Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Muscle Twitches.. Please Help!!! (Page 1)

Hi... Has anyone with anxiety/stress had persistent and frequent muscle twitches? I am getting very worried. I have been suffering from anxiety for several months now. Up to that point, I have always been a very healthy happy person (i am a 20 year old female, athlete, don't smoke, drink, or do drugs). Now I keep getting these twitches all my body but mostly in the same places over and over again... Almost always in my calf muscle and back of my thighs. Occasionally they will be in my upper abdominal muscles and those are the ones that really feel the worst. Sometimes I get a buzzing feeling in muscles. My husband says they are just a result from stress and anxiety, but I am getting really worried that they are a neurological problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Please... Any info/advice would be so very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

~mk
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mindset
|

replied February 16th, 2006
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
I feel like i'm reading my thoughts when I read your post. I just started getting muscle twitches about 2 weeks ago. I also have twitches mostly in my upper thigh, but sometimes other places. I have tingling sensations as well. I went to the Dr. He said it is anxiety. He prescribed an anti-depressant and xanax. I have not taken the anti-depressant but have taken the xanax at night. He referred me to a therapist as well. All I think about is that I have ms or some other horrible disease. It's taken over my life. I want to feel normal again. I think i've always had anxiety issues, but i've been dealing with some highly stressful situations lately that have made it worse. I would go to your Dr. Just hearing someone tell you it's anxiety does help. I also believe that a therapist will help. I know there is a negative stigma with going to a therapist, but if it makes my life normal again, I don't care.
|

replied February 16th, 2006
Experienced User
That's funny....It's like my exact same thoughts too! Muscle twitches are a side effect of anxiety. I get them almost constantly during the day for no reason, the buzzing feeling too. It sucks and feels wierd, but i'm pretty sure we're okay:)
|

replied February 17th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks for your posts... It makes me feel so much better that other people have these to because they are very distracting and annoying. Because of my recent headaches, I am so worried that is a brain tumor or a serious neurological disorder. From my research, muscle twitches can be a symptom of many many things. I have never experienced headaches before now... Do either of you have the same problem? When do you tend to notice your muscle twitches the most? Thanks again for your replys...
|

replied July 23rd, 2014
iam 28 years old male, I dealt with head pains for years..they were so bad couldn't work for a period of time.

Now I have had muscle twitching in my feet and hands so bad it insane. Its crazy because iam a healthy guy reply back to me if you did anything that helped.
|

replied February 17th, 2006
I don't have headaches that frequently, but I am light-headed sometimes. My twitches are the worst whenever i'm thinking about them, which is mostly at night. I have been trying very hard to not get upset when I notice the twitching, because it's a vicious circle, the more anxious and upset I get, the more my muscles twitch. You should go see your Dr. He/she will make you feel better. I've also read that for generalized anxiety disorder (which is what my Dr. Told me I have), the only way to make the twitching and other physical side effects go away is to deal with the issues that are making you so anxious and stressed. It does make me feel better to read the posts as well. At least we know we're not alone.
|

replied March 28th, 2008
muscle twitches
I feel like you all are talking about me. I started with tingling in my hands and feet back in december. Then about a month ago I noticed a vibrating feeling in my hands and sometimes in my neck. Then came the muscle twitches.....everywhere! It can make you crazy! I had been seeing a chiropractor for the tingling and as time went on and I started feeling the other symptoms. He then referred me to a neurologist. They ordered an MRI of my brain to rule out MS and brain tumors. Then I had an EMG done. Everything came back completely normal. Although my blood work came back with my thyroid level being alittle elevated which can make a person feel some of the symptoms I've been feeling...might be that. I am also a worrier, so I truely believe that I may have brought on the stress myself and caused some of these things to happen. I've decided I'm going to see a Psychiatrist and learn how to not worry so much about things I can't control.
It was alot of testing, but I'm glad to know it isn't anything major. Hopefully in time the symptoms will go away if I learn to calm down. It helps to know other people are going through the same thing....and I hope it helps others to know that it may not be anything other than stress. Our brains are a powerful thing!
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2008
omg meeeee tooooo ,i still have it even though ive been feelin better!!!! and sleepin
i get buzzing it feels like blood rushing.on my feet and legsss,but i twich all the times!if your twiching its a sign you need to relax,even if you are,your thoughts maybe not,or you just need to chill longer days weeks! take it easy excercise eat right!! not candy!!!!!CAFFINE!!!! chocolate!!!!!!!!! raise you feet agiast a wall 90 degree angle and relax there for 5 min do this 4 times a day!! wen you get this pian do it! streching toooo ok let me know.
|

replied January 24th, 2009
from linden;s method
i pretty sure it's anxiety, i have it too, with high stress. the best thing to do with almost All anxiety symptoms is to disempower them, that is while you are experiencing them, instantly concentrate on something else because the more you focus on these sensations the stronger they get. n it's common that the twitches gets worse while u're muscles relax. again DIVERT YOUR THOUGHTS, play loud music or laugh, anything that will grab your mind. it works.
|

replied February 1st, 2009
Muscle Twitches...Please Help!
omg this is the relief I needed. I was about to have a nervous breakdown. I have been having these twiches for about a year now. They started in my eye and now I have them all over my body. I have anxiety and depression so It was really hard not to think it was something awful. I went to the doctor and they did a complete blood panel and said nothing was wrong which didn;t help anything because it didn't fix the problem or tell me what caused it. If ne one finds out anymore info please post it.
|

replied October 8th, 2011
Gah! This was exactly what happened to me! I started getting twitches in my eyes and it spread to the rest of my body! It's been about three weeks now. My eyes hardly twitch anymore, but my legs do constantly. It's like little electrical surges are running through them with little random twitches all over them. It's much worse when I'm super anxious or resting. I'm going to a neurologist in a couple of weeks, but I'm definitely prone to anxiety. I'm so glad I found this forum.
|

replied February 4th, 2009
Hi all!
I have been undergoing some serious anxiety lately and have experienced tingling/twitching/weakness feelings in my legs, arms, feet, I am sure it's related to anxiety/stress. God Bless
|

replied July 26th, 2011
Tingling and muscle twitching
I am experiencing the tingling and muscle twitching. I have an Anxiety diorder and battle depression. I have gotten myself so worked up that I have MS. I have had 3 Docs tell me that I am healthy. I worry all the time!!! It takes over your life. I am trying to work through this through prayers, therapy, and meds.
|

replied March 31st, 2009
tingling, twitching, joint pain - anxiety!
Hi there, I just went to the doctor with my comment to the doctor "every part of my body is experiencing some sort of pain or sensation -- how can this be? My feet and hands were tingly and arms and legs feeling electrified (if this makes sense, I couldn't rest), I kept getting muscle twitches here and there and different joints would ache on and off -- I will admit I have been very depressed lately and havn't had good sleep in about two months -- and throw in two panic attacks recently. I went to a new doctor who said based on my gene pool, that being my father, sister, brother, and myself have all had panic attacks, anxiety and phantom illness like symptoms through our whole lives. Finally I found a doctor who is taking it one step at a time -- first get me to have some quality sleep (I have insomnia big time). She gave me a 30-day only prescription for a sleep aid. Also, starting at the same time, a low dose prescription of Paxil CR, which will probably be upped eventually. After about a month we will access my progress. She did reassure me that anxiety and depression can in fact cause so many different physical symptoms and they aren't dangerous, just troublesome. I know for a fact this is true -- I was facing some major surgery back in September, 2008 and was petrifed to have the surgery which I defintely needed to have. I worked myself up into a tizzy, I wasn't sleeping at all and worrying constantly about the surgery. One day I started having weird heart palpatations very regularly -- they wouldn't stop. I got very scared. I went and had an EKG and wore a halter monitor, went for a stress test -- nothing dangerous. Then one morning I woke up around 4am and my heart was palpatating so bad I thought I was dieing. I had my husband take me to the ER and was there all day. They took pictures of my heart, did all kinds of tests only to say "you are experiencing anxiety which is causing the palpitations". They gave me a week prescription of valium and sent me on my way. The very first pill I took the palpitations went away. I got through the surgery and that was that. The mind can certainly wreak havoc on us if we let it.
|

replied May 20th, 2009
Twitching too.....
I recently developed anxiety and panic attacks after the death of 2 close friends (our best friend's fiance, then 5 weeks later, our best friend died too). She died in a wreck, and he died of a blood clot (probably from the wreck too)...anyway, because he had leg pain and cramps before he died.....I drove myself into panic attacks after my legs started hurting and twitching...went to the ER twice and they did VQ scans and ultrasounds and assured me I had no clots in my legs....I was finally trying to convince my brain it was just stress...when I developed an upper respiratory infection (with a tickle cough and chest pains). But I am slowly convincing my brain that it is not a blood clot, just stress and illness...getting physical therapy on my legs and feet is helping (less twitching)- they are doing Graston Massage on them. Now just have to get over the chest pain stuff....It may be twitches in my chest muscles, GERD or from my "tickle" in the upper resp tract.....But I keep reading symptoms of pulmonay embolism just to show myself that it is NOT that....(no hemoptysis, don't get short of breath, doesn't hurt worse when I take a deep breath and the pain is very intermittent). All I can say is MOND OVER MATTER (and some Celexa). Occasionally I take Ativan and as I relax, I twitch more.....
|

replied June 17th, 2009
Let me tell you my experience: I was suffering from muscle twitching all around my body. And some of the twitches will stay longer time(like couple of days). I was so frightened, espeically if you put "intermittent twitching" on google and kind of things would show up. Looking and searching on internet was making my twitching worse. My doctors diagnosed my condition as panic/fear/anxiety attacks with severe social anxiety. I didn't want to take any of the medicines (especially those xanax and plavix, which have unknow side-effects). So I decided to follow healthy schedule:
eat lots of fruits, green vegetables
take fish oil supplements
20 mins of daily exercise
yoga/meditation (espeically the buddhist meditation techniuques of mindfulness and concentration)

It wasn't easy and my twitching didn't go away immeditaly. But after two years of adhering to schedule, I can now say that muscle twitching is behind me. My doctors consider it as growth of mind (nuero-genesis). So, Make sure you talk to the doctor and get yourself checked-up. But once tests are normal, know that you can beat it. Hope this helps!
|
Users who thank john_77801 for this post: Jaycey  syzetetes 

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2009
HELP!first heart hurting then twitching what more!?!?
I just woke up at 8:00 in the morning and breathe in sorta deeply and my heart is hurting badly abd then I comeonto this and I start twitching I dont know why and im really scared so somone please tell me whats wrong with myself!
|

replied October 11th, 2011
I had the same symptoms as everyone here. I didn't know what was happening because I felt like I couldn't breathe; almost like I had Asama. Then after 3-weeks of this, I had a severe panic attack which felt like a seizure. I spent 2 days in the hospital and had pulmonary tests, EEG's etc. I didn't feel depressed, so that was ruled out. The doctors had no idea what was going on, but gave me xanex for anxiety which is very addictive. I later changed to Ativan. Both of these stopped the symptoms short term and my doctor told me they were only a band-aide. I finally went on Paxil which makes the symptoms worse for about a month. I was on Paxil for 4 years and gained about 15 pounds, but I felt much better. You can't go off of this drug cold turkey. I decided to try and slowly cut my dosage over a span of 4 months. I got dizzy and wasn't myself, but I have been free of panic attacks for 5 years.

I am reading this site now because the vibrating in my legs have returned and I was worried it was something worse than anxiety.

Hope this helps.
|

replied July 24th, 2009
Me too
I've been having this problem for almost two months now too. I've suffered from panic attacks and anxiety for 15 years. I recently was doing well enough to get off my Xanax, and about a week off the Xanax, I started getting a buzzing/vibrating feeling in my feet. This started the old anxiety wheel rolling again. I went to the doctor and she said it could be a vitamin def. or thyroid. I'm so afraid to have bloodwork done though. I think it's just anxiety. It's good to know others have this problem too. I've been afraid I have a neurological problem too and it's taking over my life again with all the overthinking. Hope you all find relief.
|

replied July 24th, 2009
I have constant twitching in my calves, legs, glutes, arms, back 24 hours per day. Been going on now for the last two months. I am currently seeing a chiro and have an MRI scheduled, along with an EMG test from a neuro next month. I have always been in good shape physically, yet these last three months my stress and anxiety levels have been off the page. I am now thinking that these twitches are a symptom of my anxiety. My blood test came out normal, and I have also taken quality calcium/magnesium supplements, but no help has ensued with the twitching. Now I am wondering if anxiety can actually cause these very scary involuntary muscle twitches.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
Muscle Twitches and Anxiety
Reading everyones post has made me feel a little better. About a year ago after my second child was born I started having tingling in the tops of my legs and muscle twitches in my legs. I had blood work done and the tests came back normal, the doctor said that I had high anxiety do to sleep deprivation and stress. Sadly, stress and anxiety from your kids does not go away, on top of the fact that I have become a chronic worrier. So my anxiety has gotten worse I now have twitches all over my body, not just my legs. I have panic attacks fairly often. I do not want to take medication. I take vit. supplements to help a little. I plan on getting my thyroid tested soon, to see if that helps. I hope that a lot of it is the fact that I am a stay at home mom with a 1 and 4 yr.old. Being a stay at home mom is a lot more stressful than I had thought it would be.
|

replied July 31st, 2009
Twitching/Tremor
I was so pleased to find this site. I hope my experience can help somebody. For six months now I have had nerve/muscle twitches. It began on a three week touring holiday to Namibia when I took an over the counter anti-malarial drug. To be fair, I was advised these pills were not to be taken by those with a history of anxiety but then I had no such history. There is a first time for everything! My muscles would `crawl` when I got to bed at night and then a constant twitching developed in my left foot. It was very scary and I managed to talk myself into a state of mind where I was convinced I was developing Parkinson`s/MS or some such. Sounds dramatic now but seemed very real to me at the time. On my return I visited my GP and poured out my fears. He was very supportive, assured me I had no tangible symptoms of Parkinson`s or any other neurological disease and diagnosed Anxiety. Several more trips to the surgery with renewed fears ensued and the constant twitching/vibrating spread to my other foot and both hands as well as geheralised body twitching. I suffered dizziness, nausea and headaches and I honestly felt I could `twang` my thigh muscles, they were so tense and hard. I didn`t want to take drugs (just my personal preference)so I persevered with positive thoughts and belief in my doctor`s diagnosis. It was SO DIFFICULT to convince myself 24/7, I can`t begin to tell you. I started to obsess about my rapid weight loss and although my doctor confirmed this was a further symptom of anxiety, he took blood samples as a precaution and the list of tests he asked the hospital to perform was endless - anaemia, diabetes, thyroid, liver and kidney function,inflammation, arthritis - all came back,`Normal. No action required.` At this point I decided I just HAD to take myself in hand and practise the ultimate in mind-over-matter, after all, I had managed to convince myself I did have neurological disease and now I had to work equally hard to convince my mind I didn`t! Slowly, I feel it is working. Not all the time do I feel better but the periods of twitching/dizziness/fatigue are becomming less and dark thoughts no longer dictate my entire life. This kind of illness CAN be overcome, but not in a few days with a bottle of jollop. I can`t believe my mind produced so many real physical symptoms in my healthy body. Even now I can experiment by looking at my still toes and within a few seconds they will tremor. Such is the power of the mind. Take heart.
|
Users who thank mindset for this post: syzetetes 

replied August 11th, 2009
hi mindset!i kinda have the same symptoms as you. started off with the feeling that something was crawling on my legs, then burning feeling on my toes. then lotsa prickling and tingling then electricity sensation.Recently twitching n legs r heavy and thigh muscles tense.Restless leg syndrome was suspected but i dont have the urge to move atall n it doesnt disrupt my sleep so neuro thinks i should see a shrink.Am at a loss. I cant believe that all that is produced by my mind!
|

replied August 19th, 2009
Buzzing in my foot.... anxiety? MS? Scared.
I'm so glad to find others talking about the same issues that I've been freaking out about lately. Up until 5 months ago, I had been on 37.5mg of effexor xr for anxiety for 5 years. During that time, I had no anxiety. About 5 months ago, I figured I'd try coming off of it (under doctor's good supervision). I was fine for about 4 months, no serious anxiety. Then, about a month ago, I started developing all sorts of physicial symptoms.... GERD for one and then some strange tingling/vibration in my right foot. This sparked my anxiety back up again. After trying to deal with it for a few weeks, I decided it was time to go back on effexor. Since then, no more GERD... however, the vibration in my foot is still there. I also had two episodes of strange zaps down my spine. I'm convinced that I have MS and I'm scared out of my mind. Is it really possible that I don't have MS and that it's due to anxiety? If so, why is it not going away since I've been back on effexor for 2 weeks? I'm really so scared.... any words of wisdom are so appreciated.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...