Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms Forum

Understanding Ovulation Bleeding and Lack of Bleeding During

User Profile
Please help!! Ok, I have been trying to get pregnant. I had my last period on january 21st and finished on the 26th. I had sex on the 31st of january. The thing is that im irregular!! My period dosent come somethings for up to 3 months. Ive only had my period regular once. Ok, this is my problem. I had sex again this last friday (umprotected) and so, I know it was too soon for my period to come or something. I wasent expecting it yet. But yea, I had sex friday and last night, I saw that I had a pinkish spot. Then, today in the morning when I was taking a shower, blood came out. I was like "what the hell is this??" since my period is not normal. Could that be normal? You think that that could mean that the fertalized egg is ataching itself to my tissue and maybe thats why im bleeding? Because this is not normal for me. What could this mean? Should I take this as a good sign?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2006
Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms Answer A541
The vaginal bleeding (spotting or menstruation) that you’ve described is definitely NOT a sign of pregnancy. You can take a home pregnancy test to assure yourself. “Implantation bleeding” doesn’t exist. There could be “ovulation bleeding” because during ovulation there is a temporary decrease in estrogen levels. After ovulation, the estrogen levels increase again. Then, the corpus luteum (“yellow body”) starts to produce progesterone that protects the uterus’s mucosa and causesl ovulation bleeding to eventually stop. Soon after ovulation (not more than 24 hours), conception begins in the ovarian tubes. After conception, the fertilized egg travels through the tubes, enters the uterus and embeds itself into the uterus’s mucosa (implantation) 8-10 days after conception. An embedded and fertilized egg cell (whose development began during travel through the ovarian tubes) is now called an embryo. The embryo’s outer layer produces a hormone called "human Chorion-gonadotropin (hCG)" that can be detected by pregnancy tests. This means that pregnancy can be detected 5 days before an expected period. There isn’t any normal vaginal bleeding during implantation as in “ovulation bleeding” (previously described). In the following days, an expected menstruation won’t happen...That is the first sign of possible pregnancy. This is very significant for women with regular cycles; this is not true in your case.
In your case as with many women, irregular cycles have different durations of menstruation. Therefore, you can’t predict them, nor should you connect them with your decision to have sexual intercourse. Oral contraception can help you both to prevent an unwanted pregnancy and to normalize your cycles... but you have to consult a gynecologist first. You can use condom for protection any time you want.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.