Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Definition and Treatment of Tennis Elbow

User Profile
Hello,
I have been diagnosed with Tennis Elbow. I have been dealing with it for over a year. I tried aspirin and rest, which produced no relief. My doctor gave me a cortisone injection last April (2005), it made the pain worse for a few days, then I was pain free for about 5 months. The pain gradually came back and is getting worse. The cortisone injection caused a hollowing out of the skin in the injection area and it seems as though there is little tissue left between my skin and the bone itself. I recently went to an Orthopedist and he gave me a wrist splint and an arm strap and sent me on my way. I have had no relief from this and I am wondering if there is something else that can be done. I have been trying to rest my arm, however, I am right handed and it is my right elbow that is effected. Even the slightest touch is very painful. Getting dressed is getting to be a challenge. The skin is very tender. Any suggestions for a remedy are welcome. Thanks for your help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2006
Orthopedics, Hip, Knee Replacements Answer A511
Tennis elbow is an inflammation of the tendons around or near the elbow. The elbow itself is not affected...the inflammation is outside the joint. Tennis elbow is caused by injury or repetitive twisting of the forearm or wrist. Treatment is focused on pain relief and reducing the inflammation. Treatment includes: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (such as ibuprofen, naproxen or aspirin); Local injection of cortisone and a local anesthetic into the affected area; Immobilization of the forearm and elbow with a splint for 2 to 3 weeks; Heat therapy; Physical therapy. You’ve tried the first three methods and you can try the remaining two.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.