Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Young, Healthy Husband Diagnosed with Hypertension... Why Ta

User Profile
my husband recently went to the doctors for a health check and has basically been diagnosed with high blood pressure. i have a few worries about the diagnosis being made so quickly with no answers as to why he is now taking drugs for high blood pressure.

every person on this earth is different - no two alike - so how can a blood pressure measurement be set at a certain target that should be reached by every person?

i have read all the guidelines on what can cause high blood pressure but i dont believe any of them apply to my husband - he hardly drinks any alcohol, he does regular excersise at a gym, we add no salt to any of our meals, he definetly has his recommended daily allowance of fruit n veg every day, and he hardly eats any junk food, he is not over weight and he is not old - the only thing the doctor can say is that it runs in the family - can this be the only reason? and if so why?

he is currently taking 10mg of Ramipril a day - as far as we know this will be for the rest of his life - will he really benefit from taking these all his life? are doctors sure that taking these wont cause any other illness?

any help with answering my questions would be great as we are just so
confused due to there being so much controversy over whats good and bad for your health!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2006
High Blood Pressure, Hypertension, High Cholesterol Answer A
I understand your concern because your husband is very young and has hypertension. Systolic/diastolic blood pressure levels (above 140 mmHg for systolic and 90 mmHg for diastolic) are taken as arterial hypertension (HTA). It is impossible to correctly diagnose HTA with only one measurement. Blood pressure should be measured each day for at least one week for proper diagnosis. If the pressure is always above the normal, accepted levels I mentioned, the diagnosis for HTA is established.
According to its etiology HTA is classified in two categories:
1. Essential (primary, idiopathic)
2. Non-essential (secondary, symptomatic)
Essential HTA is termend "cause unknown" and is present in about 95% of all cases. It is believed that this type of HTA is genetically conditioned. Some conditions (overweight, old age) and life-style (smoking, alcohol, consumption of fatty food, no physical activity…) are risk factors for developing this kind of HTA.
Non-essential HTA is present in about 5% of all cases and it is a symptom of other diseases (renal vascular disorders, hyperaldosteronism, feochromocytoma…).
In your husband’s case, HTA is probably genetically conditioned (essential HTA) because the disease is present in his family. Therapy for essential HTA is a life-lasting. Putting HTA under control is very important because HTA can damage the kidneys, heart, brain, blood vessels, eyes… Ramipril is an ACE-inhibitor. ACE-inhibitors are one of the most commonly used drugs for HTA treatment. Their most significant side effect is a cough (in 10% of patients).

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
High blood pressure is often called the "silent killer" and can cause a number of medical problems. But what is hypertension? And what types do doctors define?...
Hypertension can be caused by a number of underlying medical conditions. Which ones? Are you at risk of developing high blood pressure?...
High blood pressure often manifests no symptoms, but can seriously damage the body. So how can you tell if you're experiencing hypertension, or not? More here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.