Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Serious Risk of Cancer and Treating Cervical Displasions

User Profile
I was diagnosed with hpv when I was 17 and too fresh to listen to anyone..

Well now I have cin 1 and 2 present on my cervix. This was a recent development and the doctors told me I need a cone biopsy to diagnose whats going on in my ecc ( the cervical canal)

the side effects oif the biposy is that there is a chance that I may not get pregnant, though its a low chance thats one im not willing to take.

I have also done research which says that these things can be resolved by the immune system, but what are the chances? Is it a sure fact?

my problem is sis that I am scared out of my wits that this can progress to cancer, however I refuse to get the cone biopsy done, its just not an option does anyone have any advice for a 22 year old with no children??

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2006
Infectious Diseases Answer A450
Don’t wait for your immune system to solve the problem! The immune system may succeed in defeating HPV-infection but it can’t repair the damage caused by infection-displasia(CIN). HPV types 16 and 18 are considered very dangerous for cancer development. Displasions(CIN 1,2 and 3) are considered precancerous and must be treated. CIN 3 is treated by a cone-like amputation (cone-biopsy) of the cervix. CIN 1 and 2 may be treated with local destruction of the displastic lesions (diatermocoagulation, crio-therapy, CO2-laser coagulation), but only if a lesion is located on the outer-cervix. Further, cervical curettage is required to exclude CIN-presence in the cervical canal. If CIN lesions are present in the cervical canal, the curettage itself is a therapeutic procedure. After treatment, you will have to monitor your gynecological health every 6 months with Pap-smear. You will then be asked to undergo a colposcopia for the next 2 years. If CIN-1 or 2 report is repeated, you will have to be treated with a cone biopsy.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infectious Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.