Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Fizzing Sensation In Neck (Page 1)

Does anyone ever get a crackling or fizzing sensation at the base of their head on the back of their neck? I only get it when I wake up from sleeping and being completely still for a while. Almost as if someone has opened a can of soda inside my neck?

I've looked it up on the internet and found absolutely nothing for what might be the cause, leading me to believe it is just stress and anxiety, but can anyone share a similar experience.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hsw
|

replied February 2nd, 2006
My Neck Pains...
I don't get a fizzing sensation. But I do a weird sensation. It's not an "ouch" pain, but when it's there is very annoying and constant.
|

replied February 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Yep I always have this, its gets worse when I walk, talk, or just move my head. I really dont know what it is !

James
|

replied March 6th, 2006
I get that fizzing sensation as well. I've always wondered what caused it. I've had this sensation as long as I can remember. It was more frequent in my 20's and 30's than it is now (i'm 42.)
|

replied April 23rd, 2006
Fizzing At Base of Brain
I have had fizzing at the base of my brain for several years now. It is more noticeable when I am lying down and sometimes happens when I swallow. I have also noticed that it is much worse the morning after a night of drinking. It feels like a whoosh of liquid from the base of my brain to the middle of my head. I also can't find anything on the internet and the doctor doesn't seem interested. The only way I can describe it is as though a vein or artery at the base of my brain has got kinked and there is a build up of pressure which finally releases whoosing blood up the artery and in to my brain with a fizzing noise.
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has had this phenomena explored as we seem to be among a minorioty of people who suffer from it!
|

replied May 26th, 2006
I have that too. I have never told anyone about it because I didn't know how to describe it. It is almost like the sound you hear when you eat pop rocks. I have had it for about six months. I have no idea what it is either.
|

replied June 3rd, 2006
Yes I get this too but its rare,maybe once a month.
Im thinking its the fluids within the spinal cord that cause
the sound.
|

replied February 6th, 2009
fizzing in the head
I've had this since high school, maybe 15-16. I am now 24 and it is a daily thing. It does happen to me every once and a while during the day but it is almost always while I am lying down. Usually lying on my back. It happens everyday and it is like in the center of my head and sounds like a fizzing when you crack a soda can. Like a small tube with a leak and bubbles fizzing out of it. Everytime I've ever explained it to somebody they looked at me like I was crazy. Somebody must have some idea what this is! Please post
|

replied February 16th, 2009
yeah I have this 2
Ok first off, I have had this for like 5 years now and it I think is either stomach related or anxiety related because it really goes crazy when I get nervous or have butterflies, or when I'm hungry, most of the time it really goes crazy in the morning. Does anyone else on this forum have stomach or sleeping problems? If so please explain. Has anyone seen a neurologist or doctor for this cause my doctor says its stress, so I'm sure your docs are saying the same thing....but its just so weird that its hard to think its just stress related.
|

replied March 8th, 2009
FIZZING
I have experienced this many times when I was younger. It usually happened after a prolong, and severe headache. When I could hear the fizzing sound, the pain would always subside. It is my opinion that my severe headaches where at least partially due to the elevation of pressure in the cerebrospinal fluid. When the excess pressure was finally being released, I could hear the fizzing sound. Afterward, when I was pain free, for several hours, I also experience a feeling of euphoria. I attributed this feeling to the fact that because of the headache, the level of endorphin in my central nervous system was high and once the headache was broken the endorphin give me this pleasurable sensation. As a biologist, this is the best explanation I can come up with.
|

replied April 8th, 2009
Same
I have had it for about 3 years (I'm 33) - came on the net thinking no one else would have had it, it's comforting to know others experience it. Thought it was leading to a brain problem or something - defo something to do with central nervous system... wish some doctor would reply something!
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
fizzing feeling
I get this too.. I'm 18 and had it for about a year and a half now! it happens mostly in the mornings when i wake up, its so hard to explain. It feels like something is leaking and the noise goes louder when my tummy rumbles. do you think it could be dangerous? I'm so glad i'm not the only one!
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2009
yes
i have always had the same thing and until i have read what you sed about it i could never describe what it was and when you sed fizzing i was like that's me i just had it today when i woke up but i got very dizzy from it some how and i have trouble with anxiety too so im just having a great day lol but yes i get it to i am going to try to find out what it is and i will get back to you all
|

replied April 29th, 2009
I'm just a medical student, but if the problem is recurring I would talk to your doctor about it. It may just be a pinched nerve, but if it were to be something more serious like a neurodegenerative disease it would definitely help to catch and treat it early on.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
I have had this since I was 17...I am 27 now. It is very annoying and happens randomly. I have always said it sounds like a "rain stick" but pop rocks or can of soda is a better way to describe it. I tell doctors what I feel and they look at me like I am crazy (same with my friends/family). I would love to get rid of this sound I hear daily...has anyone had any luck figuring out what it is?
|

replied June 17th, 2009
I have this as well. I've also been recently diagnosed with Benign Exertional Headaches, but suspect that I have a Cerebro-Spinal Fluid leak, because I get an odd taste in my mouth, nose leaks & headaches spurred on from laying horizontally or bending over.

I haven't went to the doctor for this new discovery yet, but I am calling my Neurologist tomorrow & hopefully I will find out.

I suggest going to a neurologist right away, and telling them other symptoms that are related, because they cannot diagnose you just from a noise alone.
|

replied July 14th, 2009
Fizzing in the head.
Hi to you all, i hope you find this of interest. I am a 41 year old male and suffer a great deal of fizzing and other funny feelings in my head (day and night). At the minute i put this down to living very near to a mobile phone transmitter. Put up about 18 months or so ago, i have been suffering since (before anybody thinks its my imagination i only found out 1 month ago). Anyway i am having this looked into and if i can i will reply with my results. If any persons are interested in locating masts go through a search engine and ask for mobile phone mast locator.
I also believe some people will suffer from using mobile phones in the form of the field prouced around the users head.
Cheers Drew.
|

replied July 14th, 2009
I've had this sensation for many years now but lately it's been getting worse. Usually when i'm hungry or nervous. but i only happens when i'm lying on my back, like most of you said. i've always wanted to know what it is i'm worried it's serious. it's exactly like all of you describe. Atleast there's some comfort knowing i'm not the only one
|

replied October 12th, 2009
Fizzing sensation in neck
Since this site is called "Ask a Doctor", why is there no reply from a doctor?
|

replied October 17th, 2009
Yes I'm glad I found this. I get a sensation high up in the back of my neck. I was describing it like standing in a running hose and feeling the water trying to get through, similar sound too. Pop rocks is a very good way to desribe it too... It sounds very much like that. I get it a few times a day. Does anybody know anything about this? I'm guessing I need not worry?
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...