User Profile
September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I have not watched this video. But I have seen a circumcision performed in person a few years back when I was doing a rotation in the nursery. The doctor restrained the baby, used a topical numbing agent on the skin, then used a metal ring-looking device to help numb the nerves at the incision site. The baby did cry as it was being done, but it took less than 10 minutes if memory serves me correctly, and the baby stopped crying by the time they put the gauze on.

My husband was circumcised at birth, but they didn't take enough of the skin off. He had to have a second procedure done when he was a teenager (his choice), and he said it was horrible to recover from. Newborns, however, heal very fast and circumcision does not seem to bother them after the initial surgery. Diaper changes are perfectly fine, as are dressing changes. If we ever have a son, we are absolutely having him circumcised.

No one wants to watch a baby go through pain and cry like that. But I promise, it's over quickly and they're fine afterwards.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Supporter
I watched it and posted before I saw your reply, purest.. I probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise.. It really was horrible Sad

i have a nasty feeling the poor baby was in pain, because the cries seemed to get louder when they actually did the clamping and cutting etc..

*shudders* I feel the pain.. And I don't even have a penis.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Yes you dooo :p
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Supporter
Damnit.. Now you all know the truth.

Laughing
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Lol!!!

Do the smilies work on my posts? Because I hit the tongue face over there on the emoticons and when I looked all I saw was ":p" Sad what!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
ayamiyaki wrote:
if we ever have a son, we are absolutely having him circumcised



why? Why do you feel the need to get your son circumsised? To me its barbaric. I would never want to put my son through that. It is not up to me to decide to cut off his foreskin.

My hubby has no problem having a foreskin and it provides more sensation to a women during sex. That is its function.

If god didn't want it there he wouldn't of invented it.

P.S- it will be distressing to a baby and most definately will hurt. Any parent who doesn't it obviously doesn't care about there child being in pain/ distressed.

You give a child an immunisation to stop them becoming ill. But a circumsion has no purpose! It is horrible. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
The same could be said for piercing a child's ears. Completely unnecessary, painful, and done for purely aesthetic value.

Reason 1: my husband is circumcised. He wants his son circumcised as well.

Reason 2: I believe it will help with hygiene.

Reason 3: I think a circumcised penis looks better. I would not want my son to be teased in school or feel embarassed around a female because of it. I've never heard of a child teased because he was, but have heard countless stories (some firsthand) of people teased because they weren't.

I understand it's a different mindset in other countries, and it's quickly becoming a hot topic here in the states. But it's a parent's decision, and I feel it's the correct one for our family.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Supporter
beckster06 wrote:
ayamiyaki wrote:
if we ever have a son, we are absolutely having him circumcised



why? Why do you feel the need to get your son circumsised? To me its barbaric. I would never want to put my son through that. It is not up to me to decide to cut off his foreskin.

My hubby has no problem having a foreskin and it provides more sensation to a women during sex. That is its function.


If god didn't want it there he wouldn't of invented it.


P.S- it will be distressing to a baby and most definately will hurt. Any parent who doesn't it obviously doesn't care about there child being in pain/ distressed.


You give a child an immunisation to stop them becoming ill. But a circumsion has no purpose! It is horrible. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil


i agree, beck.

I hate the whole idea of it.. I know people say it prevents infections in later life.. But i've never come across a guy who's had a problem with having a foreskin. My boyfriend certainly doesn't!

We've been raised differently though, in england it's not very common at all, unless it's for religious purposes.. So I guess it's just what you're used to.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Supporter
ayamiyaki wrote:
the same could be said for piercing a child's ears. Completely unnecessary, painful, and done for purely aesthetic value.


i respect your views, coz everyone's entitled to their own.. But I wouldn't compare circumcision with ear piercing. For a start I wouldn't have my daughter's ears pierced before she actually asked to have them done.

This post is soooo gunna get locked Laughing
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 20th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
This is very interesting because I never realised it was a common thing in .America. It certainly isn't commonplace here in .England (or the .U.K in general).

I can understand people having it done because of a religions belief (even though I may not agree with those beliefs myself) but I really don't understand the 'hygiene' reason. I mean, human males have been born with foreskins for a very very long time :p . Just because women could possibly get breast cancer, does that mean their breasts should be removed at puberty?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Well, I wasn't trying to compare them. But the basic idea of it is true... Putting your child in temporary pain to alter their looks to what pleases you.

I would probably be more wary of circumcision if I hadn't personally witnessed one. It's over very quickly and the newborn I saw was finished crying even as they were putting his diaper on. It was really one of those moments when you say to yourself "oh, was that *all*?"

i wouldn't do it if there were the slightest whisper in my mind that it was cruel. No mother *wants* their child to be in pain. In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons. But again, this is a decision that my husband and I have agreed on as far as our family is concerned. I would never push circumcision on anyone else, as I feel it is entirely up to them to decide for themselves. Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
This always turns into a huge debate and it seems to always be between the americans and the english. Let's keep in mind that things are different in different countries. In america it is extremely common to have your son circumsized at birth. I'm having a boy and we're having him circumsized (i actually signed the paper at my appointment today), though I left the entire decision up to my husband as he has a penis and I don't. My husband is circumsized and he wants his son to look like him. And I can honestly say that i've never been with an uncircumsized guy and i'm sure if ever faced with an uncut penis I wouldn't have known what to do with it. So please, let's try not to turn this into a nasty debate when it's just a regional thing that is entirely normal in america and uncommon in the uk.

Oh, and I did not and will not watch the video someone posted but I think they cry because they're cold, naked, and strapped down. Everything is numbed down there and they don't feel a thing and they certainly won't remember it.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 20th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
iheartmybostonterrier wrote:
so please, let's try not to turn this into a nasty debate.


i didn't think anyone was being nasty...
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
purestgreen wrote:
iheartmybostonterrier wrote:
so please, let's try not to turn this into a nasty debate.


i didn't think anyone was being nasty...


perhaps I jumped the gun but it usually goes downhill pretty quickly...
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Green: as far as hygiene, it's literally a matter of getting soap in the right areas. Little boys are so hyper and eager, they often forget to wash a lot of areas. Underneath the foreskin would just be one in a long line. I don't consider the "cancer" argument as part of my reasoning, only because I don't really think that doctors know *what* causes/prevents cancer. For me, it's all a matter of keeping the 'hotdog' from getting funky. Wink

iheart: I completely agree as far as debating. I have no problems calmly explaining my reasoning, but will not push my views on other people. And if I do disagree with someone, I do it in a calm and rational way. I respect the members of ehealth far too much to get snotty over this stuff.

No nasty debates here! At least not on my end. *hugs* ladies! Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 20th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
No worries. I certainly don't want an argument about this subject. I just find it really interesting how our two cultures are so different in some ways. I'm sure circumcision isn't done because people want to inflict pain and suffering - that's just crazy. I just wish I hadn't watched that bloody video!!!!

Must think of nice things like...Ummm....Bunnies...And....Flowers... And penises... No no not those...*purest wanders off muttering to herself*
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I'm very glad I didn't watch the video. No one wants to watch a baby cry.

*hugs* .Green!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Supporter
I was thinking maybe one of the mods could delete the bickering posts, and keep the rest for helpful resources Wink
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
My son only cried when they restrained him and actually stopped crying during the procedure, if I remeber correctly there is something men are prone for a certain std if they are uncircumsized.


Anyways everyone has a right on how they want their child personally my son didnt suffer didn cry during or after the procedure more at the begining, so I guess it wasnt painful.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I just read all 9 pages of this... Lmao.


If this baby is a boy, we're definitely having him circumsized. I'm with .Aya on this one, though. I left it up to .Chris, &he said absolutely he wants his son to be circumsized. So it shall be done.


It's a very cultural thing, that's for sure. There are lots of things in other cultures that would be considered unusual, &possibly cruel in the states and in the uk. Such as in many .African cultures. Many of them tattoo, pierce, scar, &etc their children. That's just their culture, &although it may be a smaller culture, it's no different than different cultural procedures done in any other country. Chances are, if you are raised with men who are circumsized, you are going to circumsize your own child.


It's just a matter of understanding &accepting other cultures &their way of life.


Wink
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....