Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Constipated Newborn

My baby seems to hold in his stool often like he is unable to relax could this be a big problem and if so what kind .
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 14th, 2006
Experienced User
Try rubbing his belly and pumping his legs gently when you are aware that he is trying to have a bowel movement. If it doesn't get any better by the time he goes for his next check up, talk to the doctor about what you can do to help him. The doctor might know of something you can give him to loosen his stools.
|

replied March 14th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
My little man had the same problem, my pediatrician said to take 2 ounces of unflavored pedialite & a teaspoon of dark karo syrup, mix it up and give a little to the baby.

He hasn't had a hard poopie since!
|

replied September 12th, 2006
My step son had the same problem but his carried on for a long time. We were told to try giving him a small amount of flax seed mixed in with his food and it worked like a charm so give that a try.
P.S it tastes like crap so make sure it's in something that he enjoys
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....