Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

My Experiment... (Page 1)

I am a 42 year old white male who was diagnosed with gout in 1999. I suspect I had been suffering since 1994. My lifestyle in the 90s had a lot of rich foods and alcohol. My weight during this time has varied between 180 and 225.

I used to be on various gout drugs and grew weary of the complications. The final straw was when the damn doctor made me get emergency mris over thanksgiving weekend. Nothing was damaged but I quit seeing him.

I took matters in my own hands and as I am an engineer began a long road of discovery and experimentation. I'll rate each step 1 to 10 with 1 being worst and 10 being gout free.

My first experiment was to radically alter my diet to exclude alcohol and most rich foods. As you all know, hard to do for a length of time. I did this for 6 months and reduced the duration and frequency but did not eliminate it. Rated 3.

My next stab at this was to use a product called gout cure. It helped much better but I had to continue to abstain from alcohol and rich foods. The ingredients were advertised to clean out the liver and kidneys which to an engineer made sense. Clogged filters don't work well at cleaning anything. Rated 4.

The next experiement had me examine neutralizing acid via lemon juice and water. I still used gout cure. This went on for 3 months. The combination seemed to work well but occasional pain was experienced. Duration and frequency was at the lowest. I noted the tophi reducing in my body. My sleep pattern improved and I could go the night without discomfort. Rated 7.

The next phase had me focused more on acid reduction/neutralization. I bought coral calcium powder and swilled a 12 ounce glass each morning. Maybe one teaspoon of the calcium. I ceased gout cure and saw yet another jump in quality. Rated 8.

I am now better understanding my situation. Ph is critical. On my own I tried baking soda. The positive results were immediate. I actually had entire weeks of zero pain. The tophi reduced. My urine ph was being measured daily and spot checked during the day. I was steadily alkaline. As a test I ceased the baking soda for several days. My urine was very acid. I did a shot of whiskey and saw the ph move to the max acid the ph could measure. A teaspoon of baking soda in water made the urine alkaline once again. My tophi began to reduce, soften and break up. My girl friend noted my elbows looked 20% reduced. I'd say 25%. Now I discover another problem.

As my blood was saturated to an extent that uric acid crystals could solidify and 'reef up' the baking soda reduced the saturation in liquid and the reduced saturation caused uric acid to come out of solid into solution. If I was not steadily on the baking soda and lapsed i'd get a severe attack. A quick bit of baking soda did radically reduce the pain in 8 hours. So, as I get better I find I need to be on top of the baking soda. Saturated blood can recrystalize. Pain ensues. Rated 9.

My next step is to do a further change and reduce soft drinks to one a day. I am allowing myself some alcohol and rich foods. I am trying to find baking soda capsules. I find that club soda alkalizes blood nicely so I keep a few bottles at work and in the car. My tophi are reducing steadily. I expect complete reduction in 6 to 9 months. Occassional pain is experienced but is bearable.

Anyways, my 2 cents. I am no doctor so I encourage everyone to see their doctor before trying this. Your results may vary.

One thing I appreciate is that tumors and various diseases both thrive in acid blood and promote acid blood. Your body works best in the alkaline range, not acid. Put another way, a sick body promotes further sickness. I find the baking soda solution to be cheap ($0.49 a box), easy to administer and for me it works. I am hoping that I can lose about 15 pounds to help matters along. If I get down to just one glass of baking soda water a day I will most likely continue this for the rest of my life and the great part is I can enjoy my old favorites again. Just in moderation.

Anyways, good luck and good health!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ggoede1
|

replied January 9th, 2006
a Great Proof of Concept...
This weekend, as proof mostly to myself, I binged intentionally on booze. Specificall, jim beam and coke. The sugar from the coke alone should have cased an attack. I drank one 750 ml bottle of beam each night for 3 nights. Between drinks i'd do about 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in water. I measured my urine ph every 2 hours. While I got snockered good the gout did not attack and at no point was ph acid.

Granted, this is sorta like testing a bullet proof vest while wearing it but I needed to convince myself that this was not placebo. The last time I did this I was in pain immediately and for 10 days. Keeping ph checked with baking soda prevented a certain attack.

I won't be doing that again but it is good proof that it works. I'll go back to my old routines, however. Having gout at least teaches you moderation.
|

Experienced User
May I ask, how many 1/2 tsp of baking soda in water did you have within how many hours? Thanks.
|

During the jim beam experiment I think it was 1/4 teaspoon every few drinks. I think as I rechecked urine ph once I was solidly in the alkaline range I eased off. So, say fri/sat/sun each day, a total of less than 3 teaspoons. While drinking it was 1/4 teaspoon every few drinks. Sorry, can't be more precise.

Suffice it to say that I am going back to my old ways and not starting to drink again. What is nice is that I can have a few if I want without the fear of an attack.

On a regular day I just do maybe 1/2 teaspoon in the morning and again when I get home. I steer clear of soda pop. I keep club soda at work and that helps. As the tophi reduces and vanishes i'll ease off the baking soda.
|

replied January 10th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks a lot for your reply.
|

replied January 10th, 2006
Experienced User
Ggoede 1 --

here's a tip from one engineer to another. Don't ignore the possibility of sleep apnea being the underlying cause of your gout. If you have sleep apnea and allow it to continue, it can lead to other life-threatening conditions. According to a recent article in the new england journal of medicine, people with sleep apnea have twice the risk of dying within a specified period of time as compared to those without sleep apnea.
|

replied January 15th, 2006
a Week Later...
I did that horrible jim beam experiment and a week later I have only experienced minor discomfort.

I haven't had any luck in finding baking soda pills so i'll still have to eye ball what I am mixing. I would say that on any given morning I am using a quarter teaspoon of baking soda in water and a similar measure when I get home.

The weight loss is so far 5 pounds with another 10 pounds to go. About the only thing I am doing is giving up coke et al and not eating candy bars. I should comfortably get to 185 in 2 or 3 weeks.

I spent a few days spot checking urine ph and found that if I avoid sugars in coke and candy I can keep the ph alkaline fairly easily. It doesn't suddenly shoot to acid unless I add sugar. I haven't seen wild ph swings unless I instigate it.
|

In Addition...
I have been experimenting with beverages that are tasty yet free of sugar. I will have to confess a 6 can of coke addiction that I needed to break. In any case I have found that club soda substitutes well for coke in 'adult beverages' and if you are willing to add flavoring it also works. I tried some divinci flavors my gf uses for coffee and it seems to work. You get a fizzy drink that both alkalizes and tastes good. Who said good health had to be bland!
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I do not have gout but this is awesome! I had also heard that alkaline p.H is a help with gout but with the research you are doing as well as the articulate posting. You are helping many folks to a life of pain free living.

P.S. Since you cannot find baking soda capsules, why not try to develope and patent something. As an engineer, you will probably be able to find some complex formulation for the gelatin capsule cases and use your favorite baking soda.

Its worth a shot. Kinda like vapoorize or flan in a can :)

(products from the movie "envy")
|

replied January 22nd, 2006
Someone Else Asked...
Just to clarify I use a glass of water and 1/4 teaspoon in the am then again when I get home. Total intake of water each day is about 96 ounces of water. Or, 8 12 ounce glasses. I steer clear of unnecessary sugar but that is due in part to losing 15 pounds. Once my weight is to 185 I will allow some soft drinks or whatever but in vastly moderated servings. Sugar does acidify your blood.

I have not had a gout attack in a very long time. Swelling is much less and where I have tophi I am noticing a steady shrinkage. The tophi are softening and shrinking.

To an extent I am back on a diet I enjoy and I am less focused on what foods I am eating. Baking soda works for me but your mileage may differ. I also drink club soda for a break from baking soda. Maybe 6 cans a week. I haven't seen where baking soda pills are offered but a friend suggested I could make capsules.
|

replied March 15th, 2006
Still Chugging Away...
I have upped the baking soda to about 2 teaspoons per day with tophi still burning off. This seems to work for men but I am no doctor. You should consult your doctor before doing this. Interestingly, the cold I got a few weeks ago was something that passed in 3 days. Possibly due to an alkaline blood ph? Was the bady ph too hostile for the bug to live?

Does anyone know if you can post pics? I'd be happy to share pics of tophi dissolving over time.
|

replied March 15th, 2006
Typo...
Yes, it works for men but also women. I meant to type 'me'.
|

replied March 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) tablets have been available over the counter in drugstores for ages. Bs tablets from drugstores cost 20~30 times or more than baking soda from grocery stores.
|

replied March 22nd, 2006
I'll stick to plain old baking soda, then.
|

replied April 2nd, 2006
Found the Tablets...
I was stuned but there is a minimalist alka-seltzer out there. That will alkalyze the blood. For those who don't know, taking baking soda through an airport causes unnecessary problems. Think about it; loose white powder? Anyways, jyy2 is right, plain alka-seltzer is 30 times more expensive.
|

replied May 3rd, 2006
Having no history with this forum, i'm not sure how the group is split regarding homeopathic remedies for the big g.....

My approach is very similar to yours, ggoede1. Your posts are encouraging.... I, too, grew tired of my doctor's ineptitude when it came to gout. Allo, colchicine, etc, wreaked havoc on me in ways that I didn't like. I tried all kinds of herbal remedies, celery seed, cherry juice, etc with moderate success. I finally happened upon the ph theory, and put it into practice for awhile, but then lapsed.

I just weathered my first major attack in three years. I have decided to manage my diet better, avoid the usual suspects at all costs, and maintain a healthy ph.

I'm currently using something called buffer-ph, made by vaxa. It's homeopathic, and about $30 a month, but I have incorporated it into my daily regime for a month now. The gout has subsided, and my ph is neutralized. If I know i'm going to be going out to dinner with friends, drinking wine, and possibly eating some meat, I will double up on the buffer-ph.

So far, so good.... To be continued.
|

replied May 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
What are in buffer-ph by vaxa? They are: baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), potassium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, etc.
|

replied May 3rd, 2006
jyy2 wrote:
what are in buffer-ph by vaxa? They are: baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), potassium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, etc.

etc = aloe vera, berberine alkaloid, cucumber, homeopathics:, graphites, natrum phosphoricum, nux vomica, rheum officinale, robinia pseudacacia, natrum muriaticum, natrum sulfuricum, kali carbonicum, kali oxalicum, kali phosphoricum, kali sulfuricum, magnesium phosphoricum, chamomile, kali muriaticum, sorbitol
|

replied September 21st, 2006
An Update...
I am still doing about 1/3 teaspoon of bs in the am then again when I get home. I vastly increased my water intake to about 1 gallon a day and have 6 cups of green tea a day. Consequently, I pee a lot. The rationale is that I am giving my body ample opportunity to neutralize and remove the uric acid. I have done the water deal for nealy a month and I have seen improvement.
|

replied August 6th, 2007
Almost a Year Later...
When I was still seeing the witch doctor for my gout several years ago I was told that if I get rid of some weight I'd be better off supposedly because you have a finite ability to neutralize uric acid. I think my doctor wanted me to get down to 180-175.

I spent the last year at a company in a miserable contract and during this time I rather abused myself in food and drink. About 6 weeks after signing on I found I had to complete 1 year before I could leave. Leaving before would have cost me $7,000 I'd have to repay this place.

In any case let's say I was quite miserable and while I used the BS daily I also packed on some pounds due to a lack of activity and beer. I think I was at 205 pounds when I left. It is now August and I lost 25 pounds.

I did go through a 2 week gout attack. The right side arm/leg then the left leg. I am down to 180 and the lack of beer/alcohol was a big reduction in empty calories.

I still take BS but I find that a half teaspoon works just as well. I will for a time switch to ACV or club soda just to be different. Tophi are still receding and breaking up in the elbows and elsewhere.

What I think happened was the reduction in weight over 6 weeks initiated a gout attack and my uric acid probably went up as fat was consumed during the process. My hope is that now I am down to 180 (I haven't seen that weight since 1994) I might be better able to deal with uric acid better.

I did discover that beer, especially wheat beer, is much worse than liquor for gout sufferers so I don't drink beer at all. By the way, I still drink but my drinking happens on Fridays or Saturdays. I may have gout but I should be able to have some fun!
|
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....