Does anyone have an idea of how young your child can be before u can claim them on ur taxes?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 4th, 2006
Experienced User
I have been told that as long as your child is born in the year 2005, you can claim it on this years taxes.
But that makes no sense to me because if I remember correctly, you have to be caring for the child for at least 6 months of the tax year to claim. I'm not sure. I'm no tax professional!
|

Extremely eHealthy
With the birth year, the 6 months thing does not apply. You might not get all the child tax credits, but you will get a much larger refund just from the birth. Because the credits go by how many months--

i know this because I have filed my grand daughter for these two years. I was the provider for her as much or more than her mom--i was the "baby daddy" lol
|

Experienced User
So... Ok my daughter was born 9-28-05... Could I have claimed her for the year of 2005?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yes ma'am--you shore could have. When you are doing the exemptions for a job you would declare her either when she is born or possibly wait until 2006 to file an exemption for her. But in january 2006 when you filed your refund(for 2005)--you could have declared her and you would get lots of money back--from the taxes you paid in--the earned income credit, and child tax credits. I would have only gotten 875.00, but I declared my grandbaby--and got 3900.00 back for 2004. She was born in july.

Good news I think you can file an ammended return, but you have to wait for 3 months to get the check in the mail. Takes longer cuz they have to check it against the taxes you already filed. If you have filed them already.
|

Experienced User
You don't really have to wait 3 months. You just have to wait until after you've received your initial refund to file your 1040x. It's nice if you use direct deposit, then you can file the ammendment sooner!!! =)
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah im sure it might have come sooner if my son would have had direct deposit, but they def. Take longer working that case too. We were checking all the time, and they would not tell us anything--then one day about 3 months later it arrived unexpectedly.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....