Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Baby Names Forum

Asking For Suggestions...

I am expecting my third son in three months and just floating around ideas right now.

My other two sons are (first name, middle name, age):

madison kendall (10)
ashley campbell (7)

so you can see I much prefer "unisex" names.

I've been giving a lot of thought to my third child since I found out he is a boy. I still want to go with the unisex/non-traditional route, but so many of the popular unisex names are now being adopted by girls, I am actually really wanting to almost reverse the trend and take a less commonly used girls name and use it for my son. One idea I have is fallon, another might be darcy. Although I have been giving a lot of thought to both chelsea and britney of late (but I am going against britney as being too feminine now).

As both my other children have hard ka sounds for their middle names I would like to stick with that idea too. I was thinking kayla for example.

Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Some unisex names- shannon, loren, parker, taylor, kelly, erin or aaron, carrie/carrey...All I can think of for now. As for kayla...In my opinion it's still really feminine for a boy..But that's just my opinion. Good luck;)
|

Experienced User
Bailey, cameron, kasey, payton, kim, dion, greer, lindsay, devin, dakota, sascha, shelby, leigh or lee, parker.
|

Hi backhome22,

for all these suggestions. Here are my thoughts:

shannon
kelly,
carrie/carrey (and maybe kerry or keri)
cameron,
kasey (or casey)
payton (or peighton)
kim,
lindsay,
dakota,
leigh or lee (but with ashley in the family maybe not)

don't like
loren
parker
taylor
erin or aaron,
bailey,
dion,
greer,
devin,
sascha,
shelby,

when I got home, I checked out my list that I had been working on.

Chelsea
britney
amber
alexandra
fallon
kayla
lara/lana
kristen
shannon
lea/leah
leigh
kendra
savannah
summer
skye/skylar
tasha
lacy
darcy

thanks

lissa
|

Especially eHealthy
Do you live in the united states? I hope I don't sound rude but kids can be cruel enough as it is and naming your little boy amber or britney or savannah or summer or lacy (ok, most of your list) is just asking for trouble. Madison and ashley are fine as they're unisex but the names you have picked out are mostly flat out girls names. I'd seriously put a lot of thought into this. I love fallon though. Let us know what you choose!
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
How about jamie or taylor or jay or avery?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
iheartmybostonterrier wrote:
do you live in the united states? I hope I don't sound rude but kids can be cruel enough as it is and naming your little boy amber or britney or savannah or summer or lacy (ok, most of your list) is just asking for trouble. Madison and ashley are fine as they're unisex but the names you have picked out are mostly flat out girls names. I'd seriously put a lot of thought into this. I love fallon though. Let us know what you choose!

without offending you I have to agree with the above, the names in your list sound more feminine than unisex to me.

|

Yes I do live in the us and no, I don't want by boy to be teased. But I do want to choose an unusual/non-traditional name. As I said above, my other two boys are madison and ashley and these are so popular now as names (and mostly girls at that) that they are more likely to meet a girl with the same name than a boy (even though these are traditional boys and now unisex names).

What I was hoping to do, was take a lesser common (out of fashion) girls name that could work for a boy too and use that in a unisex sense. Does that make sense?

I have been getting a lot of positive reaction to fallon though.

And thanks for the link jolie - that looks really useful and I will look at that more closely later.

Lissa
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Oh and I forgot to mention I quite like fallon, I have never heard it before.
|

Especially eHealthy
My brothers in law have unisex names...

One is .Dana and the other is .Leslie

i've yet to meet another guy named either.......

Sarah
|

Thanks everyone.

Fallon grows on me all the time.

I also saw in my local rag two other names that caught my eye

montana
tiennan

and a search showed two names that people have been suggesting to me elsewhere taylor and morgan showed up as no 19 and 21 respectively in the girls ranking for my state last year and nowhere in the top 100 for boys.

I'd just prefer to stay out of the top 100 for either if I can.

Lissa
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Montana is ok for a boy.
Not sure about tiennan tho
like morgan and I love taylor for a boy. I think it must be more common as a boys name in england because I have heard of a few boys and girls named this.
So for me it def. Taylor or fallon. The more I think about it the more kayla is growing on me for a boy too.
|

jolie_3110 wrote:
montana is ok for a boy.

Not sure about tiennan tho
like morgan and I love taylor for a boy. I think it must be more common as a boys name in england because I have heard of a few boys and girls named this.

So for me it def. Taylor or fallon. The more I think about it the more kayla is growing on me for a boy too.

it's funny - taylor is like the no. 19 most popular girls name in my state right now and morgan is no. 21 and neither feature in the top 100 names for boys.

This is for me part of the challenge of finding a more unusual unisex type name. Which is why I went outside of the box for fallon.

It's funny that you say kayla is growing on you. I liked it too when I first heard it, but I have been flamed for that elsewhere. It's on my sublist as a middle name along with kendra/kenna. Probably won't use it, but I am not ready to give it up just yet either just because people are saying its a convention thing.

Lissa
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Taylor kenna ...There you are ...Perfect!!
|

replied February 24th, 2006
I'm still not sure about taylor, but I do like fallon (although some people have started saying it sounds like phallic lol).

Other ideas that I am playing with now are:

farren / farron / farran

auburn

lissa
|

replied February 26th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Charlie? That's a pretty all-round unisex name. Or sam, perhaps.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....