Hey, I was just hoping i'd get some advice over here. Basically, i've been with my girlfriend for over a year now. I've always used a condom. Recently, she informed me that she's been scared about the possibility of having hiv due to past relationships. She's been with other guys, she was my first. She says she had unprotected sex with one of them. She just got tested, so we're awaiting the results. They should be in this tuesday.

I'm just a little concerned because also recently, I had flu-like symptoms. I had a headache for a few days, then I got the fever and some night chills. I had the fever and the chills for about a day and a half to two days. The morning after I had the first night of fever I almost passed out at school after I started sweating and turned pale. I went to see the doctor and he told me I had the flu, and that it's going around over here. I haven't had fever after that day.

It's been a few days later and I have a little bit of white on my tongue, but that's about it. I don't know if i'm just freaking out because i'm waiting for the results or what. I definitely will get tested once she gets her results, I guess I just have to play the waiting game.

So yeah, any info/advice would be appreciated! :)

-collegeguy85
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 29th, 2006
Experienced User
Worry?
You say you've always used condoms. That's good. I would strongly suggest that you have nothing to worry about.

Each unprotected episode of sex carries a risk of about 0.3 - 1% chance of contracting hiv. That is not to suggest its alright to go ahead and have unprotected sex, but it should reassure you're girlfriend that, having only had unprotected sex once, she is more likely to be negative than positive - that is if the guy she was with was positive in the first place.

You're flu symptoms are very likely to be.... Flu.

If the worst happens and she tests positive, it would be wise for you to have a test but since you always use condoms, it would be very unlikely that you'd be positive.

Let me know how you get on. I'm sure you'll both be fine.
|

Thanks for the help! :)
|

Experienced User
Ok
I'm glad to help, and I hope that i've relieved some of your anxieties.
Protected sex is just that, protected. From an hiv standpoint, you should only consider unprotected sex when -

1. Both partners have taken an hiv test at least 13 weeks since their last unprotected sexual encounter and found them both to be negative
2. Both partners remain monogomous with eachother (do not have unprotected sex with anyone else) from at least 13 weeks prior to the hiv test and thereafter.

Obviously, unprotected sex has to happen sometimes, otherwise we'd not be here, which is why the above steps should be taken.
|

Hey, I just wanted to add that the only thing that is bugging me now is that my mouth has been really dry the past few days...My tongue doesn't have big white spots, it's just has a little bit of white, more like dry saliva, and I don't know if that's another symptom.. I know it can be anxiety too, but I dont' know...
|

Experienced User
Dry Mouth
A dry mouth is not an hiv symptom, certainly not one that is commonly recognised.

Remember though that anxiety is very powerful and can take over your pysche, making you think of nothing else but the 'symptoms' you might have.

Seroconversion symptoms, which usually occur 3-4 weeks after infection are usually -

flu like illness, with a general feeling of achiness, sore throat etc. - this is the most common symptom.
Swollen lymph nodes in more than one area
night sweats
a rash
nausea
oral thrush

I don't even know why i'm telling you this, because it is pointless to speculate on symptoms. I strongly doubt you have hiv because you had protected sex. From a medical standpoint, testing isn't required. But for your peace of mind, go ahead.
|

replied January 30th, 2006
Hey, thanks again! Yeah I know, anxiety can really do some crazy things! I appreciate all the help.
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....