Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Is It Normal to Have Clotting During Your Period?? (Page 1)

Im kind of scared cuz this time when I have my period I saw medium size clots, round shape, tmi sorry hehe, and my pd is quite heavy too. Anyone know if its normal to have clots during pd or something wrong with me? Should I be concerned? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 27th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Im Worried
Can someone pls give me ur thoughts on this thanks.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Yes, it is totally normal. My periods would have clotting and be very heavy at times. Hope that makes you feel better!
|

Aww
So clotting is normal. Im not preggy then ? : (
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Well probably not since you had your period. But I would say you are definately not pregnant if you have clotting. I am just guessing though! :)
|

replied February 28th, 2006
Experienced User
Clotting is normal. I am having my first af since getting off of birth control and it is heavy and there are clots.
|

What are clots? I am having a brown, slimy, like stringy substance... But only when I wipe... My period is due in 3 days.... Is this clotting?
|

Experienced User
I think they mean like "chunks" ..But not hard..What u describe isn't clotting
|

Hehe.. Ok.. Thanks for clearing that up.... Another question tho.... My period is due in 3 days, and I am already having mild cramps (have been since sunday), my nipples are like widening (my husband mentioned it to me) and I have been having that brown, slimy discharge.... Are these signs of my period? Or should I be concerned?
|

Experienced User
Megum, I think it is pre period. I got that the last time.
Just wait for a couple more days and see how it goes. If no period then you may want to do a preg test.
About period clots or chunks, I do have that too. Sometimes one hugh pc just flow through. I suspect that the tissue is not disintergrating that it should. I read somewhere that period should not have any clots.
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Megums1211 - i'd be interested to know if you get your period. I've had that brown, slimy, like stringy substance before too and wondered what it meant. I just had it for several days...It was more grayish pinkish at the beginning and dark brown at the end...Then I started my period today.

Snowygirl - sometimes I get a lot of clotting too...I've heard it's normal
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Yes I started my period yesterday. But i'm very concerned... Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and I was sopping wet in blood. I wore a super plus tampon to bed and normally that is more than enough to get me through the night... I was only asleep for about 4 hours when I woke up. And I was laying in a pool of blood :? I was also passing some big "clots" of blood..... And the clots (when they would pass through) would cause me really severe cramps... Any advice?
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
That really doesn't sound normal to me---clots shouldn't hurt they just come out like the liquidy stuff does---i'd call ur doc or emerge and see whats up with that =s
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
You think I should call the doc? I noticed a trend that every time I would have a few minutes of severe cramping, then I would pass what i'm assuming is a clot. It was deep red, almost looked black, and was like a little ball of slimy blood
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
The clotting is completely normal....It is just part of your lining the womb forms during your cycle to prepare for a fertile egg! And the brown slimy gunge is a mucus formed by your cervix. Nothing to worry about! Its what keeps your cervix closed during pregnancy. The cramps are normal too, its the muscles spasaming I often get it.

I was pregnant last year and miscarried at 4 months I got about 10 times the amount of clots and slimy stuff than normal. If it didnt all come out then you wud just be full of mucus. The spasms happen every month to push it all out, they are sometimes more noticable than others.

If blood clots come out a deep red they are fresh...Blood that is a few days old is often brown or black!

Also not wanting to upset anybody but you can concieve without knowing and for many reasons miscarry having a period that is heavier than normal that may be why u noticed the cramps. It is very common. It happens to every woman without them even knowing!

But dont let that put you off trying!!!! I tried with my ex for 1 1/2 years...We stopped trying and I stopped thinking about getting pregnant next thing I knew I was 2 months pregnant without knowing!! You could try that? Worked for me!! The mind is a powerful thing!!
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Clotting and cramping are normal but not when you are pregnant. I know from experience, every month when I had my period I would end up in the nurses room where they had beds for about 1 to 2 hours laying down, cramping until the clots stopped. Then I would be o.K., when I was at home I would take som ginger spice and put it in hot wate to disolve the ginger then after it cooled, I would drink it and it would help with the cramps and I would put my feet up for about 1 hour and that would work great even though the ginger and water woul sort of gag me.
If you feel that if you are cramping and bleeding my suggestion is to get to the Dr. I had two periods with both kids and I was cramping with both but that was mainly my body was getting ready for the baby's, and that is just the way my body was at the time as we are all different.
Megums1211, what you are goig thru does not soudn right at all you really need to go get checked out with a Dr.
Good luck to all!
|

replied March 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Clotting is normal for many women. I get big chunks that look like pieces of liver sometimes.

But if it is something that you personally have never experienced before, then you should see a doctor.
|

replied January 7th, 2009
brown discharge (kelis)
im on the pill the last couple of years, my periods used to be really heavy, but now they are alot lighter and after my periods i get this brown discharge, this has jus started the last 2 months. what is this, can anyone let me no please, im really scared... thanks
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2012
I was on the pill also and that brownish discharge you see is just the ending of your period I went to the doctor cause I didn't know wat it was and that's wat they told me
|

replied March 31st, 2009
I'm having blood clott, but only when i wipe. Is that normal?
Hi, I am 22 and I am a little worried. I had a miscarriage about 2 ears ago. I have not had a normal period since without the help of medication. I was using the generic for provera to help me have a period. I stoped taking it and I also stopped having a period. I didn't have a period from April 2008 to Dec 2008. The only reason i had a period in Dec is because a DR put me on BC. I am now seeing another DR because I want to get pregnant. he hasnt started me on any medication yet and my last period was in jan 09. this past sunday i started my period (without taking any medication) and there is hardly any blood on the pad. however, when wipe there is so many blood clots. but they look like almost dry and i dont go see my DR for another week. Does this sound normal?? I am freaking out!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
|

replied March 31st, 2009
Especially eHealthy
This sounds like your period. Why are you freaking out? Blood clots are the lining of your uterus, they aren't bad. They are annoying, but not bad.
|
Users who thank Mabel for this post: PINKIKKIN 
Quick Reply
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....