Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

a Topic From the Pro-life Forums

This is in relation to something that annoyed me off of the pro-life forum. In the hopes of keeping hte peace and repecting their privacy, I have posted my opinion (and the facts to support it) over here. I'm also going to post this in the pro-choice forum, I like it so much.

Alright... There are other conditions besides ectopic pregnancies that are life threatening! The pro-life post I believe said something along the lines of ectopic being the only one, or there being no other reason to ever abort except for in the case of an ectopic.

So, here is information regarding other life-threatening situations for pregnant mothers.

conditions that can kill during pregnancy:

--pre-eclampsia
--eclampsia
--hemorrhage
--ectopic pregnancy
--pregnancy-induced hypertension
--embolism
--infection

"girls aged 15-19 are twice as likely to die from childbirth
as women in their twenties; those under age 15 are five times as likely to die."

and now, some links. You will have to fix the capitalization once you click on them. E-health hates links ;)

self defense and abortion:this is from a religious site but it manages to be very objective.

the effects of pregnancy: this one is sure to make pro-life mad, but it has so much good information that I suggest it to everyone. Apparently the link doesn't work that way, so here's the actual address for your de-capitalization and reading pleasure: http://www.Gate.Net/~liz/liz/004.Htm
you're going to have to copy that one into notepad or something, because earthlink automatically redirects to a 404 page, and doesn't retain the original address in the address bar. But this site is really good, so it's worth the effort!

maternal mortality in new york city: this is a pdf file. You don't even hve to read it, just look at the tables. I suggest table two. It's labled. Again, e-health is being irritating. Here's the link: http://www.Amwa-doc.Org/index.Cfm?Objectid =180e0267-d567-0b25-55828969b53c3b19
you'll probably have to paste that one into notepad too, to get the capitalozation right before entering it in your seach bar.

I hate auto-capitalize!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
What about a pregnant woman that was kicked heavy-duty in the stomach and the fetus would not have made it or what about a fetus that is missing certain organ parts that cannot be replaced. What about an iud that was seen in the fetus' head. What about choice, not everyone needs to know the reasons why. Their are special kids out their that cannot even take care of themselves how can they take care of a baby, or a terminal patient or someone that is going through chemo.
|

replied January 23rd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
sandyallen wrote:
what about a pregnant woman that was kicked heavy-duty in the stomach and the fetus would not have made it or what about a fetus that is missing certain organ parts that cannot be replaced. What about an iud that was seen in the fetus' head. What about choice, not everyone needs to know the reasons why. Their are special kids out their that cannot even take care of themselves how can they take care of a baby, or a terminal patient or someone that is going through chemo.

i was looking for situations where the mother herself was at risk of death (and sometimes the fetus too) not situations pertaining solely to the fetus. I'm pro-choice too remember! Of course there are many, many good reasons to abort. I just felt like pointing out that there are other situations besides ectopic that threaten the mother's life directly.
|

replied January 24th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
When a forum that I frequent is up and running once again, I will be able to post a larger, more exhaustive list of not only the things which arise only within pregnancy that can kill the .Woman but also those things which arise only within pregnancy and scar the .Woman (or render her infertile) for life.

My sister had gestational diabetes during her pregnancies and it affected much more than just her blood sugar.

A friend of mine has pre-existing problems with epilepsy and cannot survive an unplanned pregnancy for long as it will exacerbate her illness. She has to plan her pregnancies, literally, years in advance so that she can take the proper medication regimens. An unplanned pregnancy left unknown for any length of time will put her life in danger. She buys pregnancy tests every month and tests five days prior, two days prior, day of, and then every day thereafter if her period does not arrive.

My other sister, the idiot, had severe blood pressure problems when she was in labor. They were mere seconds from rushing her to the or for a c-section when she finally stabilized.

I know several .Women who were having "normal" pregnancies until they suddenly miscarried, without illness and without warning. My aunt, my voice teacher from freshman year of college, my sister (the idiot - though she may have done something to make herself miscarry), my highschool government teacher (the one who encouraged me to go to law school), and my best friend from highschool who unexpectedly had a stillbirth when we had just turned 20.
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I surely would not want to be born without my mother. Mother's mean sooo much I have heard sooo much from people who have lost and do not remember their mother at a very young age and it was pure hell for most of them!
|