Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

If Taking Prednisone, Plaquenil, Cellcept - Alcohol!!!! (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
Hey everyone, I am new to the boards. I'm 17 and was diagnosed in summer of '03. I had chemo for about 6 months before I was switched over to cellcept. It was a very extreme case, but it is a lot better now, with hardly any side effects (*knock on wood*). I take a low dosage of prednisone, and may be getting off it soon, but i've been told I will be staying on cellcept and plaquenil for a while.

I have a question, and I have to ask everyone to please don't judge me because of it. I really want to know and I can't think of who else to ask. My prom will be here in june, and I will be moving out to live in a dorm in september. My question is, can I really not drink any alcohol at all? I'm not saying I want to get trashed and wasted every weekend, because i'm not like that. In fact, i've never had a sip of alcohol my whole life. But, well, it's prom. And it's not peer pressure. I just want to try new things and have a little bit of fun. I'm not going to become an alcoholic, i've been brought up better than that...But it just doesn't seem fair that I don't get to be carefree and wild for once in my life because of this disease. Can't I just have a little once in a while at a party? If so, is there a recommended time frame between taking my medication and drinking alcohol?

I don't really want to ask my doc, because my mother comes with me to every appointment and is very, very overprotective.

Thank you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lilmiss317
|

replied February 28th, 2006
If I were you I would not mix alcohol and the drugs, that could cause terrible side effects like

-vomitting
-lose of consiousness
-heart attack
-stumach pain

and many other problems, if I were you I would have virgin drinks(drinks without alcohol) it's great tasting and no bad side effects to worry about.

This is a serious disease that you have and just for one nights pleasure or to have fun or fit in is not worth your health love, dance, eat be merry but please don't drink

believe me the next day you will regret it even jsut one drink could be life or death

i went to my prom (while having lupus) and did not drink and I find it even more memorable since I can remember everything lol

anyway take it from me don't do it it's not worth it.

But let us know how it goes and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied April 17th, 2006
Hi!
I've had this quesiton too and have found no reliable resources on the subject. But I can tell you of my personal experiences and that may give you an idea of the side effects alcohol can have when mixed with plaquenil alone.
I've been on plaquenil for a little over a year, and at first the effects of alcohol were unchanged. However, recently I have noticed that when I go out I have to be very careful how much I drink. Even if I feel fine (not sick or even drunk) in a few hours it hits me and I have been getting sick more frequently and having really bad hangovers. Because of this I have decided to be much more aware of how much alcohol I take in and set limitations on how much/often I drink.
I understand your concern and praise you for asking the question before just jumping in! My advice (since you are a novice at drinking and because of your medications) is to be very very careful!! Have one light drink if you want and wait a while, see how it sits...Do not push it! The last thing you want is to be sick at your prom!!! :)

good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Frankie
|

replied June 1st, 2006
Sorry to Say..
Its best not even to have one drink, not only because it will react with ur medications and cause more problems for u in the near or far future, for most people I know me anyways, if I have just one drink it will make me sick, not really hangover sick, but for weeks after I will be in more pain my heart, lungs joints will be more inflamed... Anyways it took me a long time to realize its sooooo not worth it :?
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Mixing Alcohol!?
well, i dont know about the other girls here but i drink and smoke while being on cellcept, prednisone, inflamatories and pain meds.

i know im being irresponsible but im not about to quit living life, im just 25, studying, working and having a social life.

now, my advice is: drink if you want stop when you want and have fun!!! BUT BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

XOXO
|
Users who thank chocolate candy for this post: DeniseDealing 

replied August 23rd, 2008
I might have a drink now and then. It doesn't do anything to me, and my doc said it's ok occasionally. The most I drink is probably one or two a month.
|

replied September 20th, 2008
alcohol with plaquenil
I have just been diagnosed with 'connective tissue disease, probably Lupus'. I have the official leaflet for Plaquenil, from the National Health Service (UK), and it states that you may drink alcohol when on antimalarials.
I only occasionally have a drink, I have to be careful because I take strong opiates for pain, I also have fibromyalgia.
But it's nice to know that the plaquenil would not interfere with my occasional drink. I think anyone who has these types of illness suffers much more with side effects i.e. hangovers anyway, so we soon learn that drinking the same amount as our friends/family maybe, is a really bad idea.

So I would say if you are just taking an anti-malarial then you may drink alcohol, but usually there are other meds or our illnesses that give us reasons to be very careful or abstain completely.

By the way many holidaymakers have to take drugs like plaquenil as an anti malarial, and many holidaymakers will be drinking... Just a thought...
|

replied September 20th, 2008
Wat up? I take the same meds you do, and occasionally I have a drink now and then, but not often. And with you being young, "and" going to the prom, your'e gonna wanna get your drink on, and i'm sure that means more then one drink. I wouldn't advise it kid, you can enjoy yourself without drinking, it won't kill you, and it wont make u have less fun! tiphat
|

replied February 4th, 2009
Hangovers and lupus
I stiill want to drink but the after effects/ hangover seem to last days. I become so fatigued and achy. Is anyone else like this?
|

replied February 13th, 2009
hell ya
I've been on all that crap! I drink at least two beers a night. I don't know if I'm getting better or worse. Hangovers hurt a lot more, but that could be my age also. My Dr. told me not to have more than two drinks a night. Some nights I drink a lot more than two. Lupus living with me not living with Lupus!
|

replied February 19th, 2009
one of the first things my doctor told me when i was first diagnosed with lupus when i was 12 was that "every lupus patient is different, no two ppl have the same exact problems" which i also think applies for reaction with medications and mixing it with alcohol and smoking.

personally, id say go for it girl! im 19 years old and i spent most of my junior and senior year drinking and smoking, ive been takin prednisone, plaquinel, amitriptyline [i was also on cellcept for a few months but they discontinued it because i couldnt stop throwing it up] and some opiates like promethazine and valium since i was 12 years old every single day of my life and to be honest, i think all u really have to worry about when it comes to mixing alcohol with yer meds is the opiates.

i was just like you when i was your age maybe a few years younger because i was scared to drink on prednisone thinking it would end me up in the hospital that night but i tried it anyway and smoking i mostly do for the joint pain or if im just havin a shitty day.

the way i see it is enjoy life, have fun, do wut u want (especially because your going into college)and explore your limits but make sure you know them before u try gettin faded to the extreme and you should be fine. As well as when you get older and more sick to the point where you know yer gunna die atleast u knew that u did everything that you could to enjoy your life the way u wanted without letting your disease stop you.
|

replied March 4th, 2009
It depends on the patient
I really think it depends on the patient, but for the love of god be CAREFUL. Test your limits means take it in SMALL DOSES!!! I am your age, and I had barely had a half a beer while on 25mg prednisone and plaquenil, and I could feel my stomach hurting, the same way it does when I drink a lot without eating any food. I'm not going beyond that until I'm off the prednisone.
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2009
Just be careful
The first few times that I drank on my meds was horrible!! It took my body a bit to adjust. Everyone is different. The one rule to remember, replenish your body...if you have a few drinks, drink a bottle of water or gatorade before bed...it helps with the fatigue the next day. Best of luck but don't stop living your life!
|

replied May 30th, 2009
Hi

I have just been prescribed Plaquenil and it states in the information to "avoid alcohol". I know certain anti-malarial drugs do affect the liver so I am now really confused about whether it is OK or not. Has anyone asked a physician or a pharmacist? I will be doing so soon.
|

replied September 12th, 2009
Drinking on Cellcept
Look you're a teenager live and have fun now I did'nt drink at my prom but I also wasn't diagnosed with SLE then either. But, I am on cellcept, plaquenil, opiates, ibuprofen, iron, prednisone, norvasc and toprol xl and I have drank alcohol before the cellcept was added. There's something just not kosher with the cellcept and mixing of opiates I know it is a pretty traumatic effect alone. So to add alcohol I think you would ruin your prom night. If you want try having one drink beore prom night so that you will know how it is going to affect you. But I also hate having a upset stomach and vomiting, I've never been one for drinking and now I don't drink at all not even wine while I'm on cellcept. HELL, I CAN'T EVEN EAT PICKLES WHILE ON CELLCEPT WITHOUT PROJECTILE VOMITING. LOL
|

replied November 29th, 2009
hey! i'm in the same situation as you gurl! im a second year in college and i would advice one drink is fine for the night... BUT in my first year in college I drank every other weekend and BOY was that a mistake.... over the summer 2009 i had to go through chemo too... Decemeber will be my last dose of chemo. Now i dont want to stop drinking either... but i've learned to ONLY drink in a social setting or even not at all. I know it sucks and believe me i'm mad too for not being able to be wild and crazy like other kids but u can still hang with them... i always bring a bottle of sparking apple cider! lol
|

replied February 1st, 2010
drinking with lupus OK for me...but not for everyone!
I'm 20 years old and have been drinking (moderately and sometimes in excess) since I was a Junior in high school. All the while, I have been living with a light to moderate case of Lupus (since 6th grade). I agree with the many people of above in that it is TOTALLY a case by case kind of thing. What works for me probably won't work the same way for you. I am currently on Cellcept (1000-2000MG at most), which I hear is a relatively small dose as well as 300MG of Plaquenil. I am in college and typically drink once on the weekends -- and usually quite a bit in one night (at least 3-4 shots of hard liquor). Overall, my health is still relatively good and I don't notice any major differences when I drink. Although, if anything...my joint problems in my hands get worse the next morning. I wouldn't advise drinking on prednisone. Prednisone is a scary drug and can do scary things to people. Don't risk that, and most importantly....

Just because my lupus can handle some heavy drinking doesn't mean that yours can. It sucks, but it's the truth.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
I am 18 and i am in about the same situation as you medicaation wise. and well i do drink and while i have to watch how much i have i do fine. i have talked with my doctor about it and she has no serious objections and she can be kind of uptight when it comes to interfereing with meds. so, in my opinion, occassional drinking while knowing your limit is perfectly fine
|

replied March 4th, 2010
lupus
does anyone know any males w/lupus i am male 24 in new york diagnosed at 17 and im prettyangry still would like to hear more about how you were able to move on since being diagnosed since i still cant
mike
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Male with Lupus
@mikebonez

Yeah Bro I am a 27 year old male from New York Diagnosed with Lupus i was diagnosed at 12. the best thing I can say to you is dont let it take over your life. with your meds you can pretty much live a normal life. its all about being positive, I have some good and bad days but overall i can complain too much. I just try not to let it take over my life but still take it in consideration I need extra care...try not to be angry about it though
|