I'm a 23 year old male.. I don't consider myself "overweight," but I do have those few extra pounds.

When I 21, I was very active in hockey -- played almost 2 times a week in games as well as another 2 nights for practices. I consider this the only time in my life when I was actually "in shape."

then I broke my leg, rehabbed and had a rod in there until I was 22. I finally got the rod removed last june, and now i'm finally returning to hockey -- i've finally regained my confidence and am not afraid of the leg no more.

The only problem is, now when i'm playing hockey, I get to a point when I have to throw up -- and I do so. Once I puke, I feel 10x better and I can actually perform better after doing so.

Is this bad? Or this common for reconditioning the body? I'm so confused and rather frustrated.

Please advise.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 3rd, 2006
Glad to hear you are back out there playing hockey :d

what's making you get to the point when you have to throw up?
Please do not get to a point where you mae your self throw up just because you feel you are performing better.

Oh yeah, those "extra pounds" will shed off your body with the more activity you have .. Esp now when your back in the rink.
|

replied March 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Hi mschiano:

are you very physically exhausted when you throw up? Many people, even conditioned athletes will throw up after heavy physical exertion. It is not uncommon for people to throw up after exerting themselves in a long strenuous run, etc. It is just a reaction from your body that says its working pretty hard. Also, try not to eat big meals or something heavy about 2 hours before practice. That may help. Just a small snack, preferably something healthy, about an hour before. Don't forget to stay hydrated too. Drink about 16 oz. Of water in the hours before a workout of any kind and then make sure you have a little to drink during, and of course afterwards. If you are dehydrated you could experience nausea, and if you throw up you are losing a good amount of your fluids as well as electrolytes. A sports drink like gatorade is good for replacing electrolytes. This is probably your body just getting used to more intense physical activity again.

If your need to throw up does not continue to decrease as you get into shape, then I would consult a physician. Hope this helps. Have a great time playing hockey! :)
|

replied March 5th, 2006
I'm not forcing myself to throw up. I just get to a point where I know I am about to throw up, and I do so.

That "point" is typically after a long shift of major skating. Typically I can feel my body leading up to that point. That is, I can almost call it when i'm going to throw up -- "i know after this shift, i'm going to puke."

i don't feel like i'm going to pass out, have a heart attack, or anything like that. I feel it in my stomach as well as through my breathing. Sure enough, I puke.
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Experienced User
Yeah... I would say that this is most likely just fatigue that comes with hard exercise. I wouldn't worry about even though I know it probably really sucks. But if it does keep happening frequently I would probably consult your doctor. Good luck!
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....