Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Hospital List/ Home List From Consumer Reports

Here is a list that actually seemed to incorperate everything and the kitchen sink.

November 2005 send to a friend printable version
new baby basics

a master list for new moms and dads

here's a checklist of what you should have on hand before your baby arrives.

Tooling around
_____car seat.
_____stroller.

Beds and linens
_____crib.
_____crib mattress.
_____bassinet/cradle (if you don't want to put your baby in a crib right away).
_____two to three fitted crib sheets.
_____four or more waffle-weave cotton receiving blankets for swaddling baby.
_____two mattress pads.
_____one to two waterproof liners (for crib or bassinet).

Diaper duty
_____diapers. Disposable or cloth.
_____diaper pail. (optional with disposables.)
_____diaper bag.

Dressing baby
_____four sleeping outfits or onesies (one-piece sleepers), preferably with attached feet.
_____six side-snap t-shirts.
_____four to six one-piece undershirts that snap around the crotch.
_____a small baby cap (although the hospital will probably give you one).
_____six pairs socks/booties.
_____two to three soft, comfortable daytime outfits. Get only a few items in newborn size. Then, go for clothing in the 6-month size--your baby will grow into it quickly. But don't buy baby sleepwear that's too big; it's a fire hazard.
_____cotton sweater or light jacket.

Summer babies
_____brimmed hat.

Winter babies
_____snowsuit or heavy bunting.
_____heavy stroller blanket.
_____warm knit hat.

Feeding time
if you're planning to breast-feed:
_____two or three nursing bras.
_____a box of washable or disposable breast pads.
_____breast pump if you expect to use one.
_____four small baby bottles with newborn nipples for expressed breast milk.
_____bottle drying tree.
_____bottle brush.
_____insulated bottle holder for diaper bag (the hospital may give you one).
_____three packs of cloth diapers or burp cloths.

If you're planning to bottle-feed
_____six 4- to 5-ounce bottles, plus nipples, rings, and a dishwasher basket if you use a dishwasher.

Bathing/grooming
_____three soft hooded towels.
_____two packs of baby washcloths.
_____ baby body wash that doubles as shampoo.
_____pair of blunt-tip scissors or baby-sized nail clippers.
_____zinc-oxide-based diaper rash ointment.
_____infant bathtub.
_____soft brush and comb.
_____mild laundry detergent.

Medicine chest essentials
_____a pain-and-fever reducer recommended by your baby's doctor, such as infant's tylenol.
_____cotton pads/swabs.
_____nasal aspirator.
_____digital thermometer.
_____rubbing alcohol.
_____petroleum jelly.

Keeping baby happy
_____pacifiers.

Extras: nice but optional
_____monitor.
_____changing table.
_____a rocker or glider.
_____soft carrier.
_____swing.

Maybe blaze could sticky this. Could come in handy.
Brian
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks! I was looking for a list exacly like that!
|

replied January 20th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
No problem. I actually thought more would find it helpful because it is an extremely detailed list.

If there are others using this forum and this list is not exactly what you were looking for and you use microsoft office, you can go to the office website and do a search for hospital list. That one is pretty good yet no where nearly as detailed as this one and it doesn't include equipment for home.
|

replied January 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Well its helpful for me lol im printing it out
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2006
Community Volunteer
I can't sticky a post already going but could make a new one. Gimme time my comp is acting f-ed--lol
|

replied January 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks tama I was looking for that... I am printing it out right now!!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Brian thanks for posting it at least it gives a more than vague idea of what is needed..........................

You must be a great dad!!! I think ur one of the only guys who actually gives us preggo woman advice, keep it up and tell ur wife shes one lucky woman lol!!
|

User Profile
Supporter
diamondsz wrote:
brian thanks for posting it at least it gives a more than vague idea of what is needed..........................

You must be a great dad!!! I think ur one of the only guys who actually gives us preggo woman advice, keep it up and tell ur wife shes one lucky woman lol!!

ditto, brian you're a great help :)
|

Experienced User
Omg, lol it was 5 years ago the last I give birth cant even remember the list that I did lol
thanks for that list I need a lot of catching up to do now. I feel like a primagavida again lol
|

Thanks for the kudos and yes both nicole and I are very lucky we have each other. On the 28th of this month we will have been together for 6 years. It is truly amazing when we both think about it because it feels like it was yesterday that we were meeting at a "set up" card game.

Neither of us knew our mutual friends were setting us up.
|

Experienced User
tamadrummer wrote:
thanks for the kudos and yes both nicole and I are very lucky we have each other. On the 28th of this month we will have been together for 6 years. It is truly amazing when we both think about it because it feels like it was yesterday that we were meeting at a "set up" card game.

Neither of us knew our mutual friends were setting us up.

awww that's nice to hear hope you enjoy your anniversary (is it?) are you gonna have a babysitter for your child during that special day?
|

No, we don't relly need a sitter at this point. We can put him to sleep and have a nice evening here at the house.

I love to cook and we both love to eat so it makes better sense both financially and "in the moment" (wink) for us to be right here at home base.

We have an excellent butcher shop called the land and sea market www.Landandseamarket.Com and that is where we get out filet mingon and snow crab legs. They have the most meaty crab legs I have ever had, bar none! I have eaten in some of the countrys most classy/expensive resturaunts and by far these guys have them whipped! So anyway I will make a nice surf and turf supper and something like peach cobbler and edy's double vanilla ice cream and the night is set perfectly.

So to make a long story short, we don't go out too often because being home is so much more comfortable and with her work schedule the last thing I want to do is make her get dressed up one more time to go out and spend a bunch of money.
|

replied February 15th, 2006
Bump to the top
|

Extremely eHealthy
Oh thanks brian! I remember you posting one, and when I looked back to find it, I only found the hospital one. Thanks a million!
-hopeful
|

Especially eHealthy
Thats a great list but u no I didnt see wet wipes on there and I ahve to add that avent brand breast pads are great they are so absorbent and soft
|

Extremely eHealthy
Just out of curiosity what is the petroleum jelly for? (sorry if this is a stupid question) diaper rash? Just wondering....I actually did buy some, then when I got home I wondered why. And I forgot cotton balls to apply the alcohol to the umbilical cord. I'm starting to pack our bags for the hospital. So far the hardest thing to do is choose which outfit I want to bring her home in :p
|

Especially eHealthy
I think one reason you need petroleum jelly is for rectal thermometers but there is diaper rash cream for rashs. I took 2 onesies and an outfit to the hospital so the days we were there she could wear the onesies instead of the hospital shirt that always seems to big. I bought a 2 pack of gerber long sleeve newborns and they were the best things I think I purchase cuz they fit really well and looked really cute what size is the outfit u are taking? U should take a newborn and a 0-3 month one just in case she is small our large. My daughter weighed 7 10 and she wore newborn clothes the entire first month
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...