Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

a Fun Topic (my Favorite Anyway) (Page 1)

Your family's favorite meal that is quick and easy to make:(remember not gourmet meals, quick simple meals for moms and dads to make when time is short)

one of my favorites is one my wife actually taught me.

Homemade sloppy joes: (there were 6 kids in her family so buying manwich was too expensive)

1lb ground meat browned and drained
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/5 cup of yellow mustard
2 tablespoons of white vinegar

stir it around and allow it to all heat through and it is ready for service.

Personally I like to serve mine on nice crispy tater-tots but it is normally served on hamburger rolls.

The total cost per serving on this meal is about a quarter to fifty cents depending on the grade of ground meat you use. I prefer 75/25 because it has the best flavor but many prefer much leaner ground beef.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 25th, 2006
Experienced User
My mom always used to make this stuff, it was just mac and cheese (home made, not the kraft stuff) and then you add ground beef...Its pretty yummy
|

Active User, very eHealthy
liwikiwi wrote:
my mom always used to make this stuff, it was just mac and cheese (home made, not the kraft stuff) and then you add ground beef...Its pretty yummy

something you might like to try instead of ground beef is something we just started doing on our grocery shopping day.

We buy a rotiserie chicken from the deli and when we get home, I put away all the groceries and my wife will make a box of mac and cheese, she cuts up about 1/2 of the chicken and put it in the finished mac and cheese. It is awesome! (unbelieveably simple yet very tasty and super quick)

the other half of the chicken gets cut up for chicken salad sandwichs for her lunchs. You wouldnt believe how awesome the left over chicken from a $4.00 deli chicken is when being made into chicken salad.
|

Experienced User
Oooooo I have another one...But its not a meal. Its a dessert.
My mom used to take rice crispy squares and then add greame crackers (or golden grams) and chocolate. So it was like a s'more...And then she'd freeze it and we put icecream on it
its soooooooo good!

The chicken and mac cheese sounds good too, I think I just might make that tonight =)
|

And we are sitting on 2 boxes of rice crispies and 3 bags of mini marshmallows. There may be something in the works here.

As far as the deli chicken goes, it is so easy and the kids and even your hubby should love it and it will make your life just that much more simple.

I love to cook gourmet and I do most nights becuase my wife works hard and I am home all day (house hubby/daddy) so I try to make coming home something exciting instead of the boring part of the day but on shopping day, it needs to be quick and easy and even better than that delicious.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Quick and easy:

minute rice,
frozen/fresh brocoli
deli chicken

cut up the brocoli (steem it if it's fresh (just a few extra mins.))
and chicken and stur it in rice (brown, white, wild), your choice (i use wild)
and add a can of cream of mushroom (any kind of cream soup)

i only add a half of a can to mine as my hubby doesn't like it soggy.

And here's dinner in about 10 mins.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Even better just order in gotta love pizza lol
|

Pizza is ok but for this topic, it is intended to be a topic of quick cooking tips for those that do not order pizza daily. ;>p

of course we all love pizza but I know in my financial situation, pizza actually costs about the same amount of money for one pie as it will cost me to cook an entire weeks meals including lunchs for me and my wife.
|

User Profile
sunflower_pie81 wrote:
quick and easy:

minuit rice,
frozen/fresh brockley
deli chicken

cut up the brockley (steem it if it's fresh (just a few extra mins.))
and chicken and stur it in rice (brown, white, wild), your choice (i use wild)
and add a can of cream of mushroom (any kind of cream soup)

i only add a half of a can to mine as my hubby doesn't like it soggy.

And here's dinner in about 10 mins.

my recipe is kind of like yours...Only not...Lol

2-3 cans of mushroom soup (or any kind of cream soup)
minute rice or regular rice
chicken breasts or pork chops (uncooked)

in a large-enough casserole dish place meat and soup and a can or two of water. Put lid on and put in oven at about 350-400 for about 2 hours (that makes meat really tender) if you put meat in frozen check it to make sure that it is done. Giving yourself enough time to when meat is done cooking, cook up rice.

Serve the soup over rice and enjoy :d

tada this is a fantastic meal :d my mom always cooks it as something fast, and it's pretty cheap, depending on what kind of meats you use...But it's very tasty.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Yuuum
Ok here is an easy dish that is so yummy-

1 package of velveeta shells and cheese
1/2-1 cup (approx.) of frozen chopped brocoli
1/2-1 cup (approx.) hilshire farms turkey sausage (or polish sausage if you are not counting calaries)
ritz crackers

turn the oven on broil. Cook the macaroni and cheese. Microwave the brocoli then add to the mac and cheese. Brown the sausage on a skillet then add to the mac and cheese. Stir it all up then place in a square baking dish. (don't know the size off hand) add crushed ritz crackers to the top and put in the oven on the top rack. Leave it in only for a couple of minutes or it will burn. The top should be nice and crispy. Enjoy!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Well by reading these posts I learned how to spell brocoli and minute. Very good (spelling not my strong point.)

kimmeth,

that sounds delightful. I'll have to try it out for myself.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Oops...Actually I did spell brocoli wrong...Should be broccoli!
|

Extremely eHealthy
designergal wrote:
oops...Actually I did spell brocoli wrong...Should be broccoli!

here I am thinking you were teaching me how to spell.

Oops
|

Extremely eHealthy
tamadrummer wrote:
of course we all love pizza but I know in my financial situation, pizza actually costs about the same amount of money for one pie as it will cost me to cook an entire weeks meals including lunchs for me and my wife.

for those of us who love pizza quick and easy and cheap recipe:

1 can of buscits
pizza sauce (or spegitti sauce starting at .89 cents here)
pizza cheese, (we have used sliced cheese a few times)
ham, pepperoni, sausage, ground beef, (any kind of meat)
and veggies if you like.

Pre-heat oven to the buscits label

roll out buscits to the thickness of your choice
spoon on the sauce on half of the buscit
sprinkle on the cheese to your liking on half
your choice of meats and veggies on half

then fold over like a taco and take a fork and mash the edges together
(dont' have to fold if you don't want just put toppings over the hole top)
bake and whallah pizza rolls

my mum made these when I was a kid....Yummy

god now I am hungry
|

Experienced User
sunflower_pie81 wrote:
:

1 can of buscits

whats buscits? Maybe we don't have that in canada, i've never heard of it..?
|

The kind that come in the cardboard tube. Pillsbury grands and most store brands too. They are just pieces of precut bisquit dough that are put into a cardboard tube and they are pretty good too.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Maybe if I spelled it right it u may know what it was.

Sorry about my spelling
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Me and my fiance found these bags of chicken stir-fry...(tysons)...Everything is included the rice,chicken,vegtables,sauce...

It takes like 15 minutes or so...It was so yummy ..We had it lastnight for the first time..I would recommend it..

I think it was around 4/5 dollars..For a bag
|

Maybe it's just me and my weird family but lol... We like mac n cheese cooked with a little bit of milk and tuna fish added in with it. Make sure that the mac n cheese is a little creamy. Its oh so good once all cooked and it takes less then 20 minutes.
|

replied January 26th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Jill,

those stirfry things are really good and tasty. I agree with you,

gen
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...