Medical Questions > Relationships > Dating Forum

Does Distance Matter?

Do Long-Distance Relationships Work?
Yes
No
72%  72%  [ 8 ]
27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11
Just a poll to see how many people out there think that long-distance relationships don't work... And i'm intersted in hearing from those who do have a long-distance relationship on how they make it work...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2009
Experienced User
I answered NO because it didn't work for me and I have no idea if it will work for me in the future. I think it depends on both parties and if you are married or not. It almost caused my parents to get separated as well.
|

replied November 24th, 2009
Experienced User
I think they could work, if it moves from long-distance to short-distance!Smile I think the faster it moves to a real relationship--seeing someone in person frequently--the better the outcome is going to be. Otherwise, it just drags on and no decisions are really made about the future.
|

replied November 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Uncle - Airline pilot - Divorced
Friend of family - Airline Pilot - Never married
Mother's Best friend - Flight Attendant - Divorced twice
Army friend - Divorced after 4 months wife cheating with multiple men.
Army friend - Happilly married, posted with wife and family, refusing promotions that mean deployment because of the strain it puts on his family when he's away.
Navy friend - Divorced twice
Army friend - Divorced while in country after 6 months of marraige.
Friend of friend - Works in travelling sales and service - getting divorced
Ex Girlfriend - Does long term contract work out of state - Divorcing her husband after less than a year.

I don't know anyone who is away from their mate who has a healthy working relationship. I do know that there are people out there that function best at a distance but often when deployment ends or contract work is up or when there's an airline strike things hit the fan pretty quickly from having to be around the person they love all the time. Really any relationship with stability needs to have both intimacy and readilly available personal communicaiton. You can't have either of those effectively if you're not very close geographically.

Honestly I'd be hesitant about getting serious about someone that lives more than a half-hour away from you.
|

replied November 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
i have never really been in this situation so this is just my opinion...i think it would depend on a few things..how strong you are together....how long you are away...if you have regular contact ie.. phone, email, text if you do all these things and are strongly in love then yes i beleive you can...Jenny
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
YES it CAN work..but it takes ALOT of work and commitment and honestly I dont know that i'd do it again...My boyfriend and I had been dating 2 months when I left to go to college 4 1/2 hours away..we were long distance for 8 months...it had its ups and its downs..the relationship stayed spicey for a long time since we only got to see each other about once every month lol however..there were ALOT of arguments and it was very hard..especially trusting someone you've only known 2 months...that in itself was hard enough...but..we made it through it and its been about 3 1/2 years...i am attending college back home now so we are no longer long distance and things are great...so, anyway..yes it CAN work..but its very hard..you have to have 2 people that are truly willing to work at it and make it work
|

replied January 19th, 2010
i agree with j3nnyuk. i met this guy through one of my friends. he lived in pennsylvania and i lived in missouri. we started talking occastionally and it eventually became a friendship like no other. talking everyday. endless amounts of texts and emails. this past summer i worked up the courage to fly to see him. i stayed two and a half weeks and i felt like i had known him my entire life. but after i had left i started feeling like i didnt know him anymore at all. there were many things he would say and do to make me feel as if he were hiding things from me and didnt care if he did anything with any other girl. i wasnt even sure any of it was worth it anymore. but i took a chance. a crazy one. i ended up moving in with him this past december and things have been pretty great so far. i honestly felt that if i did not move in soon things would have ended. everyone says im crazy for doing this. but i think i have a chance to make something great out of this. id say the main thing to make any relationship work, especially a long distance relationship, would be trust. trust was my biggest issue and im still not 100% sure and never will be. you just have to both be willing to work at it and trust each other.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2010
They can work...I''m currently in a long distance relationship. I can tell you right now it''s extremely painful and that it takes a lot from the both of you. You have to be able to comunicate extremely well and trust that person entierly. It takes a lot of time and devotion, too. You must be willing to wear your heart on your sleeve and tell your partner everything. Comunication is key in this case. The more you get involved the harder it is on you. The distance between you will really start to beat you up. But i think that in the long run it''ll all be worth it.
I love my boyfriend with all of my heart and i couldnt be any happier with him. He makes me so happy and is the perfect man for me. I just wish that i could hug him, hold him, love him in person...That''s the only thing i am unhappy with. (:
I think that if you truly love that person...you''ll find away to overcome the distance. Or atleast work with it for the best of your relationship. (: <3
|

replied February 28th, 2011
Where does this person live? and where do you live?
|

User Profile
replied March 23rd, 2011
yeah..definately works out,if both have trust and honesty for each other...both should try to keep their relation alive and healthy by emailing, texting,chatting, or sending cards etc..Trust is the Key thing in long-distance relationships...plan for reunions that makes relations exciting n serve you the satisfaction of being able to see and touch each other ocassionally..here right amount of effort and interest from both sides is most important thing... try to refresh your sweet memories and inform one another of personal things n keep in touch as possible as..thn both definately feel secure, happy and successful relationship...
|
Tags: hearing
Quick Reply