Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Defining Iodiopathic and Symptomatic Epilepsy

User Profile
My test results said I have a significant latency in wave v (right ear). I originally went for ear infections and ended up having abr.

I have also been having tremors on my entire left side of my body (postural) and have started having full body tremors at night about once a week. My body getts stiff then shakes.

Anyone hear of this? Anything like this? My father died of an aneurysm and am wondering if it could be related to something like that.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2006
Epilepsy Answer A285
The symptoms that you describe are classic symptoms of epilepsy. Vascular aneurisms and malformations must be confirmed by a CT-scan, an MRI and an arteriography before you can be diagnosed. You can follow up with a neurologist in order to confirm or exclude diagnoses.

Epilepsy can remain unexplained ("idiopathic", primary epilepsy) or can be identified ("symptomatic", secondary epilepsy). Primary epilepsy is probably genetically conditioned. Secondary epilepsy can be caused by disorders of the brain: tumors, infarcts, hemorrhage, parasites, inflammations, traumas, aneurisms, malformations… Intra-cerebral vascular aneurisms or artery-venous malformations can also cause secondary epilepsy, but are most dangerous when they cause intra-cerebral hemorrhage.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.