Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

How to Improve My Memory? (Page 1)

I'm 18 and I have terrible memory. I believe its because of my previous addiction to marijuana. I've been clean for 3 years, however my memory is still very bad. Long and short term, is there any vitamins I can take to improve my memory problem? I would deeply appreciate any helpful info.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper danthadon
|

replied June 6th, 2006
Theres this med at wallmart thats on the shelves next to the pharmacy. Its brain something, but its suppost to be good at helping you with your memory. The costs the bad part.. Its like 40 dollars for one box... Hope it helps.
|

replied July 26th, 2006
Re: How to Improve My Memory?
I recommend you read "brain fog".

The book talks about memory problems and how to fix them. Many times memory loss (brain fog) is caused by poor nutrition, toxins, lack of sleep, poor excercise habits etc etc.

I think the book costs approx $20 but it's worth it. I bought it at

best,

edit
|

replied July 31st, 2006
Good post. Don't forget exercise. Also learn typing or to play the piano. Studies have shown there is a positive correlation between learning and practicing those activities and memory.
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Talk to someone that works at puritan's pride, their 800# is listed on the internet they have been a lot of help to me and some of my problems and their prices seem reasonable.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
|

replied August 11th, 2006
I have a mild case of add and also a really bad memory. I never like mj but I used to be into x a lot. I think that's what I owe my memory loss to because before that I never really had many problems. My brother in law introduced me to these vitamins and they promise you a lot including memory help and honestly it's worked for me; so i'd imagine it'd work for anyone. Give it a try, plus their website offers 100% satisfaction gaurantee or your money back so it's a win/win situation.

Edit
|

replied January 17th, 2007
Go goji! It helped me a lot, I was always a daydreamer, forgeting stuff, especially long term memory facts.
For example somebody would ask me: have you been in this island? And be like no, or I don't remember! Since I started gojiing, I remember even small things and memories that I forgot I had in my mind, it is amazing! I also think it helps me learn a lot faster, my spanish teacher is very pleased :d !

They say that goji is the premier brain tonic, it contains betaine which is converted in the body into choline, to enhance memory and recall ability.
|

replied January 28th, 2007
Hi

from my research I have found that a diet rich in b group vitamins may improve memory and verbal ability

regards
edit
|

replied February 5th, 2007
Nutrients That Assist With Memory And Concentration
Hi there

preventing memory decline is easier than restoring it but there are some nutrients that have done reasonably well in studies when it comes to doing both.

Some have shown the ability to reverse the severity of dementia in the elderly and with memory lapses.

In particular:

5 htp

huperzine

bacopa monnieri (herb)

gingko

bilberry

gotu kola (herb)

green tea

passion flower (herb)

schizandra (herb)

siberian gingseng

yucca root (herb)

i personally use a product called neuro-natural memory which is manufactured in new zealand. It combines all these nutrients plus many others.

I don't use it all the time but only when i'm about to start doing research over an extended period of several weeks or months. The effect is really noticeable though - after ive been on it for a couple of weeks.

I can concentrate more deeply and for longer, and my mind is really clear ( I amaze myself with stuff I remember from my childhood - it just pops up out of nowhere). I mum takes it as well - shes 78 and her memory was getting bad at times.

This supplement has 49 ingredients and was put together by a bio-scientist who has produced brain formulas for the nasa space program- I guess that's why it works so well. Hard to beat those credentials.

Cheers

brett
(nutritional-supplement-truths.Com)
|

replied February 6th, 2007
Choline is a vital component of all cell membranes, it supports the neurotransmitters necessary for memory storage and so is key in this memory supplement. Phosphatidylserine plays a role in neurotransmission, may support brain function and boost memory and is therefore important in this memory supplement. The acetyl group that is part of acetyl-l-carnitine contributes to the production of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is required for healthy cognitive function and promotes enhanced memory and cell to cell communication. Huperzine a also helps maintain acetylcholine levels. Ginkgo biloba is included in this memory supplement and is used to enhance peripheral circulation to the brain and is thought to work with siberian ginseng to support good general well-being. Vitamin b complex 50 is made up of several vitamins including vitamin b6, thiamin and vitamin b12. These work in unison with other aspects of this memory supplement to support good nervous system health. Vitamin e and vitamin c are powerful antioxidants that help protect the brain cells against free radical damage.

Please note that this is not to be taken as medical advice. If you are seeking treatment, please contact your healthcare professional.
|

replied March 3rd, 2007
danthadon wrote:
I'm 18 and I have terrible memory. I believe its because of my previous addiction to marijuana. I've been clean for 3 years, however my memory is still very bad. Long and short term, is there any vitamins I can take to improve my memory problem? I would deeply appreciate any helpful info.

I think these vitamins that im taking could help You "I started taking the vitamins about 5 months ago. They have given me so much energy and made me feel so good. I will never quit taking them! I sleep better at night and they have helped me with 4 other issues! like my Memory back Problems They are amazing! I take these vitamins because I feel so strongly about them. I am telling everyone I know, and meet, about them. Try them, you won't be sorry!"
http://dontforgettotakeyourvitamins.com/No rthern30162
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2007
Supporter
Hi
The cheap way out.........I had a cerebral anuerysm, had to relearn basically everything. I work daily crossword puzzles in the paper, and do the crytogrqmss....anything that causes you to basically think and in different manners. I also associate words with something I need to remember or find important. Peoples names, I repeat over and over and make little rhymes about it. Ginko Biloba is suppose to be good for memory, but I have eated tons of vitamins.....can't tell a difference. Oh, and alpha omega, fish oill capsules..fish is suppose to be brain food!
|

replied April 17th, 2007
Vitamin For the Brain
Often read the book, played music, or yoga also consumed the supplement for the brain.

about vitamin for brain , you can read this :
http://aboutvitamin.info/vitamin1.htm
|

replied January 11th, 2008
danthadon wrote:

You might have lost the use of some of the cells in your brain that contribute to memory function, by letting them go into disuse or atrophy. You need to replace and retrain those parts of your brain to regain your old memory performance. The two things you need to do to regain your memory capacity is to supply the brain with the raw materials readily available to create new cells and you need to train you memory and reinforce those neural connections in the new cells.

Make sure you eat plenty of Omega 3 and vitamins.

Also train your memory by playing memory games and training your brain.

Keep at this regiment and you will see an improvement in your memory.
|

replied February 14th, 2008
How improce your Memory
You can improve your performance with a mnemotechnique system.
Topic system technique is based on visualization and is organized in 2 phases :
1. learning a precis itinenaire with a succession steps
2. place the different memorize words on every stage

|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2008
I
Have this exact same problem, I smoked weed for about 4 years or my life, im now 18 and its been around 4 months of me being clean. And i just have the worst time remembering where i put things, and i cant remember much into my past, which is somewhat depressing.

thanks for all the things to do guys Smile
|

replied July 20th, 2008
improve memory
1. gotu kola
2. ginkgo biloba
3. balanced B vitamins
4. zinc
+
5. balanced diet
+
6. exercise
+
7. no-alcohol/smoking
|

replied August 4th, 2010
My memory is also not very good. Recently Ive found this this ipod touch/iphone app that helps improve my memory. it's quite fun to play and very inexpensive ($2)! Just a few minutes everyday for the past few weeks have seemed to help my memory. its called cameraeye; if you have an ipod touch/iphone, check it out!
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Some foods that improve memory include cantaloupe, blueberries, asparagus, black currants, kale and sweet potatoes. Try squeezing these in your diet. Vitamins B12 and B6 are also very important, as they protect our nervous system. Coffee, if taken in small quantities, can also improve memory.
|

replied December 13th, 2010
food items containing folic acid in your diet like romaine lettuce, black beans, lentils, okra and black-eyed peas may help to improve memory.
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Vitamin B improves memory by creating a protective shield for the neurons in the brain. These vitamins also aid in the production of red blood cells, which carry oxygen, an important brain nutrient.
|
Quick Reply