I am 16yrs old. My name is caitlyn. I suffered from anorexia for about a year and half. I was hospitalized. I will not mention specific weights because I know it can trigger people. But I was at a bad point and pretty close to death. That hospital......Lets just say I hope it burns down. It helped me physically, mostly forcefully. Mentally it did absolutely nothing. I started beating it on my own. But my fear ( I had a specific fear causing my eating disorder. No, it was not body image related) still continued eventually I went into a day program at a place called high focus. That place is probably what saved me. Anyway im babbling now but about 2yrs later or so I gained much of the weight back and then some (mostly because I grew about 3inches) and my blood levels are now normal. The problem is I have osteoporsis, I found this out for the first time in the hospital. I was hoping now, 2yrs later, I would be almost free from it. But no, of course not, about a week ago I went for a bone density test and its still there. I have brittle old lady bones and I need to be on 1200mg of calcium otherwise it can turn into serious complications. Im scared..And I have been crying for about an hour now. I just wanted to finally be normal. But no of course not. So now I have the picture of pet cemetary in my head and im terrified I may end up with a hunch on my back or worse paralyzed from a fall of some sort. I have osteoporisis of the lumbar spine and my hips. Can anyone help or has anyone had experience with this. Im scared the 1200mg of calcium wont work. Just anything positive would help right now
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Sorry to hear about the calcium. I cant really empathise with the calcium... Although I do have low iron.. God I get so tired! So I have to take iron tablets. So I guess thats similar. Cause my iron stores are close to depleated from my bulimia. I have never had anorexia.. Although I did get pretty bad.. Thinner than what I am now (although id love to be it again.. But htats a different story!), but I guess you would know that with the anorexia came a multiple of different ongoing problems... One being brittle bones. Were you informed about these ongoing problems? Could that be why you are so upset?

I know it can be hard. Damn hard. But positive thinking and support means everything when your going through the rough time. Remind yourself that you are on the calcium.. Which means it will get better. You are mentally okay.. Is that right? And to be honest I think that is actually more important in the long run. You can fight this. It hasnt got to a point of no return - they have prescribed the meds for you to become healthy. I am 15.. Almost 16 yay. I have been suffering from bulimia for a year now. Im from australia. Where are you from? What was this thing that caused your eating disorder? If you dont want to asnwer, thats okay.

You can fight this because you are strong. Xx
|

replied February 26th, 2006
Well I have emetophobia. Which is a fear of vomiting. Im from new jersey by the way. As for being mentally ok...Well its as good as its going to get right now
|

replied February 27th, 2006
Experienced User
Fear of vomiting. I dont suggest being around me lol. Hope things get better. Xx
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....