Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Stop Breathing At Night, Help!!

For the past few weeks I have been suffering from a great deal of anxiety. I am now on meds to help with that. This past week though I have started waking up in the night gasping for air. It started after a trip to the er for severe chest pain. They said this was esophageal spasms. I've even fely my air way spasm twice at night when I breath in. After I got home I started having the breathing problem. I'll start to fall asleep & as soon as I do I wake up gasping for air. I've done this 4 nights out of the last 5, tonight being the worst. It's happend about 6 times. The last time I practially woke up flying out of the bed with my heart racing & gasping for air. Now I can't sleep for fear. :(

anyone now what could be going on? Thanks in advance.

Blue
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Help
Sorry not much help but I have read talk to the doctor at the top of the page u really should see psychologist/gp soon worried about u hope it gets sorted out
|

replied February 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Dr told me it's all anxiety related (anxiety attacks). He said no need for a psychologist... It's been a rough year for me & hubby. I had gallbladder surgery last april, which was preceded by years of nausea...No one knew it was all because of my gallbladder, until it started causing pain. Then hubby lost his job a few months back. The anxiety/stress from this past year just built up on me. I'm managing my anxiety with exercise & making sure I get plenty of rest.

The chest pain was caused by a severe case of acid reflux, which i've had a problem with since gallbladder surgery.
|

replied February 27th, 2006
Experienced User
Sorry to hear it cant easily be sorted ask the doctor on the site he might be able to help
|

Experienced User
Anxiety, it's as easily sorted as that.
|

Experienced User
Gd I hope its sorted and it starts to get better for u
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there! If you stop breathing at night while you are sleeping it could be another problem, talk to your dr about getting a sleep study done and ask him about renting to own one of the machines that you use at night where it will kick in and help you(i do not re-call the name of the machine at this time).
Good luck!
Keep us posted on what you find out.
|

Experienced User
Hi,
thanks for your post. It's not sleep apnea. Once I started to get my stress & anxiety under control, the breathing problem stopped.

Take care,
blue
|

replied February 28th, 2006
Wow that can be really scary

try deep breathing before bed, breath in through your nose and hold for a sec then let out slowly though your mouth, you should feel your tummy expand when you take the breath in no chest rising k?

Do that three or four times just don't make yourself dizzy

do it before bed and see if that doesn't clear your airways and calm your stress since it sounds like anxity than that should help.

If not talk to your doc.

Take care
|

Experienced User
Wow! Thats works thx

sweet dreams all
|

Experienced User
Hi stefanie,
thanks for your suggestion. My hubby taught me that breathing technique last year, when he was having anxiety attacks. Er dr taught him how to do it. It really does help. :)

take care,
blue
|

replied April 8th, 2006
Experienced User
Hi blue,

i have the same problem when i'm under alot of stress.. I wake up, because I feel like I can't breath from either my nose or my mouth, gasping for air. I never went to the dr for it though because I thought it was all in my head, until I just read your story.. Now I don't feel like as much of a weirdo knowing someone else gets like that too :-p

christa
|

replied January 18th, 2010
my boyfriend gets the same thing but it is right as he is falling asleep and he can hear me he just cant breathe and can't wake up. is this anxiety or something else??
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
sleep poralisys
I have the same thing..... in the middle of the night i all of a sudden can hear things around me but cannot wake up or breathe. After a few seconds ( which feel like hours) i jerk and jolt up and gasp for air. I had a sleep study but do not have apnea.... possibly sleep poralisys but with out the weird dreams or halucinations, just the feeling that i cant wake up or breathe. Could it be anixiety? Stress? Afraid to go to sleep because im afraid i wont wake up.
|

replied July 15th, 2010
I think that's got to be hard to deal with though I'm glade you seem to have figured it out. I find my problem is not being able to sleep at all and being breath deprived and nauseated constantly for more then just weeks now. Any ideas?
|