Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Is There a Link Between Seizures, Migranes And Bipolar Disor

I've had seizures for the past 25 years now [resulting from an auto accident]. I've been proned to have migraines since I was a little girl.

Now, my mil [who was a ped nurse], is saying that I am bipolar because I have days when i'm happy and days when i'm not. She has always stated that i'm bipolar since we've met.

I know that seizures and migraines go hand in hand; but, has anyone heard of seizures being linked to bipolar disorder?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2007
Hope This Helps You Understand :)
yes actually ..
i have read in a pamplet that i got from my doctor that stated that;

some people with epilepsy are at a higher risk of depression then the general population. depression is not the same as the sadness we all feel sometimes. if you are dpressed, you may;
*feel tired or sown all the time
*lose interest in people or things around you
*sleep too much or not enough
*have changes in your weight or appetite
*find it hard to concentrate.

Some people with seizure disorder experience sudden Mood Swings, if you experience mood swings, you may suddenly feel:
*Sad
*Afraid
*irritable
*Angry
*Full of dread.

i got this information from:
S.H.A.R.E.
Support, Hope, And Resources for Managing Epilepsy
|

replied May 20th, 2007
I don't know about a link between migraines, epilepsy and bi-polar disorder, but I do know that anti-seizure medications can mess with your moods as can migraines and the periods following both of those. I'm sorry but I would tell MIL to mind her own business unless asked or get her psyciatric degree before she's starts diagnosising you. Like I said sorry, but I've dealt with a similar issue myself, my MIL thinks she knows what's best for me and my hubby and I know nothing. You have enough to deal with, with seiz. and migraines without someone untrained to be diagnosing you. I have both seizures and migraines and there is a link between them. I also have mood swings and occasional depression, but I am not bi-polar, I've just gone thru physical and emotional **** dealing with everything.
Good luck to you. If you have any feeling YOURSELF that there may be something wrong with you see a TRAINED councelor or psyciatrist. A good councelor is also very helpful in just dealing with everyting you're going thru.
|

replied May 21st, 2007
Epilepsy And Bi-polar Connection
Thanks to all who replied to my quest! I'ts good 2 know there's others out there who has an idea of how frustrating this can be.

I have since decided that my MIL can think what she will. Afterall it is her
decision to think as she wishes. As for myself, I have taken the additude of "Can't change how or what other people think of (or about) me; I can
only change how I deal with "their comments". That's to say (as I would tell my kids) It don't matter what others think of you, it only matters what you know about you. If you know who you are and are fine with that .. it doesn't really matter what anybody (even MIL's) think.

thanks for the support!
|

replied May 21st, 2007
Your very welcome. It's nice to know I'm not the only one in this situaton with "diificult" MIL. I finally told mine I liked my doctor, trusted him and his opinions and as long as he was willing to work with me I didn;t need any other advice. Besides until you've been thru the situation we're in you have NO idea how it affects a person. And good for you on the positive attitude about yourself. Very Happy I have found that helps a lot. I've found people who are confident in themselves and don't need anyone's "advise" scare people like our MILs. Hang in there and good luck. PM me if you ever need to vent or anything.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...