User Profile
Hi, Im writing this because Im very distressed and concerned about my health at the moment. I started having a tingling sensation at the back of my scalp, last October, accompanied by dizziness and fatigue and pins and needles in my arms, legs and sometimes my whole body. I also had these strange burning, aching sensations in my arms and legs. I then started to experience attacks where I would get a really bad headache, sometimes accompanied by pressure in my head and numbness in the right side of my head, neck, face, right arm and leg. My vision was/is affected too - I had occasional blurring, mainly in the right eye and grainy vision, which mainly affected my peripheral vision. The numbness in my head seemed to subside after a while but its returned recently and is much worse, now accompanied by a really bad squeezing feeling and heaviness in my head, especially when walking. My balance is sometimes affected too. Ive been to my Doctor on numerous occasions and to A&E in my local hospital but no one ever seems to be taking me seriously. I was finally referred to a Neurologist (who also didnt seem to take me seriously), but referred me for a CT scan, though he told me it would be a long time before I would get an appointment. Im really worried because Im getting more tired as time passes and its really making my life a misery. I would be grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks

Z25

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2006
Neurological Disorders Answer A178
A CT scan can help diagnose problems with the neurological system and is the most accurate test for detecting nervous system disorders. However, the symptoms you describe here are typically experienced by a person diagnosed with somatoform disorder (a type of neurotic disorder). Worry, anxiety and an obsession with symptoms can actually increase the likelihood that those symptoms present themselves in the body...but they are created and started in the mind. If the CT scan is normal, the only other medical check to consider is a psychiatric examination in order to diagnose and treat possible somatoform disorder.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.