Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

General Question (Page 1)

Are you pro-choice or pro-life?
Pro-Choice
Pro-Life
55%  55%  [ 10 ]
44%  44%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 18
I'm new here and some of the posts seem to be rather long so I thought i'd start up a general question.
What are your opinions on abortion and why?
If you're pro-choice are there any 'conditions' on this (i.E time limit)
if pro-life are there any circumstances in which you would condone a woman terminating her pregnancy?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 20th, 2006
Experienced User
I cast my vote (pro choice) but i'm at work and don't have time to post a lengthy explanaition. And I can tell you it *will* be lengthy! Coming from being an adament to pro-lifer to an adament pro-choicer, i"m sure you' can imagine! I will post this evening in depth...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I casted my vote (pro-life)..Considering that I lean more to that side..Although there are some things that full out pro-lifers believe that I dont...I think abortion is right when rape has occured or the mother/baby is at risk of life...But the thing about abortion that I dont believe is right is when a girl is like oh my god I dont want stretch marks, or I dont want to get fat..I think thats being selfish and is a stupid reason to have an abortion ..I also dont see abortion being right when someone has them over and over ..Pretty much using it as a birth control...I dont want to blob on and on but there were some of my examples of what I think is right and wrong..

And I know sometimes women that use precautions still become pregnant...But everyone that has "sex" should know there is always a chance of pregnancy regardless if your on birth control or using condoms...I know that first hand I became pregnant while on the pill...Although I didnt have a abortion..Not saying that every womens story is like mine just making a valid point...
|

Experienced User
I am pro choice.. I will be back to give my reasonings, but at the moment I have to get off line so I can call my pain in the a**,but wonderful boyfriend. :) he insists that I call him.... Men,sheesh. =)
|

replied February 21st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Even in an ectopic situation where the embryo is not viable and it will likely kill the woman if not terminated?

I'm pro-choice, I believe in abortion on demand although I think late abortions should only be performed for specified reasons (such as ppd/maternal health problems). It's the womans decision, no-one else has the right to say that her actions are 'wrong' - unless you understand each individuals circumstance then there's no right to judge.
I think that women should be able to make a fully informed choice as to whether they continue a pregnancy or not.
|

Experienced User
I'm voted pro-life, but I am actually just anti-abortion. (i believe in the death penalty) I only agree with termination if the pregnancy is ectopic or any situation in which the mother would die. That is the only way. Because with an ectopic preg, the baby isn't viable, there is no way it can live. I don't believe in abortion for birth control, everyone risks getting preg when they have sex. They should be prepared for the consequences.
Ashlee
|

Extremely eHealthy
" I would agree to admintion to hospital and when and only when the tube burst would I allow doctors to intervine because then my baby would have died a natural death."

and the chances are so would you. Ectopic pregnancies are usually fatal if left and are a leading cause of maternal death - what purpose would it serve to leave an unviable pregnancy in a position where both the embryo and woman will die? It doesn't seem particularly pro-life to be honest, letting both die as opposed to the embryo :?
|

Extremely eHealthy
"ermmm we are talking personal opinion here"

i know, I am simply trying to understand it

" selfish? Maybe but if so then I hold my hands up to being selfish my child will leave my body when it so chooses not when I choose it to that is the way of nature ."

alot of modern medicine interferes with nature in order to save lives. I appreciate it's your opinion but I don't quite understand why you'd choose to die because of an unviable pregnancy, what about existing family?
|

Extremely eHealthy
I can understand that but there's a difference between an embryo who can survive and one who will die regardless and kill you too

each to their own I guess
|

Especially eHealthy
I'm pro-choice for on-demand abortions until the fetus reaches viability (around 25 weeks) ie around 5 months. After that, I feel that I personally would not have an abortion unless it was for health reasons (my health or the baby's). However, women still have the choice to do so even if I personally wouldn't.

Women do of course have the choice to keep their babies, wanted and un-wanted. They also have the choice to give them up for adoption. They also have the choice to abort them.
|

replied February 27th, 2006
I Am Pro-life!
I am pro-life!
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2006
Advanced Support Team
I can not ans. This poll becuase I am intermediate...
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I am 199&9/9% pro-choice. The next thing the state or government will be telling us is that we cannot have sex and what we do behind closed doors is none of their business unless it involves a child or an animal.
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Re: General Question
moo wrote:

if pro-life are there any circumstances in which you would condone a woman terminating her pregnancy?

i have bounced between pro-choice and pro-life.I think there are only 2 ways I would ever get an abortion:rape,or if there is something seriously wrong with the embryo. Outside of that I think you had sex so you deal with the outcome.But I do not hold it against someone if they get one bc it was their own choice and only they know what is best for them.
|

replied March 4th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Re: General Question
melissa_20 wrote:
moo wrote:

i have bounced between pro-choice and pro-life.I think there are only 2 ways I would ever get an abortion:rape,or if there is something seriously wrong with the embryo. Outside of that I think you had sex so you deal with the outcome.But I do not hold it against someone if they get one bc it was their own choice and only they know what is best for them.

well you have your own choices to make for yourself. However, do you think it is right to deny a different woman the choice to decide whether or not to keep a pregnancy when she doesn't want it, for whatever reason she may have?
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I said there were only 2 ways I would ever get one.If someone else has to getr one for their own problems thats up to them,but I also think if you play you pay.I don't think its right to just kill a baby b/c you simply don't want it.If you don't want it,use protection!
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Quote:
if you don't want it,use protection!

what if the contraception fails? If all possible prevention has been made yet you fall within the unlucky 2% and end up pregnant. Can you understand women wanting to abort in that situation?
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Experienced User
moo wrote:
Quote:

what if the contraception fails? If all possible prevention has been made

not all possible ways have been used though, have they?
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
jimmyjackers wrote:
moo wrote:
Quote:

women do get pregnant after being on birth control pills, using condoms, even taking the morning after pill. There are many reasons people don't use condoms while on another form of birth control, that's not being irresponsible.
Regardless, the fact is that contraception is around 98% + reliable (when using one method) and so people clearly don't wish to become pregnant.
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Experienced User
moo wrote:
jimmyjackers wrote:
moo wrote:
Quote:

women do get pregnant after being on birth control pills, using condoms, even taking the morning after pill. There are many reasons people don't use condoms while on another form of birth control, that's not being irresponsible.

Regardless, the fact is that contraception is around 98% + reliable (when using one method) and so people clearly don't wish to become pregnant.

but you know these things fail because you admitted this.

There is only one perfectly safe and natural way not to be pregnant and that it by not having sex.
|