Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Unexplained Fuzzy/dizzy Feeling (Page 1)

This past year I had several sinus infections and recurring bouts of chronic ear pain and headaches. I had sinus surgery 9/05 for chronic sinus inflammation in all sinus cavities, enlarged turbinated, and a deviated nasal septum. Since the surgery i've been without a headache for about only two weeks, and have been on nasal spray, 3 antibiotics, and 1 round of prednisone. Most recently, I went to an allergist, tested positive for allergies to dust mites, and started singulair. My ent is also sending me to a neurologist for the chronic headaches which is my biggest concern.

I have varying types of headaches, but most of them feel like my head is in a vice-grip. Oddly, for the past 5 straight days, i've been getting a very fuzzy/dizzy/awkward feeling in my head that I can't explain. It starts early in the morning and lasts all day. My head eventually starts to hurt, but exedrin will take care of the pain; however, this fuzzy feeling will not subside. I feel like i'm in the twilight zone and have trouble concentrating. It almost feels like i'm a light-headed or drunk sensation, but my vision and coordination are completely normal. The feeling is very disturbing. Any idea what is causing this sensation?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jamesab
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
Maybe the headaches are being caused by tension in the neck/scalp/head. Have you been under stress/anxiety recently? The drunk foggy feeling I have experienced, mine was cuse by anxiety/stress.

James
|

replied August 16th, 2006
Hi there

i also suffer from sinus problems,(had an operation 5 years ago to remove a bloackage in my right hand-side sinus tubes), and also experience what I would describe as 'fuzzy' feeling. I feel the same as you described, plus I get headrushes sometimes when I stand up, needing to hold on to a wall for suport. I dont get very stressed but do get quite anxious about things.I feel that I need to drink lots of water when this happens, which is not frequently, but every few days at the most.

Also, sometimes this very strange sensation happens, where everything I hear around me seems to slow down!! + my hearing becomes very sensative.Ie my heart beat/breathing/sounds becomes very loud!! Its kinda scary and freaky when it happens. Im 29 years old and this used to occasionally happen when I was a child,but stopped when I was about 15. Its happened quite a lot in the last year again. The only way I can decribe it is 'every sound I hear around me seems to slow down into a kinda slow motion which has a common, dark, reconizable rhythm to it.>>very strange and quite disturbing!!>>no idea what it is.
|

replied October 30th, 2007
Fuzzy Feeling In My Head And Tightness Around the Scalp
Hi mic9393, I don't know if you're still on this board after a year and a half but I have been experiencing the same fuzzy headache tight squeezing feeling in my head and I hate it. I have had this ongoing for the past 4 years and it seems to ease off here and there but overall it is usually lingering. Do you still have this pain and have you had any diagnosis. I have had a CT, MRI, blood tests, had my ears checked, been to a psychologist, I have had my sinuses checked (I don't suffer any problems with my sinuses), been to a neurologist, been everywhere but they all say it's anxiety.?? I find it hard to understand when I am not feeling anxious?? Some times this feeling causes anxiety but not the otherway around. Do you or anyone have any answers??
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
hi i keep going dizzy and ligth headed and felling sick get bad headeach and my ears hurt dose anyone no what it could be ?
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
hi i keep going dizzy and ligth headed and felling sick get bad headeach and my ears hurt dose anyone no what it could be ?
|

replied October 30th, 2007
I have this feeling too. From what I understand it is called depersonalization. The sensation of being in a dreamlike state or detached from reality. Mine is due to anxiety and depression.
|

replied November 28th, 2007
I am at a loss. My dizziness/lightheadedness is either on or off. I feel fine and go about my day and then it just kind of appears like a thief in the night. I go through periods where it shows up every day or a couple of times a week for a while and then disappears for months on end. When I do not have these sensations, all is well. When it hits - it freaks me out and essentially throws me into a state of panic - the "what the heck is wrong with me?" mode. My doctor has since put me on Xanax for it - he is convinced it is anxiety-related since I have suffered from panic attacks in the past and they do run in the family. But it is only the last couple of years that the dizziness has been the symptom (assuming anxiety is the culprit). My prior anxiety symptoms included the racing heartbeat and the occasional chest tightness. The Xanax helps me to not panic when I feel dizzy, but is has not relieved the feelings of dizziness.

It really bothers me that I can feel completely fine for a couple of hours and than like crap for a few hours and back and forth.

I am thinking that it might make sense to closely monitor my diet. The book "Heal Your Headache" relays how migraine is much more than head pain and that dizziness is a very common symptom. Maybe there is a pattern to the dizziness that I am not seeing related to diet.

Any ideas are very appreciated.
|

replied November 3rd, 2008
Fuzzy Feeling
I have this fuzzy feeling as well. It feels like someone scooped out the front part of my brain which doesn't make sense, I know, but that's how I explain it. I have been to the ER twice. Have had CAT scans, everything normal. My dr thinks I am having panic attacks but I have had panic attacks and this is not it. I really feel like something is wrong inside my head. I am on Xanax and yes, it does help for when I get those dizzy/fuzzy feelings butI really don't want to have to take it. When I get those feelings, I feel like everything is super bright and that I might faint. I get dizzy even sitting down and it can happen anywhere at any time. I hate it. To me, a panic attack is nervousness, sweating, palpitations, feeling of doom. It's nothing like that. I can just be working, or driving home and it hits.
|

replied December 18th, 2008
Has anyone ever experience this
Soon after giving birth I found out that my boyfriend has been with someone else. Actually he left me for her. I started experiencing these funny sensation in my head. Not a headache, it's sounds crazy it fel like stuff moving back and forth in my head. I started panicking and rush to the ER, My blood pressure also went up for the first time in my life. The did CT Scan, MRI, lumbar puncture it came back negative. I started having panic attacks, nightmare. I couldn't fall asleep bacause I thought I wouldn't wake up. I started to recover from the panic attacks, but the head issue never resolve itself. MY baby is not 4 mos old. I head seems to be getting worst. It feels at time that the inside is being ripped open. it sound crazy.I have been taking natural herbal teas from my country, but I'm afraid to see a psych..I don't them to put me on any psych meds because I'm afraid of the side effects. can anyone help? should I relax and let this go away on its own? I know it might be related to hormones. But I want to enjoy my children...I keep thinking after a year all will be well..but that's a long time..
|

replied March 7th, 2012
Anxious, fuzzy and baby sounds terrible
Hi there,
It's actually fairly common to have brain issues (depression, even paranoia or hallucinations) soon after a baby is born, particularly if you have other stresses. You should definitely go see a doctor, because it can get worse. It's called 'post partum depression'. It might be hormones, but that doesn't mean they can't help you. I have anxiety and some of what you're describing sounds like that too. Anyone would be anxious with what you're going through. Good things to do: take lots of fish oil capsules (omega 3 supplements) twice daily. There are no side effects. It reduces inflammation in your body and brain and a lot of scientists agree it helps with all kinds of things in your body and brain, and will help anxiety. Won't hurt your baby if you're nursing iether. Can't hurt. Also, finding someone to listen to you about your boyfriend cheating and betraying you and the stresses of having a little baby also couldn't hurt.
Good luck!!!
|

replied January 6th, 2009
OMG!
Is anyone still on here! Ive felt so alone with tis I could cry, thought i was going crazy!!

I just need someone to talk to who may have suffered with this. Its so hard to explain! x
|
Users who thank Missconcered for this post: jbowe 

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2009
Anyone have a child complaining of this?
I know this board is quite old, but hopefully someone will stumble upon it. I have a 14 year old daughter who has had the "funny, fuzzy, rubbing" sensations in the back of her head, sometimes on top. I have taken her to the ER and to the doctors. All say she is fine. One doctor suggested it was migraines, however, my daughter has no pain. She describes it the best she can, mostly as a fuzzy feeling or tingling. But yesterday she had one that she said made everything go black for a brief moment. They hit her at different times and we can't pinpoint anything that would "bring them on".

I hate the feeling the doctors give, as if my daughter and I are making it up...the smug "she's fine, I can't see any reason for her to have this" is very intimidating.
|

replied September 22nd, 2011
fuzzy feelings
I am i 16 year old girl. i have been having those feelings you child is having for a while now. but i also have pain as well.this happens whenever i wake up and last all day. what should i do? i have not gone for testing because my father probably wont take me because he always work and has gone to acs. please help?
|

Experienced User
fuzzy head
missconcerned are you the sam person who wrote the entry above about your other half leaving you??? iv had very similar and the feelings i experienced were unbelievable!!! i had all the symptoms of heart attack, dizzy constantly, not knowing where i am, totally confused, scared and alone, used to suffer severe panick attacks also!! i think you may be experiencing some kind of anxiety and/or depression as horrible and scary as it sounds, youve experienced something that as i know myself is totally heartbreaking!! it will definitely take time hun as it did with me i would lay there with my son while he was asleep at night and i had these feelings of being sooooo scared of the way i felt over what id been thru that i was literally panicking!!! i felt like i mite die as wierd as it sounds!! it was like i was seriously going crazy!!! the doc did put me on anti depressants but stuff that i never took them! i dont know if this is anything like what you experienced but please let me know if its helped in anyway???? hope your ok x
|

Experienced User
msg to worried momof2
the tingly feelings you say your daughter has, are these too at the back of here head??? i used to have this myself, and things also used to go black etc but with me this tingley feeling was extremely intense and it would radiate thru to my tongue as strange as that sounds and it was like some kind of spasm, was very scary, i used to get it very often was i was around the same age but im 25 now and havent experienced it in quite a few years, i put it down myself to some kind of trapped nerve, never did see a doctor but does your daughter find that this happens when she is moving her head or does it just come on for no reason???
|

Experienced User
msg to lisar4
i used to suffer from severe panick attacks and what i can tell u from an experience i had was that one night id just got into bed and closed my eyes, trying to sleep when all of a sudden everything (with my eyes closed) turned from black like normal, to bright bright white, i opened my eyes and it was still soooo bright i cudnt see till i stood up, it was like when you faint everything is supposed to go black but it was the opposite, so bright, and when i got up i walked to my bedroom door to go to the bathroom and there was no head crushing blackness like with fainting but my body felt limp and as if i was going to fall to the floor, but this was typical of a panick attack so the brightness is just another symptom, or so it was for me, and it wasnt the only occasion it happened but it did happen for absolutely no reason what so ever, i did not feel as though i was going to have a panick attack at all, felt completely normal and even relaxed but it still came on!!! wierd i know but it happens, i hope this helps x
|

replied April 15th, 2009
Cloudy brain?
to me this happened over a long period of time. a little over a year. before it hit. one day i was seemingly fine and the next, i felt drunk all day or like you feel when you get woken up really early and fall back asleep. i didn't know where i was. what day it was. what year. keeping up at school was insanely difficult.

reasons as i see it: Dehydration, i started smoking about that time. as a way of calming down from a build up of stress acquired from going as a server at an all you can eat buffet to a web designer. i was working with my head not my body. and the build up of stress + Lack of physical activity + Smoking = panic attacks that sent me to the ER where i was without warning shot up with an over dose of adivan (im hyper sensitive to medication) i blacked out and spent the next 5 months detoxing. that was fun.

then i started exercising more, started taking vitamins. and eating healthier. im almost over it. read more on wikipedia google Orthostatic Hypotension read up.

your body is in a constant state of trying to find balance and to maintain that it will cut off peripheral sub systems to protect the organism, you. the same reason why frostbite starts at your fingers and toes.
your body doesn't have sufficient materials to distribute or a means to distribute it. dehydration = low blood count = low oxygen = fuzzy head.

drink a whole lot more water and exercise. if you are already doing that exercise your brain there needs to be balance.
my problem was the big shift. i could complain about my job all day and get a work out. then all i did was think. it screwed me up pretty bad and i want to help if i can.
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
Fuzzy head
My 6 year old has been complaining of a fuzzy head for a couple of years. It's always in the front of his head. It usually happens twice a month and it includes bouts of extreme tiredness and several trips to the bathroom, throwing up. It comes on very sudden. His dr says it's migraines, but he has no pain. He has an appointment with a neurologist, but not for a couple of months.
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
migraines
You can have migraines without pain. I had bouts where I would see sparkles and zig zag lights that quickly popped. I went to the eye Dr. and she said I was having optical migraines. Some people have them without the pain and others get severe headaches. Also, when my coworkers son was small, he would get terrible stomach aches and throw up constantly, then it would suddenly stop. The doctors said it was migraine stomach aches. Just added this for information purposes.
|

replied June 27th, 2009
dizzy cloudy feeling
Hi

Dizziness is horrible. I have had a dizzy cloudy feeling in the back of my head for almost 4 weeks straight now. This has happened for years now off and on. Been to an ent and neurologist and have pretty much been told that they don't know what is wrong. Find it extremely hard to function , but have no choice but to struggle through my day b/c no one seems to care or understand this dizzy feeling. I have to hold on to things just to maintain balance. Very difficult to do when I work on my feet all day. I do suffer from migraines, but this doesn't feel like a migraine b/c I don't have a headache per say. Has anyone found any relief from this cloudy feeling other than drpression meds. I am not depressed. I am upset that doctors cannot or will not help. Depression meds are not the answer. Can anyone help?
|

replied September 18th, 2011
fuzzy brained to long
hi; just wanted to let everyone know i have had this fuzzy head for over a year now, but recently it got so bad that i was taking to the er. i have had mri's, one of the brain, one of the stem plus ct scans, doppler of the arteries, xrays, lots of blood work and numerous misc. tests. so far all are negative. i spent 10 days in the hospital and 12 days in skilled nursing before they gave up and let me go home. here i now am, almost daily my fuzzy spells are bad enough so that i can't do anything but sit around. i have just about concluded that the primary cause of my condition is a sinus infection as i have pretty bad sinus discharge for over a year. other from that, i am a healthy, energetic male who use to garden 2 hours daily and fish as often as i could get a chance. i am a senior citzen.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
fuzzy/dizzy
If you're a woman, please make sure to have your Iron levels checked. I was feeling really bad, dizzy, tired and wired at the same time. Fuzzy head, headache, muscle cramps, insomnia. My iron is low. It can cause you to feel very strange. Even if the doctor says its just a little low, take iron supplements. it has helped me. Make sure you take B-complex also.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
dizzy fuzzy feeling
Thanks for the reply. I did have my iron checked, but have not received the results yet. Will call for them tomorrow. What type of B supplements do you think would help? I am very sensitive to multi vitamins and cannot take them. How long did you suffer from this fuzzy feeling? I can't stand it anymore. Have another dr appt on wed. Hope they have some new and helpful ideas as well.Thanks again for the reply.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
Suffer from migrains/ BIH
Thank god im not the only one ! I am a student nurse and this is driving me crazy !!I have this fuzzy feeling too. it feels like i am drunk oe you know when you wake up after a night out drinking alot and you still feel a little drunk and wobbly, thats how i feel and its horrible !!! Some days are worse then others and somtimes only lasts a few hours or a few days !! I suffer from cronic headaches and migraines and have been trying out medication for over a year and a half now, all failing to help with my headaches... just make them worse actually and not nice side affects ! This dizzy thing is kinda new .... I have had it for a while but its different ... i am not on any medication at the moment and havent been for a while so its not from that! I have an appointment with the top concultant nerologest next week investigate if i have benign intracranial hypertension, i am just thinking this has somthing to do with it !! Have a look and check out all your symptoms, could be your iron level, could be down to stress and or can be down to underlining conditions! All the best to everyone with this and i hope we can all find out what it is !!!
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....