Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum


Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I recently was constipated and I strained on the toilet and felt a sudden pain in my lower abdomen near my hip. I wondered if I gave myself a hernia. I felt the area to see if I could feel any protrusion down there and I couldn't feel any. I also tried to hold my testicles and lightly cough, because I have seen doctors dooing this to check for hernia. I couldn't tell if what I was feeling was normal or what because I am not trained to know. The spot where I felt the pain was very lightly sore for the rest of the evening. I am planning to get a phyisical in about 3 or 4 months, but I am wondering if I should go to the doctor sooner because of this.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. It is not hernia but you sure suffer from constipation which is making you strain and put pressure while defecating which can lead to hernia eventually and many other complaints like hemorrhoids, anal fissures, obstructions and generalized body pains. Modify diet and lifestyle , eat balanced diet, exercise regularly and to relieve your concerns for regarding hernia , you may consult a local General Surgeon and let them have a look. From your history I don't think it is a hernia.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.