Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Complications during Pregnancy Forum

Low Amniotic Fluid And Measuring Small In First Trimester

Hi,

i'm 8 wks pregnant today, but when I went to my first appointment yesterday, my ob told me that the amniotic fluid is low and that the embryo is measuring small (it was measuring 7 wks 1 day, when I was 7 wks 6 days along). Is this cause for a miscarriage in the coming weeks, or could I end up having a healthy term baby?
Thanks,
christina
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper christinamuir
|

replied February 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
It could be something as simple as you're not as far along as they thought you were... There's no definite answer telling you how far along you are. Don't worry until you have reason to worry!
|

Especially eHealthy
Unless you know the exact day you conceived then something like 5 days difference should be a problem. Also drink lots of water and only water that should increase your amniotic fluid since amnoitic fluid is just your babys p the more fluid u give it the better he/she can expel it.
|

Extremely eHealthy
It says right on the u/s sheet---+ or - 5 days. So to be 5 days off from the u/s is normal. Dont worry--im sure everything is fine. And all baby's develop differently in the womb. God bless
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Re: Low Amniotic Fluid And Measuring Small In First Trimeste
christinamuir wrote:
hi,

i'm 8 wks pregnant today, but when I went to my first appointment yesterday, my ob told me that the amniotic fluid is low and that the embryo is measuring small (it was measuring 7 wks 1 day, when I was 7 wks 6 days along). Is this cause for a miscarriage in the coming weeks, or could I end up having a healthy term baby?

Thanks,
christina

it's possible that the egg fertilized later than you think. Sperm can survive up to an amazing 5 days sometimes. Most up to 48 hours or so.

A 5 day difference isn't a big deal, really. All of my daughters measured smaller than what I "knew" to be their edd's. They were born small too, so if you're petite, it would make sense that your baby "might" measure smaller than what's considered average.

What you want to be sure to do is drink about 1 gallon of water per day to help your fluids. Your blood mass increases during pregnancy, as well as your body making more and more amniotic fluid. I think it's something like 2 tb per day or something, but don't quote me on that.
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks for all of your help. This is actually my fourth baby and I haven't had low fluid or a baby measuring small with any of my other pregnancies, so I was really concerned when my dr told me the news. He also didn't sound too reassuring. He would say things like, 'well, I don't think this pregnancy is going to go very far' but then he would also say that I could come to my next appointment and everything will be fine. I just don't know what to think because of the mixed signals I was given from my Dr. I guess i'm half expecting to miscarry like my dr said, but at the same time i'm hoping for a miracle.
I'm going to drink more water like some of you have suggested, and hopefully that will help with the fluid levels.

Thanks again
|

replied September 10th, 2008
low amnoitic fluid
this is the 1st time i have posted anything. 3 years ago on
Aug 31st 2005 i gave birth to my daughter Charli Jean. She was stillborn. i didn't really understand what happened. They ask me during an ultrasound at 36 1/2 weeks if i had leaked any and i told them that i didn't think that i had. i followed everything like i was suppose to . i only gained 9 1/2 lbs. my bp was fine until 36 weeks it went up to 180/110. i went to the ob/gyn and my bp was fine her heart beat was 140. every thing was going great until my bp. the next week at my regular appointment my doc was checking everything and couldn't find a heartbeat. they scheduled me for an ultrasound and the tech went and got the doc. the doc came in and told us, our little girl had died. i don't understand why they didn't do an ultrasound the week before. the result was that my amnoitic fluid was low and her cord was around her neck 2 times. i don't know why they didn't check everything the week before. this was my 1st pregnancy and i have PCOS. I AM AFRAID TO GET PREGNANT AGAIN FOR FEAR OF THE SAME THING HAPPENING. TO ALL THE WOMEN OUT THERE, PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS AND GRILL YOUR DOCTORS. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU. IT HAS BEEN 3 YEARS AND IT STILL FEELS LIKE YESTERDAY. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL. MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU ALL.
|

Experienced User
That must have been scary. What did your ob say about the fluid did they say that it could cause miscarrying?
A girl I know was recently told that too and that they could do a medical abortion at 5 months because the baby was suffocating. (very very little fluid) Anyway, She didn't do it. She went on bed rest and took care of herself now the baby is here. God willing you will be fine Smile Good luck
|

Experienced User
Re: low amnoitic fluid
SAMSCHARLIJEAN wrote:
this is the 1st time i have posted anything. 3 years ago on
Aug 31st 2005 i gave birth to my daughter Charli Jean. She was stillborn. i didn't really understand what happened. They ask me during an ultrasound at 36 1/2 weeks if i had leaked any and i told them that i didn't think that i had. i followed everything like i was suppose to . i only gained 9 1/2 lbs. my bp was fine until 36 weeks it went up to 180/110. i went to the ob/gyn and my bp was fine her heart beat was 140. every thing was going great until my bp. the next week at my regular appointment my doc was checking everything and couldn't find a heartbeat. they scheduled me for an ultrasound and the tech went and got the doc. the doc came in and told us, our little girl had died. i don't understand why they didn't do an ultrasound the week before. the result was that my amnoitic fluid was low and her cord was around her neck 2 times. i don't know why they didn't check everything the week before. this was my 1st pregnancy and i have PCOS. I AM AFRAID TO GET PREGNANT AGAIN FOR FEAR OF THE SAME THING HAPPENING. TO ALL THE WOMEN OUT THERE, PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS AND GRILL YOUR DOCTORS. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU. IT HAS BEEN 3 YEARS AND IT STILL FEELS LIKE YESTERDAY. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL. MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU ALL.

Whoa! I also have PCOS and am 39 weeks pregnant. I am so sorry to hear that that had happened to you and your loss. I hope that someday you try again, and you have a beautiful baby boy or girl. I know you will have alot of support from everyone on here.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
i have PCOS and my doctor told me it was a miracle i got pregnant and didnt miscarry.. so this is my lil miracle baby =]
|

replied February 20th, 2009
amniotic fluid
is it safe 8centimeters amniotic fluid in 36 weeks pregnant
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2009
Experienced User
my baby is 34 weeks an is only weighing 3 pounds... just go with the flow, everything will be fine n if it isnt things happen for a reaosn, this is my 2nd attempt at a baby, the first one i learned things happen for a reason... but good luck xox
|

replied August 26th, 2009
Low Amniotic Fluid in 4th month of pregnancy....
I am on 4th month of pregnancy and suffering from Jaundice for the past two and half week..before jaundice i conducted ultrasound and found every think ok...but after two weeks of jaundice my doctor conducted u/sound and found that i have low Amm. fluid.(but other parameters of baby are ok)..she told me that it may be due to leakage...but i didn't experienced any leakage....then she told me that it may be due to some abnormality in the baby (like kidney or lungs)....and told me to wait for one month......
I am really worried....as this is my first baby....
Kindly suggest me what to do....
|
Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....