Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Examinations for Stomach Problems; Emetaphobia and HIDA Scan

User Profile
Hi, i have been suffering with stomach problems for years and ive tried nearly every drug out there but i am still no better. i recently went for an ultrasound scan and it showed i had a "thickend wall" gall bladder. my GP has refered my to a surgeon. I am very worried that the surgeon will want to operate to remove my gall bladder. Can you tell me if a thickend wall gallbladder is serious? also my gp says i will probaly have to go for a HIDA scan. I am also very nervous abouty this procedure as i have heard the hormaone they give you (CCK) makes you vomit. I am emetaphobic (fear of vomiting) would i be able to take an anti emectic before the HIDA scan? or do u think this will effect the outcome of my results.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Paul

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2006
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass, Colon Disorders Answer A186
You shouldn’t take any anti-emetic drug before performing HIDA-scan. Also you should consider performing a gastro-duodeno-scopy for detecting possible gastritis, peptic ulcer, hiatus hernia, gastro-esophageal reflux, tumors etc.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.