Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

I Think He Pulled Out, Still a Risk?

Ok, so something bad happened the other night, I was raped by someone and I dont know if they had hiv or not...I mean, they've probably had many sexual partners, and they are rather old...I was just wondering the risk....I think he pulled out before he came, I cant remember, but I was just wondering if there was still a risk?
I've been to the police and hospital, but they cant test me till a week after it happened...So I have to wait till monday....But if anyone had any thoughts, that would really help me! I'm kinda going crazy with worry
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 22nd, 2006
Hiv Risks
Am sorry for what happened to you . They should go to jail. Officially , the center for disease and control states that you will only know if you are infected by hiv 3 months after the encounter . Normally , one would get infected within 25 days but that's an average .

To be sure, you need to get tested three months after the incident . Go to cdc's website so you can get a clearer picture of your risks . Wish I could help you but this is the best I can do .
|

Experienced User
Thank you so much, I didn't know it would take that long to find out! *bites finger nails off*
oh well, thanks so much anyway!
|

Experienced User
Reassurance
I'm so sorry to hear of your ordeal.
I hope I can offer some reassurance by saying that, given there is approx. 1% risk of infection per unprotected episode with someone who is hiv+, the odds are in your favour that you will remain negative. Especially if no ejaculation took place.
Do test after three months for a definitive result, which is likely to be negative.
Best wishes.
|

Experienced User
Ok that actually really helps, I mean, to be honest I was out of it so I cant he sure that he didn't ejaculate...But I dont remember it. But the fact that I dont know if hes infects, and the fact its only 1 percent chance...That soothes my nerves, thank you!
I will definatly get a test in 3 months!!!
|

Experienced User
They didn't run a rape kit test on you?
|

Experienced User
Yeah they did, but that doesn't involve hiv or std testing here in australia, it just involves getting forensic evidence :/
|

Experienced User
Response
I know that this wait will not be easy, since everything must be very uncertain for you, but please don't hesitate to contact me on this forum if you need further help or advice.
Hiv is not an easy virus to transmit, not at all, which is why the percentage risk is as low as it is. One cannot possibly put a definite figure on the risk, but through research into infection rates, this estimate is established - and approximate. Some sources put it as low as 1 in every 10,000 exposures. But remember, this is mere speculation. What you need to do is look at your situation and decide whether it warrants testing. Unfortunately, it does, but the odds are on your side.
|

Experienced User
Dont Worry. Try to Be Happy
Though sad to hear the incident, I feel that you are safe as god is with you.

If you are still within the 72 hours after the incident, consult your doctor for a prophylaxis if necessary to rule out any possibilities of any viral or bacterial infection. It could even probably be a std or anything else.

Regarding your hiv infection, though it is not possible to say anything right now, you could get yourself into self examination, to see if you find any serious ars within this window period. But do remember to test yourself after a 3 month period. In the mean time, I would advise you to take healthy food and be with your family and friends, to avoid feeling lonely and thoughts about what happened to you.

If you are a christian, pray along with me. I surely remember you in my prayers, may the good lord grant you peace and relief from this trauma.

God bless and regards
kiklis2k
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
God
'you are safe as god is with you'?

Was god with the millions of people who do become infected, including the babies born with hiv, or indeed other rape victims?

Maybe they didn't pray enough.

And by the way, it is not a good idea to search for symptoms. What is the point? Really, think about it, what is the point, given that symptoms of hiv are notoriously unreliable? A sore throat could be ars, but it could be a simple everyday infection - how does one determine either way? If they take the test after three months, why try to find things that could be hiv before this? What good would it be to a person to recognise a symptom, when the only reliable way to identify hiv is taking a test after three months?
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....