Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Ovarian Cancer and Understanding Ca-125 Tumor Markers

User Profile
I finished chemo un November for ovarian cancer. My ca 125 test for two months were 5. The lates test I had was 24. Is this considered a big increase and what could this mean. My Doctor told me to come back in a month and check again. Does this sound like this is o.k to wait that long.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2006
Ovarian Cancer Answer A390
Ca-125 is a tumor marker that helps us evaluate an ovarian cancer. A Ca-125 level and its variations help us to consider the spread of the disease as well as therapy efficiency. An increasing level of any tumor marker (including Ca-125) is a bad sign for the prognosis of a malignant disease. To find out how bad your case is, you will need a complete CT-scan, an abdominal ultrasound, and a chest X-ray to begin.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.