Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Colon Cancer Prognosis

User Profile
I have a relative who was diagnosed with colon cancer (could be stage 4). She had surgery and then six weeks later she started chemotherapy. Eight weeks after the surgery she went back to surgery to reverse the colostomy. During this procedure the doctor found that there was more cancer in the colon, so he removed an additional section of the colon. Is it possible that the cancer came back or spread because they did not start her on chemotherapy right away? Isn’t six weeks too long or is it standard?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2006
Colon Cancer Answer A214
During Stage IV colon cancer, the cancer is so spread through a host that both surgery and chemotherapy are unable to cure the disease (palliative therapy). They can only slow down the process for a little while and enable colon passage and feces elimination (colon-stoma). It sounds as if the cancer didn’t make a return to the affected area but that it was already present. In my opinion, I don’t think that starting with chemotherapy earlier than 6 weeks could have made the prognosis better.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.