Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Great Way to Intro Solids to Your Baby

Hey gals,

i read on the gerber website that it was finally ok to start with solids for my 3 month old. His first taste of real food is beechnut chiquita bananas (stage 1).

Anyway, I started out by using the spoons designed for babys and yes, parenting magazine does say that the first couple months of solis food eating is more like solid food wiping off the babys face. Well since we discovered gripe water, they put a tiny syringe in each package sold. I figured what the heck, i'll give it a try with that. What I ended up doing was putting some of the bananas into a small bowl so as not to be a "double dipper". I filled the syringe up all the way with the bananas and squirted just a mil or 2 onto his tounge or into his cheek area like you do with other meds given by syringe.

He totally loved his bananas and it was so little mess! He actually swallowed the food without manipulating his tounge to push it all out of his mouth. I am not sure if this is going to help or hinder his ability to work out the whole spoon thing but I am hoping that by teaching him to swallow the food that insted of pushing out the food, he will want to swallow the food.

I dont know but it is a tip from a dad anyway.

Brian
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2006
Community Volunteer
I did it with a spoon (even when we tried the cereal at 6 weeks) because everytime I go near my son with a syringe (medicinal one people) he thinks it's his booger remover and freaks out--lmao. But I just wanted to say I looooooooove the beechnut foods. We just got them here and they have awesome blends. There's this one that tastes just like mcd's apple pie--yum!!!!
|

replied January 31st, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Beechnut is my choice for our son because the factory is in a small town in ny near utica and I lived in syracuse and have seen so many of the town employers go out of business and move to mexico or china and I would like to do my part in keeping that place open so the families dependant on that mill for their lives, will still be there in 20 years.

Also the bananas are quite tasty, I do not like bananas as a general rule but those tasted pretty darn good.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...