like: Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline); Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (venlafaxine, duloxetine); Norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (bupropion), and/or Combined reuptake inhibitors and receptor blockers (trazodone, nefazadone, maprotiline, mirtazepine). Further, you may benefit from individual or group therapies. where you can begin to connect with others. You are not alone. The first step is to ask for help. Word of mouth is generally the way that people come by good counselors...or you can consult your general practitioner to ask for a reccommendation. Then, you can give yourself a break knowing that you are on the way to feeling better.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.