Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Flakes Brought On Depression

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Hey

i am severely depressed because I have seborrheic dermatitis on my face and scalp. I've had this condition for 4yrs and nothing has really worked to clear it up. I've tried hyrdrocortisone, nizoral shampoo.. Ect.. Ect. I've also tried putting olive oil and black seed oil on my face, sadly it didnt help. I've bought multi-vitamins, I didnt see no difference. I seperately bought vitamins b5, c, d, a, zinc, biotin, and a bottle that contained all the b-vitamins(b-complex). I also tried fish oil capsules, I didnt see no difference. I tried different anti-dandruff shampoo on scalp i.E. Head'n'shoulders, selsum blue. Nizoral used to work the best but it no longer works as well as it use to.

I flew all the way to london,england to see a homeopath. I was told to take these pills(cant remember what they were called). He also advised me to buy an aloe vera gel/cream to rub on my face. Before I got the aloe vera I decided to go into a homeopathic store and I stupidly bought this cream that supposedly was to help my condition. The cream had borage in it which i've heard is helpful for my condition. I began this routine where I would take 2pills a day. I would put on the aloe vera in the morning and the borage cream at night . Anyway, it didnt help at all. In fact I got a huge rash that took weeks to disappear. I sunk into a deeper depression. All in all I would say not a good experience.

This condition has caused me nothing but grief . My skin never gave me any trouble for 17yrs. I use to have an active social life and now i've become the queen of anti-social. I lost many friends. I dropped out of university, and I cant work due to anxiety brought on by this condition. Basically, I no longer leave my house period. When I do step out , im hunting for new products to try out or im at my doctor.

Enough of my babble----i was wondering if anyone new about any new treatment for seborrheic dermatitis or any treatment that works for that matter????????????????????????

Any reply or positive suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 24th, 2003
Hi koshin,

i don't have your problem so I cant relate to what your going through. I have had depression, severe depression and I currently take medication to control it.

As I see it, your condition is controling your life. As I see it, you've become "the queen of anti-social", losing many friends. You've dropped out of a university and you cant work due to your anxiety brought on by your condition.

Is it your condition that has told you to become the queen of anti-social? Is it your condition that has chased your friends away, is it your condition that has forced you out of your university, and is it your condition that has forced you to not work?

If your not careful, your condition will force you into severe depression. Don't allow your condition to control your life. We all have what we call conditions. Some of us are left with one limb, some with one eye, some with no sight, some with fat, some to thin. We all have to live with those conditions and we have no other choice.

Like it or not koshin, you must accept your condition and live a normal life until you find a cure. Unless you do that, your condition will hold you a prisioner. Take control, you are still you, what is happening is instead of just your condition, your creating more problems for yourself.

There are those in this world who will look at your condition, there are those who will say things about your condition, but if you accept your condition and you must, then those who are your friends will accept you with your condition. To the others, well, f them. They were never truly your friends anyway.

Koshin i'm just trying to save you from something worse than your condition. Believe me, go into severe depression and you'll never think about your condition, all you'll think about is, well when you can think, how do I end all this. Of course that brings on a new set of problems for those you leave behind.

And koshin, after your gone, just what if all those people you thought turned against you, come to your funeral and your watching over them and saying to yourself, "why the hell didn't I understand just how much they loved me, how much of a friend they truly were".

You don't want depression, that's a problem you'll never cure. Accept your condition and think about those who have far worse problems. Sure you'll never forget your condition, but say, o'h, what the hell.
|

To: Peicekeeper2502
Hey

my condition has already forced me into severe depression, so much that im on medication(2 pills a day). I was clinically diagnosed with major depression by a psychiatrist. I know that there are far more serious conditions/diseases/problems that exist in the world and am truly grateful to my lord for not experiencing them. But at the same token my problem ,as small as it may be in the grand scheme of things, matters because it affects me! I think its insensitive of you to suggest that im holding myself back just because. I have developed a fear of going outside and socializing with others because of seborrheic dermatitis. I feel as though you are judging me and the way I see it unless you have walked a mile in my shoes you dont have the right to. My life was fine before my condition so obviously it is due to my condition why ive developed depression, dropped out of university ,ect ,ect. Ive developed anxiety which is so strong that I have a problem going outside, which leaves out being able to work and having friends. My anxiety is soo strong that many times I have cancelled appointments with my doctor and shrink because I was afraid of leaving the house. This is no small problem. I didnt come on this forum just for kicks I was looking for help and just a little reassurance that I wasnt alone since nobody understands what im going through in my life. If I wanted to hear that "nothing is wrong with me", then I wouldnt have bothered coming on this forum rather I would have sit beside my family so they could tell me that depression doesnt exist and the feelings im feeling are non existent and that im making something outta of nothing!
I would never speak to someone else who had depression like the way you spoke to me because I know how it feels to be depressed. There are many people who are hurting in the world and little kindness goes along way. Even though I think you could have been a little nicer I will say thank you to you for taking time(sec/min) off your life to reply back to me.
|

I guess it appeared as though I was judging you. I truly meant no harm. I was merely trying to pick you up so you could continue your life. I failed and I apologize. Your right, I haven't worked for a mile in your shoes. Just let me wish you as merry a christmas as you can have. If you can do one thing for me, smile. Just one little smile and remember, I cared enough to try. And I proved to myself once again, i'm only human and I made errors too.
|

Hi

although I was a little hurt by some of the wording you chose to use in your first reply, I know understand you werent attacking me but merely trying to help. Thank you for caring enough to reply back. I wish you a happy holiday, piecekeeper. Ill try to smile more, even though I feel confused and lost.
|

replied December 25th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

these are at this damn computer not at you!! I've just lost my 2nd post to you so hopefully 3rd time lucky!!!!

Try this site www.Lef.Org the life extension foundation which i've found very useful for medical info.

Also & i'm shortening this so bare with me, try to get hold of 5htp ( a supplement of tryptophan which works on the brain to reduce stress - despite a certain other user saying i'm preaching bah humbug - i've seen this help many people who are stressed, depressed, bi-polar, manic depressive etc & from what you say you must be stressed by what you're going through & while reducing your stress won't solve your condition it will help you feel better & hopefully enable you to take that good advice from peacekeeper & take back control of your own life & so feel better about yourself.

As to both reducing stress & retaking control & learnning to get out again, how about some baby steps like a walk early in the morning around 6 somewhere quiet to start & also at this time there's something in the sunsrays which helps reduce stress by the way it affects chemicals inour brain.

You might also try & see if you really have lost those friends, write letters to some, phone some (you don't need to see them at first) that way you can gage their reactions - your stress & depression might have led you to think you'd lost them as friends, when in fact you hadn't (of course there's always some who are just fair weather friends).

Your university studies? Could they be done by correspondence until you find a solution to your problem? Is there any job you could do from home? These are just ideas to get you started & help you retake control of your life & so hopefully ease the depression.

If you want feel free to email me. What you're going through is horrid but hopefully you will come through the depression & you will find a cure for the medical condition. Good luck
|

replied December 25th, 2003
Hi all

i want thank purple333 for your kind and generous advice. My motto before everything started was "when the tough gets going, the going get tough". But in the last couple of years it hasnt worked for me. Everytime i’ve tried to help myslef it backfires and things get worse or stay about the same. An example of this is visiting countless doctors only to be given priscriptive creams/lotions which at best didnt work and at worse gave me horrible rashes. The reasons I dropped out of university was because I had a hard time 1)concentrating, 2) I was having a hard time sleeping 3)i was crying alot 4) in between classes I was soo anxiety ridden that I would lock myself up in the toilet/ at the library so that I could avoid interacting with people. 5) the worst is that I couldnt relax at all. My muscles were stiff and I felt I had a huge gulf ball in my throat. All this was taking a toll on my body and mind so I made the decision to drop out. I feel as though I need to work on my emotional well being first before I can go back to school but someday god-willingly I hope I can. I've tried taking babysteps but so far they havent worked because when I do step outside my anxiety begins to build when it becomes to intense I just have to get back to my house. What is soo pathetic is that I once tried volunteering at a school (kindergarden level) and I stayed to help out for only 1hour. I couldnt last more than that and I came home running. Mind you, at the time I wasnt on any medication. I went to visit my doctor 2weeks ago and I asked her if she could put me on a waiting list to see a new psychiatrist she asked me what happened to the old one. I told her that I stopped seeing him because I was having problems keeping my appointments. My main problem was getting out of the house and taking the bus to visit my shrink, weak of me right? My family physician has got me taking 2 pills of prozac a day, I think they are helping and she's put me on a waiting list to see a new therapist. I hope I can get some inner strength from somewhere so that I can help myself because right now im my own obstacle. My goal, god-willingly, is to to be able to keep my regular appointments with the new shrink and if im able to accomplish that small goal I can then begin to volunteer. I think that’s a start. I hope it works out.
|

replied December 26th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Koshin,

ever heard the saying "setting yourself up to fail"? Twisted Evil this is when someone sets themselves a goal which they can't possibly reach & then say they don't think they can do it & guess what they don't so they have proved themselves right & failed.

When I say baby steps I mean baby as in tiny newborn baby!! Not trying something that nearly anyone would find daunting & possibly give up on!! That would be the volunteering especially with little kids - do you have a death wish????????????????????????????? Or are you just trying to make yourself worse to prove how bad you are?? I'm being harsh to try Smile hopefully to be kind & get through to you that baby steps are doing tiny things that you can achieve & hence will feel good about & so in due time move on to slightly bigger steps - or in other words you have to roll over then you learn to crawl then walk hanging on to something then walk but fall alot then toddle & so on - get it. Idea

your points 1 through 5 all go together (they're all part of the one thing the one problem or rather your reaction to your problem) so stop making a list of 5 things when it's all just, well let's call it, "anxiety". By this I mean limit the things you are worrying about where you can, so less to worrry about & you feel abit less overwhelmed.

The tough may get through but how?? Ever wondered?? Well I think that it's different for everyone, so that's why some of us have to keep trying to find the way that's right for us, here are a couple of suggestions to help you get started & you don't have to leave the house for either or even speak to anyone!!!!

1) smile - yep just smile every time you see a mirror look in it & smile, trust me it works you feel better, put signs up in yuour room that say smile or put up smileys & erspond to these every time you see them - why, what's the point - simple every action & has an equal & opposite reaction, thisa is needed in order to keep balance - this includes in people, so if you feel "bad" the opposite is to feel "good" with out both you become unequal, out of balance - which is where you are right now. So this would help you get back in balance. Laughing

2) write some letters to people who were your friends - the worst that can happen is that they don't write back the best is that you find out you're not so alone, either way you are no worse off than now. Smile

3) please check out that site I mentioned also sites for alternative medicines because you might find something that will help the seborrheic dermatitis - if you don't look you won't find - & isn't that why you came here to get help for all of you - you as a total person.

4) please check out the 5htp supplement - but i'm sure there's lots of other places my daughter (15 & about 75lbs & 5ft tall is on 50 mgs at night with food - she's been through hell but only for a short time & so hasn't been as badly affected as you so my guess is you might need more but 50mg certainly would be safe for you unless you're alot smaller etc than her!!) tryptophan (which is what becomes 5htp) is a naturally occurring substance in tonnes of foods but when we're overstressed our bodies don't work to convert it to 5htp & send it to our brains to destress us - that's a really layman's explanation!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed but please order some on-line & start taking it, i'm sure it won't be a problem with your meds (but of course check with your dr).

5) see I told you these were suggestions of things you can do to help yourself without leaving the house!!!!!!!!! Wink gee i'm good!! Wink
now back to suggestions - still on no. 5) please consider doing a course by correspondence(even if not university but some sort of a course which will give you something to do & think about other than your current situation). Arrow

6) is there anything you're really interested in - a tv show/ series/a genre of writing /historical/scifi - all of these things have groups you can join (on-line - you still don't have to go outside or talk to anyone!! :p ) & get involved with chat lines, writing fanfiction, commenting on latest news etc etc.

7) obviously you need professional help but I wonder whether there are any psychiatrists who "see" people on-line to start with - I mean you can do just about everything else on-line why not?? Idea once you developed some trust with the person & obviously you would have benefitted from taking & doing my suggestions :p Cool then you could start going out to see the person or another nearer you that they had recommended ??? Worth checking out, even if I do say so myself. Wink

Cool sorry eventually you do need to go out :p start with those early morning quiet peaceful walks I suggested last time & when able to do that comfortably work up slowly from there.

Nothing worthwhile happens overnight & getting you better is definitely worthwhile. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
|

replied December 28th, 2003
Koshen,
you've gotten a lot of replies, and I know it all seems hopeless so much of the time... I have the same condition, but it's only on the back of my neck, so it's in no way comparable to yours, and i'm not depressed due to this condition at all, but I am bipolar. I don't know if you've tried this, but my doctor prescribed what is called diflorasone diacetate 0.05% ointment. It stopped the itching and burning in just a couple of days, and I haven't had to use it since. I haven't checked to see if the rash is gone or not, but I sure feel better without the constant itching and burning, and there's no flakes. If at least you got the peeling, itching, burning, and flaking to stop, even if there is scarring, you can cover it up a lot with make-up, and i'm thinking lasar treatments may further reduce the scars. Also, i'm sure you know that stress itself can further aggravate dermatitis, so it really is in your best interest to reduce stress as much as possible. Anything you can do for yourself to feel good would be a real boost. Even a bubble bath (candlelit is even more fun!), listening to nature recordings (there are a lot online that you can download or buy), even things around the house that you can accomplish, doing crafts, etc. Self talk really helps too. Sure, we get depressed, but it isn't the end of the world. Sure, i'm deaf, but, hey, like you, there are worse things, although it's damned frustrating dealing with our conditions when we think no one else understands. But, it will pass, and taking the meds is a great first start. Now hopefully, the meds will reduce your anxiety enough for you to visit the pdoc and therapist, and get yourself in shape emotionally once again. Where you feel like you can't go out right now, or the times you do feel that way, maybe just opening the door and stepping outside for ten minutes in the sun, would that be safe? Anyway, just suggestions, but do try to find things that work for you, that make you feel good once again. Anyway, I do hope things get better for you, and keep us posted on your progress.
|

Hey

when I try to help myself, I really try(emphasis on try) to help myself. If i'm trying to improve my life, I dont know why I would "set myself up to fail".

Children are wonderful and innocent beings! They have a happy-go-lucky outlook on life. There happiness, joy and laughter is contagious. I've always enjoyed being around children, thus I thought it was a good idea to start volunteering with kids. I never thought and still dont think that volunteering with kids is a death wish. When the idea of volunteering popped into my head I was thinking/ hoping that the children’s enthusiasm on life would rub off on me.

Yes, my points through 1-5 all are connected to my health condition. I was merely trying to show some of the other ways that the seborrheic dermatitis has affected my life besides my scalp and face. You are right purple333, my problem is the seborrheic dermatitis and my reaction to it. This is whats causing my anxiety and depression.

Although, I must say that my old psychiatrist seems to think that my past (childhood) has a lot to do with my fixation/obsession over the seborrheic dermatitis(on scalp & face) and why i'm having a hard time overcoming it. I feel like if I didn’t have the seborrhea ,all my problems would disappear. Even though I was exhibiting some of the symptoms of a depressed person before seborrhea, my life was so busy that I didn’t have time to dwell on it.Therefore, I disagree with him. I've become really self conscience, insecure, an introvert, more sensitive, extremely shy and unhappy since the condition. I feel like the real/old me is trapped somewhere in my body and further locked up by the 4 walls of my house. I have myself to blame for locking myself up at home, but this is my coping mechanism. All I know is that, if one is in a stressful situation they will do anything/everything to relieve it and that’s why I lock myself up. To relieve/lighten the stress.

Another time I tried to volunteer at an organization and I lasted for 2-3 weeks. Once again I had a hard time getting myself on the bus and getting downtown(that’s where the office was located). The seborrhea started acting up more than usual and throughout the days I was volunteering my hair began to fall out due to stress. Once again to relieve the some of the stress/anxiety I stopped volunteering. Also, I wasn’t taking medication during this time. Im sharing this with y’all to show that in the past i’ve tried overcoming my problem and I haven’t sat around doing nothing.

In the past I didnt believe depression existed because of my culture(im from africa). Furthermore my people think that depression is another word for weakness. Now, im a sure believer since iv become depressed. Im so sick and tired of people telling me to just snap out of it. Thats when in a split second I wish to god if he could make them feel the way I do, but I always go back to my lord and take those words back because I wouldnt wish depression on my worst enemy.

Nansmom, thanks for the advice. From beginning to the end, you were kind.I was wondering, was the ointment you were using a steroid? I only ask because a lot of the creams/ointments I was prescribed had 1 or 2% cortisone(steroid in it) and over using them has it thinned out my facial skin.

I have hypothyroid and im on medication (.025mg synthroid).When im stressed out/anxiety builds I feel like I have a huge lump in my throat. Im wondering does stress/anxiety affect one’s thyroid or do I need to increase my dosage?
Also my skin has begun breaking out since the seborrhea. I haven’t been able to find a good cleanser that helps with the breakouts and doesn’t aggravate the seborrhea. Does anyone know a cleanser that would be helpful?

Purple333 thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try some of them out. By the way, the devil faces you use I don’t quite get. In your first response they were directed towards the computer, which was fine. But in your 2nd reply you sent another devil face which was directed at me, right? Why?

Enough of my yakkity yak! Please respond with positive suggestions
|

Hi koshen,
thanks for your kind words too, funny how these simple little things can give us such a boost Smile about the cream, gee, I really don't know if it's a steroid or not, I can try to look up the info on it later, if I can find a site. I'm at my sis's house right now, gonna help her clean tomorrow. She has osteoarthritis, and her back, hips, and knees pain her to no end. She has 2 of her kids staying with her (both adults) plus one of her daughter's friends. Well, do you think they can help her out? Hahaha. She and her hubby really need the extra rent help, so I guess it's of some use to keep the kiddies around Smile and I really don't mind helping her. The kids do clean up quite a bit, I mean, they don't let the house get totally trashed. But for any extra? It's as if ya've given them a death sentence lol. Anyway, back to the subject at hand... Errr face, maybe? I'm not sure about your thyroid medicines either, although if those are not at the proper level, your thyroid hormones being out of whack can cause depression as well. Has your Dr. Taken any blood draws to check your thyroid? This should be done on a regular basis until it is at a therapuetic level, then less often after that. But, please, don't mess with the dosage without contacting your Dr. First. (oh, I don't think you are doing that, but I always gotta add things like that... The nurse mom in me, ya know?!)
i do think that stress can aggrivate the thyroid disorders, but i'm doubtful that stress itself is what brings it on. Don't take that as the gospel truth though, I could be wrong there. But, back to my old advice, no matter what, it sure does help to reduce the stress Smile
well, I guess i've blabbed on long enough tonight, it's time for me to take a break and get some other things done on here tonight.
|

replied December 31st, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Koshin,

thank you so much for asking me to explain rather than taking offence or making assumptions, that was really nice of you.

The "devil" face I used "against you" was "twisted evil" & what I meant by it was that sometimes our subconscious minds are pretty twisted things & they cause us to mess up even when what we are intending is good. Does that make any sense? I hope so.

I did not mean that you were trying to set yourself up to fail nor did I mean that you were not really honestly trying to help yourself. I know you were & are. But our subconscious minds are really incredibly strong & they trick us (hence "twisted evil") & so we fail. I agree that working with kids can be fun, but it's also hard & as you said that just getting out to the dr was a problem I felt that you were unintentionally taking on too much, that your desire to be better & be somewhere fun was overtaking your commonsense (your subconscious therefore put you into a situation which you couldn't keep up so >>. Failure & you feel worse instead of better).

So that's why I said baby steps really do need to be tiny, when ew feel bad what we need in order to feel good is success/achievement of our goals which then gives us more faith in ourselves & in our ability to take the next slightly bigger step.

I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear.
|

Hello

nansmom, you're right! Kind words put a smile on one's face Smile

i'd really appreciate it if you could look up the info on the ointment. I hope your sister's osteoarthritis improves, god-willingly. It is generous of you to help her out, in her time of need. Any kind action you put out, sooner or later will come back to you 10folds. Smile

my doctor has taken blood tests before. Actually, my tsh was taken a month ago. It was way beyond the normal range; I think it was at 8.0. It was my fault why it was so high. I hadnt taken my medication 4weeks before the blood test. I just wanted to see if by chance my thyroids improved on there own, silly me Confused I have an appointment with my doc 2weeks from now to check my tsh again. She wants to determine if im at the proper level. The thing is, when I get stressed I feel as though there is a golf ball in my throat. That's when I think my doc needs to increase my meds. But when my stress/anxiety level is low, the golf ball feeling disappears. Is this all in my head? Confused Im afraid of bringing this up to my doc because I feel as though she thinks im a little nutty.Lol

im working on reducing my stress level, ive began exercising at home. It helps a little.

Thanks for replying back purple333 Smile you and nansmom are wonderful human beings, god-bless you both. Have a happy new year filled with new hope, new joy and new beginnings.
|

Experienced User
Have you ever tried elidel? Just something I use on my daughter and it works like a dream! :d
|

replied January 1st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I know of lots of people (me too) who have stopped meds awhile before a test just to see if they still needed the meds, sometimes they've found they didn't so personally unless it's lifethreatening I think stopping meds for a while before a test can be educational!!

No!!!! It is not in your head, stress/anxiety is real & they create real symptoms, symptoms which get worse when our stress gets worse - the symptoms may be a golf ball feeling, headache, nausea, whatever - they are still real & they are not in your head, but you(all of us) need to try & recognize when our symptoms are the result (or may be the result) of stress/anxiety & try to find ways to relax/detress so as to reduce the symptoms.

But you should always tell your dr because it may not be due to stress it may be a real problem, so always advise your Dr.

Thanks for the praise & you have a fantastic 2004 too.
|

replied January 6th, 2004
Hello

purple, thanks for reassuring me that its not all in my head.

In the next appointment, i'll bring up elidel to my doctor. Thanks for the advice monuz1226
|

replied January 16th, 2004
Anonymous
?
Iwas gonna suggest elidel also
you are a brave person even if you don't think so!!!
You also have a lot of strength.
I wish you luck!!!!
I know this is drastic I know someone who had a face peel to get rid
of terrible achne could it help you?
I don't know for sure.
I will be thinking of you.
How have you been?
|

replied January 17th, 2004
Hi

thank you for post. Its very wonderful. I'll bring up elidel when I make an appointment to see a new dermatologist.

Im doing good. How are you?

Thank you for wishing me luck. Im wishing you a new year filled with hope, joy, health and happiness. Smile
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski