Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Back Pain Feels Worse than Arthritis! What can it be?

User Profile
Hi there,

I have been diagnosed with degenerated L5 and S1 discs. Now I have also been diagnosed with Arthritis in my mid to upper back. I have a TENS unit which I use and I am on Lortab, Flexeril, Ultram, Lorazapam, and now also Prinival. My upper back is in constant pain. I can not straighten my shoulders because of it, it feels both muscle related and my spine actually hurts by mid day. I feel like a person who is 110 years old. To make matters worse my doctor says the pain is why my blood pressure has been 160/100. I just started the blood pressure meds, but I feel better in that aspect already. My question is, is there any other illness/condition that can present itself in this manner? Since my back is only affected fibromyalgia does not seem to fit and my doctor says it is Arthritis. I never imagined that Arthritis could be this life altering. Additionally, I have tried every anti inflamitory there is and they all cause kidney problems so I am not able to use them.

Thanking you in advance,

Teresa

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2006
Back Pain Answer A277
Degenerated L5 and S1 discs are frequently present during the degenerative spinal disease called SPONDILOSYS. The disease affects both the vertebrae and the inter-vertebral discs. Spondilitic changes (osteofits and discus hernia) create pressure on the roots of the spinal nerves and causes pain. Muscles spasms caused by spinal muscle contraction can also cause pain.

You can ask for more information about physical therapy (kinesis-therapy) from your doctor in order to help relieve pain. In the worst case, surgical treatment (for disc-removal) may be required, but surgical invasion is the most traumatic to your body; it is the last resort. See your doctor first, and ask for more information about orthopedic medicine and/or the name of an orthopedic specializing in back pain as well as a physical therapist in your area that you can follow up with.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.