User Profile
I have submitted all the above info on my 19 year old son. He was recently dx with Genetic Gran Mal. He has had all the tests, MRI, CT and EEG and is on meds.
The question I have is about his EEG. We dont see the neuro until 2/23/06 again and I would like to know what his report means before then.
His EEG report says " Focal sharp activity is noted in right frontal region which has the quality of excessive neuronal discharge compatible with Focal seizure activity. Recurrent burts of high voltage Delta activity and polyspike slow wave activity greatest in the anterior head regions noted during hyperventilation.
I was just wondering if someone could translate this to english so we could understand.
Thank you so much,
Edith

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2006
Epilepsy Answer A134
In epilepsy some group of neurons are hyperactive, sending excessive neuron-electrical discharges throughout the nervous system. If the primary hyperactive neurons (in the motor zone) are isolated (other neurons are not affected), this is called "partial epilepsy". Eexcessive contractions of some muscles accompany partial epilepsy, but the conscious brain is not affected. If the neural-electrical sctivity (excessive) from the primary focus overtake the whole brain,the muscles of the entire body will start to contract and conscious control is lost (generalized epilepsy). Both partial and generalized epilepsy attacks are usually self-limited (stop spontaneously in 2-3 min.). If the attack lasts longer that, this is called "epileptic status". Clinical manifestations depend upon the focus location. An EEG is used to detect neural hyperactivity and its location in the brain (right frontal region-in your son's case). Other examinations (MRI and CT-scan) are used to identify the reason for neural hyperactivity. Reasons for epilepsy can be known (tumors, brain infections, vascular malformations, cerebral bleeding or infarcts, aneurysms, brain traumas…) or unknown (idiopathic). Idiopathic epilepsies are usually genetically conditioned. For more detailed explanation of your EEG-report, you can ask a neurologist.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.