We have a puppy that turned 1 in december and we were looking for any input on how anyone has gone about introducing the new baby to the family dog. He is a chihuahua, does not bite or bark and he loves kids. He's also very obedient. We want to introduce him in a way so he won't be jealous of the baby so he will protect her instead of not like her. Thanks for any input!!!
-hopeful
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hopefulmjz
|

replied January 25th, 2006
Hey,
i have 2 dogs, both german shephards, and also expecting a new baby within the next month. I've looked into a lot of sites about intro for baby and dog. And what i've learned are:
a) dogs don't get "jealous" it's a human emotion
b) bring recieving blankets, clothes etc. Home before bringing baby home so the dog can get used to the smell
c) buy a cheap doll and hold it and pretend it's a real baby, and whenever the dog gets uncomfortably close, say, "baby! Down" to teach the dog.

There are couple of sites you can check out
one is:
Babycenter.Com
cheers
|

Experienced User
My neighbour carried around a doll (and but lilke baby powder and dirty [not poo covered, just worn] clothing from her friends kid..So it would and just acted like it was a real baby. She wouldn't let the dog jump up or w/e when he was curious, made him be gentle blah blah blah....
It worked for her with both her babies
|

Extremely eHealthy
The doll is a good idea, I never thought of that. The reason I wondered about "jealousy" is whenever the cat comes near me and I pet him the dog runs over to me and nudges my hand so I pet him instead of the dog lol. I'll definately have to checkout that site. Thanks for the input ladies!
-hopeful
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...