Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Chest, Sholder, Back Ache (Page 1)

Hi I have recently been getting really sharp pains going up to my chest ( from under left rib) and down my arm sometimes, it is also in my shoulder back and front. But thats more of an ache type of pain

im really scared but my doc says its anxiety does this sound right?

Very painful when it happend. Also tender to touch.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pinkpenny1uk
|

replied February 15th, 2006
Hi,
i started having panic attacks just before christmas. It was scarey at first cos I wasn't sure what was happening,
my doc put it down to anxiety.
One of my main symptoms was shoulder and chest pain. In fact in one instance I was convinced I was having a heart attack ( been monitored and my heart is fine).

Your symptom does sound similar to what I experienced. I also get alot of pain round my rib cage area.
I hope this helps but if at any time u are unsure about any of your symptoms I would go back and see your g.P. Thats what they r there for.

All the best
pp1
|

replied February 17th, 2006
Hello pinkpenny1uk, and harky_p,

i have had anxiety and panic for 4+ years now. The chest pains arm pains and every other pain is anxiety related. The tenderness around your ribs is from your anxiety. When you get panic attacks or you are tense from anxiety, your muscles get tight around your ribs causing the tenderness. I go to a chiropractor and a massage therapist to release all that tension around my rib cage and it really helps. Believe me I know that feeling of not being able to touch my ribs because they are so sore or even up on my chest. The best way to relieve the tension yourself is with stretches and deep breathing.
|

replied February 19th, 2006
Hi jenna2
thanks for letting me know u have similar symptoms. It gets me down a little when the pain starts but not as much now. My pain in my ribs sometimes feels as tho something is crushing them together. It usually spreads from my ribs into my breast bone and then rouns the back and up to my shoulders. I didn't associate it with anxiety at first cos I didn't think I was perticulay stressed or tense.

It helps knowing that their are others out there going through the same thing and that there are things we can do to ease the tension.

Many thanks
all the best
pp1
|

replied December 13th, 2012
Hi I'm 18 and I get the exact same feeling, It starts in my chest, then moves to my ribs- to my breast bone, to my back then to my shoulder. It hurts so bad. I hate anxiety. It's not fun at all!!
|

replied February 22nd, 2006
Hi thanks for your replys,

all them symptoms sound so simular to mine! But how do you know it is just anxiety, ive had no tests my doc doesnt think I need them.

Im not anxiuos or panicking yes im stressed and depressed but thats because these pains are agony and ruining my life and scareing me!

I want to get so angry at my doctor and sit there untill they know 100% proven that I am ok!

I dont even know what tests can be done becuse there are so many different things it could be!

Harky xx
|

replied August 24th, 2007
Experienced User
Anxiety - Chest Pains
Hia im jodie

im sixteen years old i have had anxiety for two years and for the past year have experciened chest pains shoulder pains back pains arm pains my jaw feels funny my legs have pains in them all the timemy chest pain is constant sometimes it gets worse my ribs always have pains under them !!!! for a whole year i have had the pain been to hospital one and my gp 4 times !!!! they sy everything is normal that i have anxiety

But i can tell you your panicing your doctor hasnt send you for tests because he cant find anything wrong with you!!

my doctor never sent me for tests i just went to hospital myself cause i never believed anything they told me AND GUESS WHAT!!! THEY FOUND NOTHING EXCEPT ANXIETY PAINS !! im still in doubt now about my pains i think im going to die all the time if your doctor thought there was anything wrong with you he wouldnt mess around hes send you straight in to hospital !!! I had an ECG test in hospital which they checked me for lung clots but i didnt have one then i came out of hospital feeling better for a few then the pain came back again still there for a whole year ........I now try and understand i have anxiety

I hope my story helps you x x x x x
|

replied August 24th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Chest, Sholder, Back Ache
Hia yess it sounds right i have had these pains for a year with my anxiety symptons

Im in pain all day my shoulders my jaw, neck , back andn chest my rib cage i hae pains shooting under them I have seen my gp four times and been to hospital once ....They found nothing ..

If you had a seriouse illness you would be in hospital buy now i always tell my self that i knw its hard !!! cause the pains are bad you will get through it Very Happy
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
i can relate
I have been having similar rib pains that go from left to right, back and forth for almost two months. I do have anxiety and after reading these posts, i think that i will chalk it up to that and nothing more serious physically. Will see my doctor though in new year just to check it out

thanks!
|

replied July 5th, 2009
Panic attacks
Hi Guys,

Have suffered from anxiety / panic attacks for about 20 yrs on and off. Had some periods of respite, years in fact, but then came back. Currently back with avengance.

The sypmtoms as described are all exactly as i suffer, and for 14 months, had dysphagia,fear of swallowing/choking. Very real and very scary when its happening to you.

When an attack happens, i just work through it, thinking '' ok, been here before, not dead then and not going to be today''. It helps, still scary but still come through. A sweet drink sometimes helps as I find having a panic attack takes it out of me.

Currently i have a major fear of flying and tubes and also the dentist. Something i have handled in the past but at the moment are major barriers.

I will work through it.

I work in a very stressful environment too. I know my job and do it well, but these attacks come out of nowhere. Oh to have a 'normal' life. Still, will continue to handle each one as it comes.
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2009
Supporter
Hi Drew,

It's really great that you are able to talk yourself through your attacks. I have been able to do the same most of the time and it's been so many years that I now know that I'm not going to die, just having anxiety. I do have to take meds though or the panic attacks are unbearable. Do you take meds or are you able to do without??
|

replied July 7th, 2009
Hi wendy,

I am not good with drugs at best, so no, not on any medication. Has been offered, tamasapan for one, but have not used it. I hate the feeling of not being in control, so drugs not answer for me. I realy do beleive in mind over matter. Drugs have there place of course, even to have them to hand but not take them might be worth trying. A kind of emotional crutch. You may surprise yourself.

I stopped smoking too jan 2006 , at a very stressful period of my life. From 30+ !**@! a day to zero. Best thing i did.
Drew
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Panic
Ive been having panic attacks for the last month or so, ive always been an anxious person and have suffered from depression before. When i have a panic attack my shoulders go up and i clench my fists and jus feel like screaming i hyperventalate v much and my fingers go tingly and my lips too. Im very proud of myself because the last 2 days ive mananged to stop 2 in their tracks! The only problem is where my chests been tight thru all the work ive put it tho its very sore, around my chest wall and the middle of my back and shoulders. This is normal right? x
|

replied February 19th, 2010
I have the same symptoms but dont really feel like it's anxiety but it does go away when i breath, walk, treadmill, think about other things. Then is comes back when i start to think about it. Its so weird. Still taking tests, so far ekg, egd, stress and gallbladder test all good. i have some gerd and gastritis but i get these pains with or without food, so i just dont get it. Anyone else?
|

replied February 24th, 2010
Panic and anxiety...
Hey glad I found this, yes i have all the pains as well, chest wall, neck shoulders and suffer from panic/anxiety. off work now due to this and changing my career to something less stressful then what i was doing, fingers crossed!

I am taking kalms as i dont want to do the anti-depressants/beta blockers etc... route.... they are helping i must say, anyone else here tried them?

im taking it noe day at a time, however ifind when ive had an attack it takes me a few days to go back outside as i get nervous being out of my home for a while, does that happen to anyone else?
|

replied November 9th, 2011
Help
Hi, I was Diagnosed 1 Month ago with Panic Attacks/ Anxiety, i have made a numerous of trips back and forth the Hospital,doctors, but have not been able to find anything, currently i am taking anti depress tablets but it seem to of helped the attacks but not the anxiety,i have pains in my arm, chest, shoulder blades, Back, mostly middle of my back , like stabbing pains, the doctors have stated that this is all caused from anxiety, but me being me i still wont accept this, i keep thinking that im going to die, and also what you have stated about not going out after the attacks, im exactly the same, i never like to be alone, which is a horrible feeling, could someone please give some advise to me Pleaseeeeeeeee, Thank youx
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
I'm a 20 yr old male and I have the same exact symptoms. I can't find any answers and looking things up on the internet is not healthy for anxiety. I have been mostly suffering from chest pain. I had an Ekg done and blood tests and everything came back normal. I took mild anxiety medicine and the pain was still there. Let me know if you have found an answer plz
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Hello Everyone above,

I am 64 and have had all the pains described above and the swallowing problems.

I was looking here today because of my many pains all over back and shoulders and ribcage pain so you see I am still looking.

Here are a few things that I have done and they help alot.

Cheap RX prescription med called Tramadol 50 MG really take the pain away and makes me feel happy. one a day non addictive except that mentally I know it works for me so i take it everyday and have for over 2 years.

Swallowing problem, I have had an endoscopy procedure ( down the throat) to stretch or break a narrowed ring
that was originally caused by GERD ( refux) and I take prolesec or omerazole everyday for that and have not had swallowing problem but once or twice over the last 3 years. GREAT!
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Yes, these panic attack is terrible.

Base on my experiences (in traditional Chinese Medicine), normally this anxiety will manifest into a special kind of imbalance in the body. And this imbalance sometimes are invisible when the attack isn''t there. Thus make this condition very hard to treat.

If you would like to know more about your condition base on TCM perspective, feel free to message me.
|

replied November 4th, 2011
How can acupuncture help with my anxiety? I am seeing a psychologist to help my underlying issue but I'm afraid to go to a gp for fear he will tell me something is wrong, causing more anxiety. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied November 4th, 2011
How can acupuncture help with my anxiety? I am seeing a psychologist to help my underlying issue but I'm afraid to go to a gp for fear he will tell me something is wrong, causing more anxiety. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied May 20th, 2010
I know what you mean
I've just recently started to get panic attacks again at age 37; I haven't had any since I was a teenager.
Like you, I have achy pain in the left chest/shoulder/arm/neck area when they happen, along with a racing heart, high blood pressure but low pulse, and feel shaky, weak and nauseated.
I went to the doctor and they ran a EKG etc on me, with results coming out normal...
The doctor said it was indeed tension, and told me to use a heat pack on my shoulder and chest. I did so, and had half a glass of red wine, and now feel pretty good, but still not totally back to normal.
I am frustrated that these attacks are occuring again, as I don't feel stressed on the surface; however I have been taking too much on every day and not making any time for myself to just relax...
I think I might start up with yoga again, as I think it's great for high-strung people like us.
|

replied August 23rd, 2010
Hello. I have been experiencing the same pains for about 6 months now. Never had this issue before. Shoulder and arm pain, chest aches, aches in my ribs and even some aches in my legs. It scared me so bad back in April that I went to the emergency room and they did an EKG, an xray of my heart, and complete bloodwork on me and everything came back normal. I left with a diagnosis of anxiety and acid reflux. The meds they gave me helped me feel better (acid reflux meds) but I started feeling this way again 3 months later. Now, I don't think it has anything to do with acid reflux because I have really worked hard to change my diet. Now, I think it's just stress and anxiety. It still scares me when I feel this way and being scared causes more anxiety. I guess I just need to learn how to relax more and not worry so much. Does anyone know of any natural remedies that help with anxiety?
|

replied January 22nd, 2011
It just the chest aches what scare me I always think I'm having heart attack 24/7
I never thought u could get chest aches from anxiety I always think that the doctor has missed something but wen I go back they just say everythink is fine
My blood pressure is fine my pulse is fine,even my blood is fine but why do I get the chest aches Sad
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2011
anxiety
hi im kelly Smile , im 16 and i was dignosed with anxiety and dipression about 3 munth after havin my son , i really bad chest pain and my heart races , also sometimes struggle for breath , and get the pain under ribs too it gets so sore sometimes im bent over with the pain . but doctor says its nothin more than anxiety and gave me a relaxation cd it helps sometimes but you cant listen to it all the time , so i just icnore the pain and it goes away its self , i dont do tablets for it cause im underweight for my age . but dont worry its only anxiety nothing more Smile! x
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...