I am an 18 year old male, overweight and a smoker for two years but otherwise in good health. Four days ago I came down with a very severe cold that left me unable to speak for two days. The cold was so severe I slept for almost 18 hours a day and took quite a bit of nyquil and dayquil, sometimes combined (about two bottles of each). Nothing would stop the coughing and aching. Finally today I was able to go back to work and I can (barely) speak, but I can get around. Anyway, today at work it occured to me that I had not eaten *anything* in four days. I was extremely shocked by this because I was *not* hungry at all. I felt completely normal. I went and bought a large sandwhich on my lunch break and forced myself to eat it even though I wasn't hungry. About 3/4 the way through the sandwhich I felt pains in my stomach. Not being full, just a sort of dull ache, so I stopped eating. That went away after a couple of hours but I still have not become hungry!

This is very strange, obviously, and also I obviously need to eat even if i'm not hungry so I can function. I think the appetite loss is related to the severe sickness and the large amount of medicines I took, but i'm not sure. Keep in mind i'm still really sick, nearly constantly coughing.

I should mention that about a week before becoming sick I started a very rigid but effective diet of 1,500k/cal per day and an hour of exercise per day. I lost about 11lbs in that week and an additional 5lbs since I got sick. That makes 16lbs in the last 12 days, which I hear is very unhealthy?

I'm hesitant to eat right now because if it's for example a neurological problem I don't want to mess up any sort of test results or whatever. Anyone had anything similar to this ever happen?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 10th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Sometimes when I am sick I am like that. Not often though--but sometimes, I have to make myself eat.
|

One other thing, just now I was coughing really hard and got extremely dizzy and then had a strange tingling sensation all over my body, it feels just like that one time I blacked out, but I didn't actually black out from the coughing just now. Could this be due to not having the food or am I just not getting enough air to my brain?
|

Experienced User
Sounds like youve had a really bad bout of influenza. It is similar to a cold but has additional symtoms of fever, tiredness, aching muscles and malise (general feeling of being unwell). Ive had this once before and it really knocked me around. It can take up to a week to recover from the influenza virus. Although influenza may cause a cough I also ended up with a secondary infection of bronchitus (inflamation of the airway) which sounds like what you may have. Iam a smoker too which makes us more succeptable to airway infections expecially bronchitus. I was told to not smoke as it could delay my recovery for weeks. Your symtoms of becoming really dizzy after coughing may be a result o thef lack of oxygen and the fact that you have hardly eaten. Please whilst you are sick like this take it easy, drink plenty of fluids. If your symptoms get any worse (you feel like you can catch your breath, faint, collaspe) you must seek medical advice. Are you hearing any 'funny' noises when you inhale or exhale (like wheezes, crackles) your doc may prescribe a bronchodialater (like a puffer) to help open your airways. Keep your fluids up even if you cant eat. When you need to stand do so slowley. If you do feel dizzy elevate your legs above the height of your heart (eg on some cushions etc) as the flow of blood does not have to work so hard against gravity. Again seek medical advice if these symptoms do not resolve or you get any worse. Cheers amber
|

Thanks so much for your advice, friends.

I had a particularly bad night last night, but after waking this morning I feel much better! This is about day five, so the timeframe is about right. I also remembered that I had my influenza innoculations this year as well, they said they got the wrong strain of the virus on the news or something but maybe it could still help a little?

Anyway, aside from a cough which is not worse than my normal smoker's cough, I feel pretty much normal, appetite included. Maybe this experience will give me the willpower to stop smoking, eh? Let's hope so.

Thanks again for your support, I was really concerned about myself for a while!

-josh =)
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....