Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Help - the New Symptoms Don't Stop Coming!

I have been diagnosed with anxiety. It all started with the stressful year last year and then I caught a virus - nothing major but enough to set off the alarm bells. I started having trouble catching my breath, couldn't fill my lungs, very emotional, nausea, not eating etc. Etc. Several visits to the doctor and er room it was decided that I suffer from anxiety. I have been on celexa for about 5 weeks now and it has definitely helped. They symptoms are still there but I am better able to manage them and talk my way through them. I have seen a few different mental health professionals and have finally found one that I really like. We are starting cbt this week - I am hoping that will help and will eventually lead me to not have to be on the medications long term.

We have had a common cold going around our house for the past couple of weeks. For me the cold was sitting in my sinuses and put pressure on my ears. Of course I immidietely thought there was something major wrong but the pressure has subsided. I am still clearing my throat quite a bit likely as a result of the cold but I am having a hard time convincing myself of that. Also, when I lay down and breathe normally I can feel a slight vibration in what feels like my right chest area. Again I assume the worst and send myself into a minor panic.

If anyone has any insights that would be great. I need all the support I can get right now.

Thanks, dk
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 27th, 2006
Experienced User
I know exactly what you're going through. I've gone to the drs. Many time and they always tell me it's just anxiety, but when I get new symptoms and am so aware of every little thing happening to my body, it's hard to believe what they say. And it seems like every time I get over a symptom, a new one comes and makes me worry about that until I get it checked out, then after that I will get a new symptom and the cycle continues. I'm sorry I don't have any advice on how to get rid of it, except meds are helping me feel better some of the time. Just know that so many other people are going through the exact same thing as you. But also don't feel bad about going to see a doc if you are really worried about a symptom. It's your body and you have every right to make sure you're okay. There are a lot of us out there just like you!
|

replied February 27th, 2006
I've been through this before too (and likely will again eventually)! I'm not sure I can help with ways to talk yourself through these things or anything (because i'm not able to sometimes). However, for what you're going through *right* now, it sounds like you are being hyper-aware of your body. If you think the slight vibration is something you'd notice even if the room was really loud and you were watching a movie or talking with people, then I think it's fair to ask a Dr. About it.

If it doesn't seem to be connected to any trouble, and the only problem is that you're thinking too much about it, then it probably would just be a waste to go see one.

For me, it helps (a little) to try and get my mind on something else if possible. Read a book, watch a movie, call a friend or relative...Anything not to think about it.

How are the mental health pros working out? I've thought about that before, but it's weird because my more severe symptoms only show up when i'm under a lot of stress, so I don't know.
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Anxiety Symptoms
I got sick back about 3 months ago and although the major sickness went away, there were still lingereing symptoms, where my body just felt a little "off" - things like heart palpitations, general chest discomfort, dizziness, and what seemed like a fever (but never registered a temperature). Well this lasted about 3 months before I went to the doctor, he told me it was stress and anxiety, another doctor told me the same thing ( I didn't think it was anxiety as I always like crowded places, etc). In any case, has anyone felt this way for a long period of time. I am still able to function and complete day to day tasks, but I sure wish I was back to normal. Also, I took blood tests and my white blood count came back a little high.
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Anxiety doesn't have to be about social situations or crowded places.
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Experienced User
Hi I had a viral infection in my spinal fluid which started my anxiety off as I thought it was something major. Like you I was sensitive to every little body tingle or new feeling and I suppose sometimes I still am. I think when its your health thats affected its harder to let go and actually believe its only anxiety. I say only anxiety but we know anxiety is probably worse than some physical illnesses as its both physical and mental.

I read a great book by dr clare weekes any book by hers is great. It explained how when your anxiety is high your nerves become sensitised to any little change and thats why you are aware of it more. It should get better as you realise it really doesn`t matter how you feel. I get it sometimes not just with how I feel but if say the lighting in a room changes I panic that my eyes are going funny! Weird!

I`m much better now as I can control my thoughts and talk myself out of it I agree that distracting yourself with other activities is a great way to get your mind off yourself!
|

replied March 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Have u done a test to see if your a hypocondriac I doubt otherwise that your illness is down to anxiety
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...