I'm 20 years old and every month I hope i'm pregnant, even though I take my birth control religiously every night. I live with my boyfriend, who's 25 and in law school, and he doesn't want to start having kids for another eight years. He's scared i'm going to get prego anyway, and to tell the truth, I really wouldn't mind it. What i'm wondering is if other women have experienced these feelings, especially when they were around my age. Women used to have babies at 20 a while ago, so it might just be biological... Any thoughts/support would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 6th, 2006
Experienced User
I am 22 years old and 29 weeks preggy at the moment.

My fiancee and I were planning on having a baby in a few more years but we weren't using protection or anything so we knew that if it happened earlier than it happened, and we would happy and would accept it.

I kinda hoped at some points that I would be pregnant. Something in me just wanted to be a mommy and I just wanted to have a baby.

Once we found out that I was pregnant we had a talk where my fiancee admitted that sometimes he kinda hoped that I would get pregnant. Something inside of him just wanted it, but he never said anything. Everything was just planning for the future.

Now we are very happy and expecting our first baby!

I think that this feeling comes naturally for those who have that maternal instinct and I think that many people feel it at some point. Whether "the time is right" or not.

Good luck with everything!
|

replied February 6th, 2006
Experienced User
Congratulations! Thanks for your reply. I have older female friends who can't imagine having kids right now (one of them is 27), so i've been wondering... Am I weird? Haha. I've always had a strong maternal instinct, but my boyfriend didn't even want kids until he started dating me. I just don't want to wait so long to have a baby, but who knows, maybe i'll be glad I waited. Good luck with everything :)
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Hi i'm 21 and I know exactly how you feel. I was really bad and actually tricked my husband (stopped taking the pill) I now have a 11 month old daughter and 1 month old son.
I would not recommend doing this though as we have a really strong relationship but an unplanned pregnancy can either make or break the relationship.
Luckily my husband is a great dad but if I were you I would definately wait until your boyfriend warms to the idea a bit more.
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
Megan
some people still get pregnant while on birth control. a friend of mine took her birth control every day at the same time, made her boyfriend wear a condom, and she still got pregnant. neither of them were happy about it, but didn't want to get an abortion. after the first baby, they realized how much they loved her and had two more.

if he isnt ready, then he isnt ready. if you are, then try and make a compromise with him. 8 years is a long time to wait for something you want so bad. its not fair for him to deprive you of having a family. he may change is mind or he may find that after a couple years of waiting that he still doesn't want kids for awhile. if you find that you still want kids when he doesnt then maybe you should find someone who does.

i was with a man who refused to have kids and i couldnt wait to get pregnant. i broke it off and found a man who desperately wants kids. although we had a miscarriage we are still trying. in my personal opinion, you shouldnt have to wait so long. after awhile you start to dry out, ya know?
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....